PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to fit TBs your self?

Mattie
01-12-2005, 10:44
has any1 ever done it?....theres alot of talk about fitting your own turbo....what about TBs?

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 11:29
why not? if you get a full kit im sure it would be pretty straight forward, not be as complicated as a turbo conversion surely.
Think it would just be inlet manifold off, airbox and tb, on goes throttle bodies and then a remap. obviously there will be a little more involved but cant see it being alot

Fred
01-12-2005, 11:53
the mechanical side of things isn't really that hard if you're having JUST TB's, but unless you like wiring i would suggest getting someone who knows what they're doing to install the ECU and loom + mapping

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 12:45
if you dont do it yourself though you will never learn, if your confident have a go! how do you think people know how to do these kinda things. they get there hands dirty lol. but if you mess up then be prepared to pay for it doing right :P

VIPERONE
01-12-2005, 13:54
when i fitted mehdis gearbox on the tb white beast i was amazed at all the extra wiring.. fuk that..

Mattie
01-12-2005, 14:38
how much would the parts cost???

extra wiring from wot 2 where gunner? lol

2 live
01-12-2005, 15:06
a decent ecu will come with a loom tho, wont be a unplug old loom and plug in new tho... lol

fittin bodies will be pretty easy i reckon.....its not as though they super fragile, or hard to access, or just plain hard to fit, but as fred says, the wiring could b a bit of a problem. but like i say, most ecu manufacturers will make up a loom for a few quid extra.

Craig
01-12-2005, 15:21
thres loads of room under the bay with the TBies on!

you can even take the oil filter out without anything getting in the way, and possibly store a small bag where the OE airbox used to go!

omex is a lot of wires, but its basically replaced almost all the OE loom!

Mattie
01-12-2005, 16:51
the engine wont have 2 cum out will it?

dont suppose u cd supply us with sum pics of ur TBs cd ya craig? :P

Craig
01-12-2005, 17:57
sure can!!! :)

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89264#89264

Fred
01-12-2005, 19:23
all of the OMEX ECU's have a 36pin connector to the ECU (so 36 wires in total)

not that bad you say????

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/Fredmrsclio/IMG_1093.jpg

hum, i'll get my soldering iron out!!!

Lunner
01-12-2005, 20:22
Wiring diagram, 36 places t go to...only 36 solders, shoudl take a wizz like you about 36 seconds :lol:

Mattie
01-12-2005, 22:56
**** about! :shock:

nice 1 craig! :D

so lukin at that, its not just a case of fitin the TBs, there the obvious adapters u will have 2 make/buy 2 fit them and theres the case of repositioning the throtle cable????

BenR
01-12-2005, 22:56
fred, can you solder now that you've learnt to tig!? :lol:

BenR
01-12-2005, 23:16
I'm doing a corolla ae86 on bodies at the mo, i'll get some pics of the wires that i'm upto my eyeballs in.

Trick is, if you want the install to look as tidy and clean as possible, there is alot of old loom to take out whilst keeping systems running, and putting in the new loom whilst splicing into the old loom which doesnt exist any longer, to keep dash/pump/starter systems etc.....pain in the ass.

stan
03-12-2005, 17:27
thats how i done mine....took original loom, and remover all the OE operating sensors, so as to leave dash sensors, charging and starting loom, like ben says. then made Engine loom to suit the Emerald plug, and put the 2 looms together. finnished in the corrogated plastic tubing stuff. took me about 2 evenings. looks totallly OE!

Its not as difficult as it looks...u have a plug pin-out telling you wot each pin does....so u take a length of wire from wotever pin on the plug to the corresponing sensor. actually, the hard part is getting the sensor plugs physically in the right position.