PDA

View Full Version : Low temp thermo, winter issues...

dannyt
30-11-2005, 14:06
I've got these fitted to the valver and she takes quite a while to warm up in the mornings, both water and oil, with the weather being like it is!

I'm just wondering if it's a bad thing for the engine etc at all and should i replace it with the standard thermostat or just carry on with this one?

Cheers

Danny

Swervin_Mervin
30-11-2005, 14:44
TBH, the low temp stat is pointless Danny. I've now got a normal one. In summer it was running no different with the normal one.

smokey
30-11-2005, 15:14
Mine makes quite a bit of difference in the summer with my low temp fan switch :D

FlamingMonkey
30-11-2005, 15:21
Mine makes quite a bit of difference in the summer with my low temp fan switch :D

Same here

Daz.
30-11-2005, 16:33

Same here

Ditto.... in fact I disagree I think they're a very good idea..

And the fact that (well mine anyway) takes the same amount of time to warm up as the old one but doesn't overheat makes it irrelevant which you have in the winter as the car never gets hot enough for it to kick in....

Swervin_Mervin
30-11-2005, 16:52
The fan swith is the key and that works a treat, I agree.

All the thermostat does is start pumping coolant round the system at a lower temperature. It doesn't actually help cool the system at all. This is why, in winter, it takes longer for the engine to warm up. This, I'm sure, could have more serious effects. Why not run without a stat full stop? Mine did for 9 months and seemed no different to when the low temp one was in. However it can cause damage. I'm not knowledgable enough to know how though.

Swervin_Mervin
30-11-2005, 16:55

Same here

And the fact that (well mine anyway) takes the same amount of time to warm up as the old one but doesn't overheat makes it irrelevant which you have in the winter as the car never gets hot enough for it to kick in....

There is something wrong with your engine if it doesn't reach operating temps in winter. Once the engine is warmed up these temps will both be over what is required for the stat to allow coolant to flow.

Daz.
30-11-2005, 17:32

Same here

There is something wrong with your engine if it doesn't reach operating temps in winter. Once the engine is warmed up these temps will both be over what is required for the stat to allow coolant to flow.

I didn't mean that sorry I meant theres no need for the funtion of low temp in winter, the car never gets hot enough (i.e over half way on the gauge) to require it, so (in my limited knowledge lol) each is the same as the other...

Daz.
30-11-2005, 17:33
^^^ wonder how many time you can quote a quote.. look at the pretty boxes! 8)

Lunner
30-11-2005, 17:49
My car with the normal thermostat takes alot longer to warm up in winter A becasue of the bitterly cold air, and B becasue as soon as the collant starst to get warm the heater is on full wack, as i find it really uncomphy to drive in a coat, so i'm sat there shivering in my T-shirt

Swervin_Mervin
30-11-2005, 17:53
I get you. Mine runs no hotter in summer though than it did with the low temp stat in.

Swervin_Mervin
30-11-2005, 17:57
My car with the normal thermostat takes alot longer to warm up in winter A becasue of the bitterly cold air, and B becasue as soon as the collant starst to get warm the heater is on full wack, as i find it really uncomphy to drive in a coat, so i'm sat there shivering in my T-shirt

I have no choice but to wear a coat. :( I will get the matrix done for next winter.

BRUN
30-11-2005, 19:44
ive got both stat and fan switch

the fan switch is staying on but the stat is coming out to be replaced by an OE 89c one

dannyt
01-12-2005, 08:15
why are you going down that route Brun, do you prefer it?

i think the low temp stat is spot on in summer, but the engine does now take longer to warm up and so was wondering what effects that would have on engine wear etc?

Danny

BRUN
01-12-2005, 09:38
cos my heaters get warm but not hot and im hoping its just because of this stat

your right though, in summer it is very good

Swervin_Mervin
01-12-2005, 11:05
That stat won't affect your heater temps Brun. The coolant gets to a certain temp and that's it. It's only cooled at any point by the rad. The stat just allows it to start flowing round the block at a certain temp.

Again though, I maintain that if you all kept your low temp fan switch and put your normal stats back in you wouldn't see a difference in temps.

BRUN
01-12-2005, 20:12
well, its worth a try

i still think its possible its the stat, my cooling system is very very clean and the rad itself is near brand new so it does cool very well

Swervin_Mervin
02-12-2005, 11:01
My cooling system is virtually new as well mate. The stat has nothing to do with the flow of coolant through the matrix though.

Chris H
03-12-2005, 17:01
not helped by the missing/corroded one way valve to the aux water pump.

Normally missing or free flowing so water circulates constanly through the rad.

But theres no need for low temp stats or fan switches, its stupid to fit them if your car is actually working properly.

richy
03-12-2005, 17:14
i run a std stat but now have a low temp fan switch, mainly cus the old one packed up and my fan didnt come on leading to extremely hot temps!

Tom_16v
05-12-2005, 17:27
Swervin_Mervin has got it spot on.

Low temp 'stats are pointless, and even more so in this weather.

Low temp fan switchs are the reason why the engine stay's cool in summer, nothing to do with the 'stat.