PDA

View Full Version : Metal Glue

Lunner
30-11-2005, 12:43
Remember Mark saying ages ago they used glue that was used to glue porche chassis together, but he never said what it was.

Have tried getting hold of him, but he must be rushed off his feet as he hasn't returned my calls :(

Basically i'm looking for the strongest metal to metal glue, as in the bolt has to be stronger then the metal itself.

Ordered some 'Quicksteel' from tweeks, but that is weak as anything, i can break a 2p sized bt in half with my bare hands

Lunner
01-12-2005, 14:43
Anyone?

stew
01-12-2005, 15:12
No ideas. I've heard of the stuff, but not sure where to get it! No way you can weld it? :roll:

Swervin_Mervin
01-12-2005, 15:57
I asked elsewhere for you mate. One guy mentioned ESP110 to bond Alu and suggested trying to find that and then related products on the net.

Another suggested ringing a tech bod at 3M.

Swervin_Mervin
01-12-2005, 16:40
What do you need it for Lunner?

Lunner
01-12-2005, 17:08
Its for a uni project, have to bond 2 pieces of mild steel together in teh lightest possible way, obvously glue is lighter then weld, but the meterial has to fail before the join.

Spoke to a bloke at 3m today and i think i've hopefully blagged a free sample of their structural range(i think) which is designed to be strong than teh material its bonding, failing that Bostik i found do a 50g tube of structural member glue, but this is £12 + P&P

Swervin_Mervin
01-12-2005, 17:10
Ah right. Thought it might be that.

Lunner
01-12-2005, 17:26
I also wanna glue the bit that holds the outer casing of the clutch cable back on on my newer gearbvox thats sat in my garden, as i snapped it off :oops:

lewis_willy2
01-12-2005, 21:01
my best m8s old man is a welder and i went to him with my first clio to get the boot smoothed and a plate welded at the bottom, he sed it wudnt happen, but try ARALDITE, this stuff is solid, you get 2 tubes of stuff and you mix them together, held my smoothed boot together a treat, jus dont let it dry on your hands!

BenR
01-12-2005, 23:01
Its for a uni project, have to bond 2 pieces of mild steel together in teh lightest possible way, obvously glue is lighter then weld, but the meterial has to fail before the join.

Spoke to a bloke at 3m today and i think i've hopefully blagged a free sample of their structural range(i think) which is designed to be strong than teh material its bonding, failing that Bostik i found do a 50g tube of structural member glue, but this is £12 + P&P

Go find a really really really good tig welder, the sort of guy who can tig up a coke can.......gauranteed it'll be lighter than any amount of glues you will have to use.

Glues, or epoxies are good sometimes, but proper welding formes one peice out of 2 so you dont have 2 joint faces.

Lunner
02-12-2005, 00:03
OK....do you know a proper good tig welder, cus i sure as hell don't lol

TA
02-12-2005, 22:43
Ordered some 'Quicksteel' from tweeks, but that is weak as anything, i can break a 2p sized bt in half with my bare hands

doesnt mean it will be that weak at joining! try it!