PDA

View Full Version : Reprofiled Cams

Lunner
30-11-2005, 10:40
Advantages/disadvantages over new cams

Discuss....

Plattsy
30-11-2005, 10:55
you can have them profiled to your own spec really, just be as strong as standard cams i guess. Price wise cant be that cheap tho really.... no idea but id say advantage is you can have them to whatever profile you want!

BenR
30-11-2005, 11:03
You can have a new cam to any profile you want.
Regrinds you are limite to a maximum amount that you can take off the BCD (base circle diameter, or the 'round' part of the cam). You need to take off more to chage the profile by a larger amount. So you cant take off that much before you reach the outer limits of the lifters clearance takeup, then it will tap to high heaven.

Downfalls after that is you will experience massive valve acceleration rates for any given profile compared to once with a larger BCD ground from a new blank. Increased valve float and bounce, and initial snap openings that can be more than twice the speed of a cam with a larger BCD (bad!).

All in all, regrinds are poor. They hurt valve motion, acceleration and valvetrain harmonics. Which is why i never use regrinds.

There is a reason they are cheap.

Lunner
30-11-2005, 11:29
Its just i've been offered a cammed, ported and polished head for £250, after talking to him turns out piper reground his cam to about a 260 degree angle, but i supose i can always temporarily run the reground cam, or switch back to a std cam.

Ben, if i was to post up some pics that he has sent me of the headwork he has had done wouldn you be able to comment of hte quality of it, or would you need to see the head its self

BenR
30-11-2005, 11:32
A mild regrind is ok.

You cna post some pics, but without disassembly i cannot comment totally, especially if pics are only from the manifold ends.

Pics need to be well lit and of high resolution, then i can comment to a decent nature, but without seeing the valve seats, i cannot put any 'yay or nay' comments really.........unless the thing just sucks.

Oh, on that topic.....i'll be posting some pics of a LAD head i have! lol

Lunner
30-11-2005, 11:37
I'm ready for a good laugh.

http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/head/DSC00028.JPG

http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/head/DSC00030.JPG

http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/head/DSC00029.JPG

Lunner
30-11-2005, 11:38
One thing i am suprised by, after seeing various heads, including ones you have done ben, is the overall dirtyness of the whole thing, esp the cam, and where the cam sits

BenR
30-11-2005, 11:46
The cheek! lol

My heads are clean as funk before they leave, even the oil staining is gone.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/BenRAWT/honda/P1020130.jpg

But i cant really tell from those pics sorry, all i can see is a single angle seat (which dont properly is 100% fine, but requires the correct port and chamber side blend), but i need to see down the ports to the valve head ideally.

From what i can see, i would put it in the average pile with most of the heads i see.

Lunner
30-11-2005, 11:49
Sorry ben, jusr re-read my post, and what i mean is most of the heads i see, including all of yours are absoloutly spotless, this one isn't, still recon it woudl be worth it for £250, for the short term like

Lunner
30-11-2005, 11:51
http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/head/DSC00024.JPG

BenR
30-11-2005, 11:55
oh lol.

If its been running, it will be filthy.

But if its new, its an indication of work.

Cleanliness is next to godlyness they say.........not that i'm anywhere near religious or care about that.

Jason
30-11-2005, 12:01
Lunner,
If I am corect, this is an rsi head.
I think 250quid is kind of 2much for this.
+ it looks like it's been running on very hight compresion...

BenR
30-11-2005, 12:08
£250 is cheap as chips for a 'ported' head and cam.

One of my properly done 8v heads will cost you about £450, and with an all out job costing between £600-800.

I dont know any decent porter who will bother to put his hand to a head for £250, there is no point really.

Jason
30-11-2005, 12:25
:oops: Sorry, wrong estimation.
Still, I wouldn't push that kind of money to an 8v.
I'd get an F7P instead :wink:

Lunner
30-11-2005, 12:36
Insurance my good man, insurance!

Aye, never been run, was done and then he never bothered putting it on the car.

IIRC porting cost him around £400, and cam reprofiling was around £110.

Thinking its defo worth it for the short term till i can get proper cams

Jason
30-11-2005, 12:48

I live in Greece :P
I haven't got a clue how your insurance works :oops:

Ben, any suggestions on what will make a willy cam
work out it's best on my F7p :?:

Lunner
30-11-2005, 12:54

Anything they can tell you ahve to declaire, ie if externally the engine looks the same you are pretty much ok, they arent' gonna rip the head off and measure the bore sizes or the profile of the cam unless you have done something really serious like kill soeone, and then insurance is the least of your worries, lol

BenR
01-12-2005, 00:36

Ben, any suggestions on what will make a willy cam
work out it's best on my F7p :?:

willy cam is only a tiny bit wilder than the 1.8 cam, so i wouldnt bother with it personally.

Rich
01-12-2005, 12:09
tbh lunner if thats not been run and its in that state of clenliness i wouldnt waste my money

Jason
01-12-2005, 13:02
willy cam is only a tiny bit wilder than the 1.8 cam, so i wouldnt bother with it personally.

Duration 262' insted of 256' and
Lift 9.90 instad of 9.30 if I am correct.
Would you advise a reprofile on them or not :?:

Also Piper's R16VBP285H is very close to having Wily Inlet and valver exhaust cams.
Would that work properly :?:
Cheers :D

u33db
01-12-2005, 14:25
Worth it for the cam alone IMO.

I paid 250 quid for just a catcam (albeit brand new) from QEP a few weeks ago so thats still good value for money if you have to junk the head.