PDA

View Full Version : K-Tec turbo conversions!!!!

Dancliovalver
29-11-2005, 23:26
decided to go the turbo route instead of throttle bodies, so am going to ring Ktec tomorrow to talk to them about their turbo conversion for the valver!!!

just wanted to know has anybody heard good/bad things about their conversion, exactly how much it costs, reliability and all round performance????

any advice would be great thanks

Martin
29-11-2005, 23:31
erm....the low boost is wank fella a decent hybrid is just as fast if not faster. The high boost is rapid but ££££££!

Dancliovalver
29-11-2005, 23:34
hhhhhmmmm so my money would be better spent on a hybrid with TB????

do u know exactly how much the high boost one is??

Martin
29-11-2005, 23:38
I think it getting up towards 6-7k for high boost which will get you low 13s up the strip.

jay s
29-11-2005, 23:56
is tony 16v not selling his high boost conversion eng??

VIPERONE
29-11-2005, 23:59
lol.. i can get the high boost parts for £2 grand..so i dont have a clue why they charge so much its a kin joke.

well we'll see if my low boost will be wank..

stew
30-11-2005, 00:15
lol.. i can get the high boost parts for £2 grand..so i dont have a clue why they charge so much its a kin joke.

something called labour. usually charged at 30-40quid per hour!

VIPERONE
30-11-2005, 00:19
errrrm no.. check the parts supplied prices...they are stupid also. the parts are plug and play!, the low boost can be carried out without removing the engine lol.

Plattsy
30-11-2005, 00:24
You can get the parts from 2-5k depends whether you buy new or used parts and what you buy. Tony spent about 4-5k on his conversion and carried out all the work himself.
Hes selling it for around £4500 i think. defo worth it since ktecs low boost conversion is the same price!

VIPERONE
30-11-2005, 00:29
the £2300 is for the parts new.. only second hand parts are the injectors.

so thats £2300 for high boost parts only
£1600 low boost parts only

i wont charge myself labour..:-D

bhp for ££ its by far the greatest choice... as throttle bodies are expensive

cams and porting isnt very worthwhile,,, only so much from a remap.

Martin
30-11-2005, 00:39

well your is a cammed 2.0 so will have a good headstart on the 1.8s they usually use but I look forward to seeing it

VIPERONE
30-11-2005, 00:42
lol its somethign to do :-D..and a tssshhhhh sound.. well as long as its not slower im not bothered..lol

http://www.protoxide.it/preparazioni/Clio%20turbo/MOTOREWASTEGATE.jpg

Plattsy
30-11-2005, 10:53
external wastegate=sex wee lol
So what does that include then gunner for the high boost?
You need:
Manifold + Downpipe
Turbo
Intercooler/ChargeCooler
All Hosing/Pipework
Throttle Body Adapter Plate
Injectors
Low Comp Pistons (Head Gasket for low boost)
ECU/Remap
Headwork is probably a good idea as well...
Surely cant include all those parts for £2300....

tony16v
30-11-2005, 11:13
you could probably buy the main parts for about 2.5k....

tony16v
30-11-2005, 11:17
You can get the parts from 2-5k depends whether you buy new or used parts and what you buy. Tony spent about 4-5k on his conversion and carried out all the work himself.
Hes selling it for around £4500 i think. defo worth it since ktecs low boost conversion is the same price!

during my build I had head work, and the bottom end sorted..... which adds extra cash...

Plattsy
30-11-2005, 13:23
what about tools? if you dont have an engine stand or anything youd probably have to hire one...how much are they to hire/buy?
Might do myself a low boost conv for now... mix with cams and headwork im sure it will give a good bit of power....?
What turbo you thinking of running btw gunner?

summeh
30-11-2005, 14:38
ebay...

engine stand... 40quid

engine crane... 125quid

Plattsy
30-11-2005, 15:01
sweet! sounds cheap that! im assuming thats to buy not to hire?

Dancliovalver
30-11-2005, 17:30
hhhmmm all this building turbo conversions is making me think "can i do it"

whats involved in fitting the full kit??

Lunner
30-11-2005, 18:13
ebay...

engine stand... 40quid

Machine mart....£30

engine crane... 125quid

Machine mart....£150ish

Advantage from machine mart is they are relativly local, national retailer, so alot easier to take back shoudl it **** up, and you know they will be there in 12 monhts if it should **** up after 11 months

Plattsy
30-11-2005, 20:46
well a low boost conversion requires:
Headgasket change
fit one way valves to stop boost pressure getting into the brake servo etc
map sensor from a 21 Turbo
airbox removal
change the injectors
fitting of intercooler/chargecooler, could be tricky mounting it...
fitting throttle body adapter plate
while heads off fit the new turbo manifold and turbo
refit the head and downpipe
fit all boost hoses, turbo to IC - IC to throttle body
fit an airfilter or airbox off a pipe from the turbo
Remap or if you have a direct replacement ECU then swap straight over
Go for a run :D

jay s
30-11-2005, 21:39
easy as that? :shock:

Fred
30-11-2005, 21:45
most of it will be bolt on

you'll have to do i tiny bit of fabriction (to mount intercoolers/oil coolers etc etc)

but if you can drill a hole and use a spanner you're sorted

Dancliovalver
30-11-2005, 21:49
lol that SOUNDS pretty easy, but i can imagine its not!!

could anybody post me up some links of where i can get the components preferably brand new, but dont mind second hand!!

whats he best turbo to run?

im thinkink about having a cosworth front mounted intercooler but not too sure yet!!

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 01:48
Well the hardest bit will be mounting the intercooler depending how big you get one, you only need a smallish one.
Bumper off cut the front lower grill out (presuming thats where intercoolers going and fits there) check the cooler fits in the gap, get some mounts/brackets and fix them to the car itself leaving space for the bumper to bolt back in! place bumper over it to see what else needs trimming, trim accordingly and you will probably have to cut a bit for the inlet and out let on the cooler depending where they are. Fit the bumper back on and your away!

Most annoying bit will probably be the head! good time to change cambelt aswell! depending how long your having it off road for perhaps send it off to be cammed and have the head worked!

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 01:56
Well headgasket you can get from all over, bbpt do one for about £108
Map sensor from a renault 21 turbo about a tenner! will have to change the plugs tho so it fits
Injectors off a 21turbo im lead to believe are good enough or from a bosch supplier
the one way vavles from bbpt £35
The manifold and downpipe from bbpt is about £635 for both parts!
An oil feed pipe from bbpt is 70quid but u can get non braided lines for about a fiver a metre!
uprated fuel pump! not needed but worth while for bigger power, £92 delivered! see parts section on here
Turbo, bbpt use a T28 but a T25 will suffice for a low boost conversion, can pick a T28 up for £400 new from the states try here:
http://www.jgycustoms.com/serg20/turbos.htm
intercooler, get a relatively small one for about £150 from the site above
wastegate if you want you can get from there for about £150 aswell
then theres ECU which i think is about £340 or something from bbpt
Other places to look for parts would be ebay!

BBPT:
http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/selector.asp

This site sells head gaskets an other stuff
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reichhard-motorsport.com&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Get other things from here, injectors etc:
http://www.dp-engineering.nl/indexe.html

Mattie
01-12-2005, 09:40
what happens if u fit all this wrong though??? is it gona cause major damage? :?

VIPERONE
01-12-2005, 09:56
the only major damage that can occur is that you turn the boost up to full on the low boost job....

im sure tony 16v is only running a charge cooler and no intercooler on the front.. you also have to relocate batery to rear.. rallydesign sells battery box for £15 and tweaks supply the wiring for £6 per length...

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 11:12
you dont need an intercooler if you have a charge cooler, it does the same job you just dont need it mounted in your bumper.
As for battery being relocated that dont have to be done but tonys charge cooler sits where the battery used to be :P if your using an intercooler there is no need but you could do it and put a big cone filter there instead :D

Fred
01-12-2005, 11:57
intercooler would be muchos cheaper than a chargecooler (more of a bugger to fit, but that'll be outweighed by the saving IMO)

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 12:38
if your buying new then it wil be cheaper, think you could pick a second hand chargecooler up for about 4-500 though. but personely id rather have the intercooler, so whoever your overtaking can see it in there rear view mirror just before you fly past them hehe...
Whats people think to dump valves then? do they prefer the tssssh or the chatter of a wastegate? im a wastegate fan for sure :D

VIPERONE
01-12-2005, 13:42
tshhhhh is the way of saying hello im a turbo.. the wastegate is a bit more stealthier... hmm

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 13:44
hmm if you have a charge cooler then perhaps a wastegate is for u then....no one can see the cooler and wont expect it to be a turbo until it chatters past them and then they wont have a clue lol

VIPERONE
01-12-2005, 13:48
i'll be using standard heasdgasket also....its only got 1k on it anyhow...lol

i fit it and it looks a good quality one. thicker than normal.

just make sure fueling is correct and boost is fully down for mapping to avoid detonation lol.

JonnyK
01-12-2005, 14:44
so could i run a low boost conversion on my 170bhp cammed hybrid?

VIPERONE
01-12-2005, 14:55
im probably running that.. mines 2.0l cammed...
yes you could..

stew
01-12-2005, 15:16
i thought that wastegate chatter was a bad thing. It means the turbo is fluttering, in the long run damaging it. I was under the impression you wanted a nice clean release of boost pressure! :roll: :?

Plattsy
01-12-2005, 15:18
wastegate sounds nicer to me though...

Dancliovalver
01-12-2005, 16:16
i like neither, just love the flutter as it goes back though the turbo!!

Somebody should right up a guide on how to fit a turbo, would be really interesting to read, im sure the mods would "sticky" it!!

Mattie
01-12-2005, 16:46

Somebody should right up a guide on how to fit a turbo, would be really interesting to read, im sure the mods would "sticky" it!!

thats a quality idea dan!

Coops
01-12-2005, 18:52

get k-tec or bb to send me a free turbo kit and am on it, the engines in pieces anyway!!lol! :lol:

Dancliovalver
01-12-2005, 20:13
lol, ill just ask em to gimme the money to fit it too :wink: