PDA

View Full Version : 5 turbo engine into valver..

dan-hipgrave
29-11-2005, 19:49
Hey guys, im considering changing my valver engine for a 5 turbo engine, and just wondered whether it would be worth it, performance and reliablilty wise - currently got the standard 1.8 16v lump, but its on 145K miles, and is rattly and tired now, so want to get rid..

What else would be needed apart from engine, loom, gearbox? Petrol tank? Would it be worth saving some more money and getting a lower mileage 1.8 or saving even more and getting a willy lump??

Also, completely different note - how are willy spoilers held on, as ive bought one, but it looks completely different to the valver one, looks like i need screws poking out through the tailgate??

Cheers,

Dan

Craig
29-11-2005, 20:28
personally i dont think reliablilty is that good. my mate had one and he never dare thrash it that much, and when he sold it the lad who bought it did a few 0-60's and 0-100's on his g-tech and blew the HG within a day!!

F7 power is a lot more reliable IMO

tricky
29-11-2005, 20:58
I did that to my old valver. Not much involved to be honest. You'd need to mate the valver gearbox to the 5 turbo engine as the speedo is electric on the 5 box. Gtt engine is a little more reliable in a clio than in the 5 as it has a little more room for cooling. It always looks like a bit of a bodge once done thogh as the pipes and things are designed to the contours and size of the renault 5 engine bay and dont fit too well in a clio. You would also need a hole drilling in the passenger side of the subframe for the front gearbox mount.

Parts needed would include:

C1J engine, complete with manifolds, carb and turbo
boost, water and oil hoses.
5 GT Turbo engine/box mounts and their bolts
Clio 16v gearbox
clio 16v engine loom to butcher up
5 GT Turbo Fuel pressure regulator
5 GT Turbo Intercooler, or a suitable front mount kit
5 GT Turbo fuel pump relay and some guidance on wiring it in the clio's fusebox

I Reckon you would be best getting a rusty shed of a 5 GT Turbo. Take the engine out, do the head gasket and assess the condiotion of the other consumables. At least then you wouldn't be missing any parts.

dan-hipgrave
29-11-2005, 21:11
hmm doesnt sound too bad i spose...will look into options

cheers guys 8)

kj16v
30-11-2005, 01:35
Normally I'd say "Don't be a fool, man!" and shake you by the shoulders to bring you to your senses. But since you say your current engine is knackered, what the heck you've got nothing to lose - except low-end performance (they're wank off-boost) :P
Do it, it'll be a laugh

northy
30-11-2005, 09:10
do it and post the progress on here mate

Daz.
30-11-2005, 16:46
do it and post the progress on here mate

agreed!

whats the current records for power/performance of a 5 turbo powered clio?

I heard you can buy a brand new five engine very cheap these days... hmm... :D

Craig
30-11-2005, 22:08
know of one running about 13.7 1/4 mile

gtbloke
01-12-2005, 08:10
My option would be to turbocharge the existing f7p lump rather than fit a 1970's pickup truck pushrod 1.4

(fitted to the dacia duster i think)

deffo dates back that far i know that !!

kj16v
01-12-2005, 17:16
[quote="gtbloke"]My option would be to turbocharge the existing f7p lump rather than fit a 1970's pickup truck pushrod 1.4
quote]

:lol:

dan-hipgrave
01-12-2005, 17:59
yeh i have been looking into other options - reliability of the 5 engine puts me off...

Im on the lookout for a low mileage F7R ideally, turboing the 1.8 would be the ultimate, but funds dont stretch that far...

u33db
01-12-2005, 19:24
Just get another 1.8 16v or a 2ltr 8v for more torque then cam/headwork it.

GTT would be nice but ideally you'd rebuild it to remove the gremlins of dickhead owners. Upgrading to 2ltr 16v is expensive for what you get IMO.

BRUN
01-12-2005, 20:10
the GTT is reliable if you do things properly, its only because its so easy to **** with it that people do, it blows up, and gets a bad rep for being unreliable

mine was fine, though it was fully rebuilt and balanced

Daz.
01-12-2005, 22:58
the GTT is reliable if you do things properly, its only because its so easy to f**k with it that people do, it blows up, and gets a bad rep for being unreliable

What kind of figures where you running brun? I remember reading about it but have forgot!

I seem to remember it being pretty quick!

gtbloke
02-12-2005, 10:37
Turbo the f7p!!! u know u want to :wink:

BRUN
03-12-2005, 01:40
the GTT is reliable if you do things properly, its only because its so easy to f**k with it that people do, it blows up, and gets a bad rep for being unreliable

What kind of figures where you running brun? I remember reading about it but have forgot!

I seem to remember it being pretty quick!

never got a chance to dyno it :cry:

tricky
03-12-2005, 22:20
Take it you never got it back off the insurance then Martin.

(I'm Rich-H gtt off RTOC BTW) Bought your airfilter off you on ebay.

Martin
03-12-2005, 22:34
I would'nt fancy thrashing a gtt round a track....be scraed it would break! They can make some crazy power though

tricky
03-12-2005, 23:25
A lot of RTOC people have GT Turbo track cars that they rag around all day long without any problems, well except overheating brakes.

Silicone coolant hoses and a decent intercooler are pretty much all you need to run 160-170BHP reliably on std engine. Most problems on the 5 such as headgasket are casued by blocked/old cooling system, crusty old pipes or simply not having the carb enrichment set up properly for the boost being run.