PDA

View Full Version : 5 GTT vs Tuned valver

Dancliovalver
27-11-2005, 23:54
down the pub last night and my mate is adiment that he would anialate me in his 5 turbo!!!!

i think he has a T25 running 11PSI of boost and no other mods
i have the full hillpower cylinder head conversion (P,P,GF head, Cams, chip ect)

how do u think this race would fair??

and im talking acceleration as we know what the top speed outcome would be!!!!!

gtbloke
28-11-2005, 04:08
If its only running 11psi (standard 5 turbo psi) then i cant see you having any problems nailing him.

either way the valver looks / sounds better than a 5 tubby anyway, i know i have owned 2 of the unreliable pushrod heaps in the past :roll:

Chris n`nic
28-11-2005, 09:55
If its only running 11psi (standard 5 turbo psi) then i cant see you having any problems nailing him.

either way the valver looks / sounds better than a 5 tubby anyway, i know i have owned 2 of the unreliable pushrod heaps in the past :roll:

Upped boost by any chance? Mine was fine with 215000 miles and when I started to mod things then it popped...everyone dogs 5 turbos for reliability but it is obvious that shoving daft power thru that baby 1.4 will end in tears unless it is treated right and modded well (unlike mine with a bleed valve)...far too tempting! lol

Chris

Dancliovalver
28-11-2005, 15:47
yep its got the bleed valve on it, he has already had an engine fire and crack numerous piston liners!!!!!

so i shouldnt have a problem then!!!!

gtbloke
01-12-2005, 08:07
Upped boost by any chance?

No they were both running the standard psi when i had them, but i cant vouch for the previous owners :lol:

imho i found the electrics and build quality were absolutely abysmal, the clio is the superior car regardless of the fact it should have had a turbo from the factory :P

just my 2p :wink:

Chris n`nic
01-12-2005, 09:43
Weird....I`d look out for maul grip marks on the one of the pipes..my m8 bought one and you could clearly see where the previous owner had `upped` the boost a little lol I reckon nothing would have gone on mine if I had left it std. I`ve seen the guy who bought it off me and he has still had no problems with it at all...and it was probably running 160bhp all this time.

Chris

Gav
01-12-2005, 13:30
down the pub last night and my mate is adiment that he would anialate me in his 5 turbo!!!!

i think he has a T25 running 11PSI of boost and no other mods
i have the full hillpower cylinder head conversion (P,P,GF head, Cams, chip ect)

how do u think this race would fair??

and im talking acceleration as we know what the top speed outcome would be!!!!!

ok another story for ya, was goin round town in the missus car (she was drivin), and this 172 came right up her arse so she turned into a side road and he followed so she did aload more manovers and he followed!!

anyways when we pulled up at the bank and wound his window down next to my windo and came out with

"WHEN DID U RACE MY CAR"
and i didnt have a clue what he was on about, and supposedly some of the lads that know my car round melton know that its pretty powerful and have told him to gimme a race but he took the wrong end of the stick ( we never got on in school, i beat him up a few times for slaggin mates off )

so next time i see him and im out in my car im gonna give it a go, who do u rekon will come out top, his is standard!!!!!

do you ever actually race any of them dude? :D

Dancliovalver
01-12-2005, 16:19
well i havnt had chance yet, when ever i wanna race the 5 i always get "well its not runnin right and its smokin" :roll:

and the other guy will get whats comin to him soon enuf lol

just gotta find the right time to av him, preferably on the duel carrage way!!

Gav
01-12-2005, 22:12
:D sweet! cant wait to see ur motor at the meet fella

kj16v
01-12-2005, 23:36
I think a standard valver keep might keep up with a standard R5 over a distance like 1/4 mile. But it would get anihilated at the traffic light GP. Only Thing is, there aren't many standard R5 about.

gtbloke
02-12-2005, 10:30
imho standard r5 gtt is compareable to a valver, 5 tubbys are v easy to tune (and blow up) but for them few tenths of a second upto 60 i would rather have the valvers superior top end speed...hell my old axgt would keep up with 5 tubbys flat out on the motorway... purely coz the 5 doesnt have top end speed....120 is more or less ur lot

:) 5 turbos are old hat now

Chris n`nic
02-12-2005, 12:32
People say that but mine would pull 140 without much trouble....my m8 had a 206 Gti and was off the clock (135 iirc) and I was backking off big time.....of course it blew a month or so later so maybe it was pushing more power than I thought

Chris

Andyvalver
02-12-2005, 13:20
Had a blast aganst a 5 turbo a while back. He pulled about a car 1/2 a car length to 60 and then when i was in 3rd gear i pulled it back level. 4th gear i started to pull on him :P

Dancliovalver
04-12-2005, 00:29
yeah their definatly only really good for acceleration, spoke to my mate again tonite and he darnt take it to top speed in fear it may blow up, but i know alot of em can get it off the clock like Chris's

tricky
10-12-2005, 03:56
Dont forget that these R5s are into the low 11s Quarters now. What did the fastest turbo valver manage??

All about the power to weight ratio

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/thread.asp?TopicID=40498

http://www.rtoc.org/news/archive.asp?id=137

Dancliovalver
10-12-2005, 09:06
thats very true but their not standard lol

theres no doubt these cars are fast but they seem to run out of steam very quick when standard!!

tricky
11-12-2005, 22:42
Yeah, they're shite standard mate no argument there. And they fall to bits without monthly maintainence too

gtbloke
13-12-2005, 08:26
r5 easy to tune / valver isnt

but a stock 16v would outrun a stock 5 turbo.. and i stand by that statement.

Dancliovalver
17-12-2005, 17:30
thats very true matey, it seems to be really easy to extract power from the 5 and u have to throw alot of money at a valver to make it 'fast'!!

lol got his car back on the road and we had organised a little race tonite but on way to work yesterday morning he somehow managed to melt a piston lol..................WELL RELIABLE

Clio_GTT
07-01-2006, 16:33
you guys seem to know of the dodgyest 5's going, me and my mate have put a GTT lump in his 16v and hes sensibly tuned it and hes running 18 psi on a T25/28 turbo and it knocks the socks off any 2.0 about. It never misses a beat and has been as reliable as the 16v, treat them right and they don't break.

Clio_GTT
07-01-2006, 16:35
http://www.rtoc.org/members/member.asp?memberid=11915

have a look

Zollo
07-01-2006, 18:56
What quarter mile times is it running?

Clio_GTT
07-01-2006, 20:11
What quarter mile times is it running?

hasn't run on the 1/4 mile, but on 16's on a dry road it struggles for traction in 3rd gear. its mental, but will always be restriced due to its age old design.

Andyvalver
07-01-2006, 20:18
What sort of bhp is it putting out chap? Looks pretty good :P

Clio_GTT
07-01-2006, 20:26
What sort of bhp is it putting out chap? Looks pretty good :P

god knows, you can't really trust those pesky rolling roads anyway, in the region of 180-200+ BHP

but the C1J gtt lump weighs nothing in comparison to the F7P and ash's car is stripped to the hilt, theres nothing non essential left in the car. I'd say its close to the weight of a slightly stripped R5.

Andyvalver
07-01-2006, 20:34
8) It would be interesting to see how it compares to some of the 2.0 hybrids on here. There is a mk1's vs mk2's day at santapod on the 29th of jan. Think you should come to be on our side :P

Clio_GTT
07-01-2006, 20:37
8) It would be interesting to see how it compares to some of the 2.0 hybrids on here. There is a mk1's vs mk2's day at santapod on the 29th of jan. Think you should come to be on our side :P

Mk2's LMAO, it walks all over those 172 boys. think it'd have trouble with craig adams car tho.

Martin
07-01-2006, 23:18
Well get him to come down and spank some mk2's!! :)