PDA

View Full Version : FAO Oulton Parkers

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 14:22
What engine was in that mk1 Scirocco?

FlamingMonkey
11-03-2005, 14:25
1.8 Turbo from a Golf GTI 260bhp very very quick, and also very tidy looking.

Chris told me he got the Retro Mag Matt was talking about apparently there is 6 pages on it this month.

Talented guy, he put the TT engine with Matt in the Ginger 1.2

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 14:29
Sure it's not an Audi S3 lump? There's one on the cover of this months Retro Cars.

God this mag is good!

FlamingMonkey
11-03-2005, 14:30
Actually now you mention it it is an S3 :oops: , but are they not the same anyway just in a different state of tune?

Yeah thats the one on Retro Cars Mag this month

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 14:31
Mentions at the end of the article about the Clio TT!

FlamingMonkey
11-03-2005, 14:33
hehe cool

Pics nicked from Matt

Is it a big feature Mike? Im sure chris told me 6 pages?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/j3ned/mk1rocco001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/j3ned/mk1rocco002.jpg

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 14:37
5 or 6 yeah. It's FG issue this month. 3L Porsche 914-6, racing beetle etc.

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 14:38
:roll:

FlamingMonkey
11-03-2005, 14:39
Racing beetle nice one, I'll have to pop past the garage on my way home :lol:

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 14:39

FlamingMonkey
11-03-2005, 14:40

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 14:44
If you were going to put a fast engine in a car i would choose:

A decent car

A decent engine

An S3 engine in a Scirocco :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What a waste of good time

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 14:44
A TT engine in a Clio?????

WHY?

FlamingMonkey
11-03-2005, 14:45
Cause he can, Renault put a decent engine in a shopping trolley e.g a Clio

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 14:48
What's wrong with the mk1 scirocco? I think they proper FG.

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 14:57
If i was going to do this kind of thing (god forbid) then i would pick an engine that produced great power to its weight and was very reliable

SR20DET out of a 200 sx

And put it in a car with 'coolness' about it without perhaps an overly sporty image, but one that could be made to handle and drive out of this world, wasnt too heavy and was rare.

Maybe a Renault Sport Spyder

:wink:

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 14:59
Scirocco mk1s are as rare as rocking horse shit though. Has retro cool.

Spyder just looks ilke a shoe.

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 15:00
Now that would piss over a TT powerd Clio. It would be a proper race car, and on track would destroy pretty much anything.

350 BHP out of that engine is within reach, in a 950 kg shell, with arguable some of the best handling in the 15k range, rear engined, rear wheel drived. The car would be able to use more of its power than a Scirocco or Clio and it wouldnt just be a straight line wonder.

Supercharged V6 beater anyone?

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 15:02
Now that would piss over a TT powerd Clio. It would be a proper race car, and on track would destroy pretty much anything.

350 BHP out of that engine is within reach, in a 950 kg shell, with arguable some of the best handling in the 15k range, rear engined, rear wheel drived. The car would be able to use more of its power than a Scirocco or Clio and it wouldnt just be a straight line wonder.

Supercharged V6 beater anyone?

I wouldn't bother taking it out of the 200SX! One my list of future potentials is an S15 Silvia R. 8)

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 15:07
Ever sinse i drove the V6 at the Evo shoot i have realise 255 BHP is all well and good on a dual carriageway, but it is unusable on a twisty road. Me and Riplash both drove the car, and yes it sounded amazing and yes it was great, but the chassis just couldnt cope with the power AND the corners.

Basically the equation that reads:

Power + handling = fast car, now read

Power + handling = nightmare

The Williams was just as fast with 150 BHP. On a track it may be a different matter, but i JUST DONT GET IT. Why would you want more than 200 BHP in a small car?

Winston
11-03-2005, 15:07
VAG 1.8T.....ROCKS end of and the Scirocco mk1 is pimp as ****.

Dubsport are making a twin engined Mk4 Golf with 1000BHP using 2 x 500bhp 1.8T's

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 15:08
Id just spend the money on a Delta Integrale. At least i would have some street cred then :roll:

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 15:09
Ever sinse i drove the V6 at the Evo shoot i have realise 255 BHP is all well and good on a dual carriageway, but it is unusable on a twisty road. Me and Riplash both drove the car, and yes it sounded amazing and yes it was great, but the chassis just couldnt cope with the power AND the corners.

Basically the equation that reads:

Power + handling = fast car, now read

Power + handling = nightmare

The Williams was just as fast with 150 BHP. On a track it may be a different matter, but i JUST DONT GET IT. Why would you want more than 200 BHP in a small car?

I think that's a tealent issue mate. No offence, but loads have slagged the V6 255 as a drivers car, apart from evo.

Evo have always maintained it could punch way above it's weight.

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 17:23
I have diven one quite extensively. Have you?

Try it and you will see what i mean. Got to be one of the most overrated cars ive ever heard of.

Lets forget the Max Power looks, the increadibly uncomfotable heat wave coming from the engine to the back of the seats, the stupidly 'normal' clio interior, the expensive parts, the crappy steering lock, the fact that everytime you brake the car wants to swap ends, the nervous twitch you get on slow corners, the nervous twitch you get on fast corners, the nervous twitch you get on medium speed corners, did i mention the heat from the engine?, the 25k price tag for a Clio, the impracticality, the depreciation, the Renault reliability (read unreliability) and the stupid tyre weld system (that doesnt work).

Leaving all that aside, can no body see apart from me that this car is a gimmick, invented by Renault to appeal to people with nothing better to spend their money on (Estate agents, IT professionals and Journalists). And how many people have fallen for it. Yes it may be a unique car and it may sound great, but if Renault released 300 pieces of white dog shit with a soundtrack of a Ferrari V12 would you want one?

Quote from Jenson Button when asked by by Louise Goodman how his free V6 from Renault compared to his then F1 Renault car (the season when the Renault car was unbeleivably useless):

'Its just as bad'

Says it all really.

Faced with 25k in the bank, and the choice to buy a rear engined 'super' car i would be heading for the nearest Honda dealers to get myself a second hand NSX.

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2005, 17:47
Doesn't explain why evo love it so much though. Finishing 4th in the ECOTY.

I'd have an NSX anyday as well BTW.

KingStromba
11-03-2005, 17:56
How many EVO writers does it take to change a light bulb?

Depends how much money you offer them.

2 live
12-03-2005, 12:40
lol...........stromba mate..not evryone is happy to be running round in a car that looks and goes the same as the next one...which is why people modify......some people take this a step further and fit bigger engines to their cars, engines that werent designed for that make of car let alone model.......

it takes me back to my childhood.....v8 powered capris, 2.0 ford capri engined talbot sunbeams, and allegro powered minis etc etc etc......all above cars either built by me or me dad............granted i was 18 wen we built the talbot......was much more rapid than the 1300 engine it came with, and also panned quite a lot of the lotus sunbeams that were knockin about in halifax at the time....but it looked a shed...and boy did it make me hapy lol....

the mini with 1750 allegro equipe engine in was another beast.......again.its all down to people wanting to make their car faster..the handling on all of em could outweighthe original fitted engine, so the little extra weight and the shit loads more power did nothing to the already quite good handling....so they did handle too..

now ...the wini may be the odd exception on the handling scale with the weight of the f7 lump.......but 150+ bhp in a car that weighs 600kgs.......now thats also gunna be rapid is it not?.......its also gunna be something no1 has done before....well to my knowledge anyway....

the other aspect of it is to see if u can actually do it...........which is 3/4s the main reason for me

KingStromba
12-03-2005, 13:12
But my point is:

Modifying a gash car still leaves you with a gash car

If your going to modify, pick a decent car.

The mini is a cool car, so id say it was worth it. A scirocco is gash. So its a waste of good time and money.

A clio Mk1 is a good car. Worth modifying. A mark 2 is a gash car. Waste of time.

If that guy had of put a TT lump in a Mk1, he would have got my praise. But he put it in a girls car. So he may be able to quarter in 13 seconds. But he still drives a girls car.