PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting - Fires up but no juice

Old_Skool
25-11-2005, 18:18
I've got an intermittent problem I'm hoping someone can shed some light on...

Sometimes the car won't start. It fires, but no juice. My first thoughts are that it's the fuel pump or distributor. But the pump makes the usual whining noise when you turn on the ignition, and the plugs are all sparking as I've had each one out whilst firing. Maybe there's some kind of fuel blockage.

Anyway, the problem has been coming and going. It leaves me stranded and unable to start now and then. Then out of the blue, sometimes within the hour, sometimes only weeks later, it starts up and it's ok for another few months, until it happens again. Unfortunately the last time it happened the battery went dead before I could get it plugged into a computer to read the fault code. And now it's ok again so I can't even start playing around with different parts to find out what the problem is.

It's a Williams 2 that I've owned for many years, only has 40k on the clock, a lovely mint car that I want to keep, but this problem is very annoying!

Any ideas? Has anyone had similar problems with the car firing but not starting? It's completely standard and has been well maintained, so I'm baffled.

Cheers,
OS

Craig
25-11-2005, 18:23
it does sound like a fuel pump problem, my connections were a bit dodgy and mine did the same a few weeks back. iv cleaned them since and the pumps whine sounds a lot healthier, and starts no probs

Swervin_Mervin
25-11-2005, 18:23
Have you checked allt eh usual suspects like dizzy, fuel filter? Also are your injector plugs all connected and working properly?

Andyvalver
25-11-2005, 18:26
Check all your earths too mate now its winter. I had a problem same as yours, sometimes it started an ran fine then some days it wouldnt start at all :? Then the next day it started but was lumpy. I renuwed all my earths and it was fine.

VIPERONE
25-11-2005, 18:57
as above..sand your earths off.. then service your electrics ie leads plugs ignition block..so on so forth

Lunner
25-11-2005, 19:33
Check that the fuel pump is pumping the right amount of fuel, and check the lines/fuel filter....presume you have petrol in it, sorry had to ask