PDA

View Full Version : HELP fitting -35mm springs on a willy

Mattie
24-11-2005, 22:48
can any 1 do me a guide so i can fit these....im a novice wen it cums 2 this kind of thing and i have NO haynes manual, yes i repeat NO haynes manual :lol:

pictures would be a great help! :D

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/iLL_MoVeS/album%202/DSC00083.jpg

Rich
24-11-2005, 22:51
wow they look familiar :wink:

Mattie
24-11-2005, 22:55
haha ....thanks 4 the springs rich! :P

i only picked them up 2day, 1st time iv seen my m8 since he was bk from uni!

Coops
24-11-2005, 23:48
i did this on me old 1.4rt matey, can try writin u a guide next week mate if u still need!! same principle across range!!

u'll need spring compressors tho fella at least!!

Coops

Rich
25-11-2005, 00:31
nah you dont! if i get time i'll do you one mate but got so much uni work on dunno if i'll get time!

Mattie
25-11-2005, 11:55
ok guys thanks :D

id like 2 fit em asap allthough i still got other jobs 2 do on my car so i aint in no big rush, proberly be a few more weeks at least b4 i get time 2 fit em!

if u cd both do me 1 though that wud be quality! :P :D

Lunner
25-11-2005, 13:55
I've got spring compressors and a 21mm swan neck spanner if you need them, or if you pop down to mine i'll give you a hand doing them

Anders
25-11-2005, 14:11
Piece of pi$$ mate.

Firstly, just lossen the top mounts, with ring spanner whilst holding centre still with alan key.

Jack up car and remove both wheels. Don't worry about brakes or calipers.

Use 18mm socket and undo the two bolts on the lower strut/upper hub (note which way the bolts are facing) take these out and be careful of the strut catching your CV boot.

Now the strut is loose at the bottom, undo your previously loosened top mounts and then take out strut.

Now you can transfer these to a bench and swap the springs using your compressors. Both sides are EXACTLY the same, so don't fret about getting the springs wrong way round.

Now you have swapped the springs, whack the struts back in taking care of the CV boot and put bolts back in same direction as originally.

Tighten everything back up, wheels on, double check top mount now pressure is on it. Wheels on and that's it your done.

Lunner
25-11-2005, 14:14
Very common for the top mounts to be seized on, esp if they ahve never been off, most of the cars i've worked on have required an impact gun to loosen them

Mattie
25-11-2005, 14:45
sound easy enough job if u kno wot your doin! ...but i dont :oops: :lol:

may take u up on the offer lunner!....dont suppose youv got a torsion bar tool as well....they need lowerin 2 :wink: :P

Mish_16V
25-11-2005, 16:12
Very common for the top mounts to be seized on, esp if they ahve never been off, most of the cars i've worked on have required an impact gun to loosen them

bastard top mount, i ended up having to drive down to a garage just down the road, set the impact gun on it and then just do it back up with a socket for the steady drive home! Grr proper nuisance as rest of the swap was easy as anything!

stew
25-11-2005, 16:58
you dont need spring compressors when removing old springs. :shock: did this on mine when fitting coilovers. jus undo the nut slowly, and there is enough thread to take the pressure off before the nut pops off! not sure about ftting lowering springs tho, but im sure if the spring is 35mm shorter then it should fit back on easy enough. best to buy a spring compressor tho. only cost about 10quid. :wink:

Lunner
25-11-2005, 17:28
Yeah i ahve my 'torsion bar tool', M10 threaded bar, nut, washer and 32mm socket, 20 is my current time to raise/lower the arse end of a clio, provided its not seized, spray lots of plus gas in there at regular intervals a few days before let it fully loosen....haven't snapped a bit of threaded bar yet..... :D

Geezer
29-11-2005, 20:54
Alrite harris! long time no speak...

You can bring it down my garage now (yes finally got one!) and I'll sort them for ya.

Let me know what you want doing...

Craig

Mattie
30-11-2005, 14:04
u finaly got it!?...wheres ur unit????

u actually gona av time 2 do it now?....still need my TB gasket changin from about a month ago! :wink: lol

willy55
01-12-2005, 23:09
running standard whhels whats the best drop to go for??? is it worth getting sports dampers to????

also lunner any chance of doing mine if it needs it mate????

u33db
02-12-2005, 10:53
No more than 35mm.

Don't bother with sport dampers, the std 2ltr items are more than up to it.