PDA

View Full Version : Any One Had A R5 TURBO???

skipp123
23-11-2005, 10:39
if so can you tell me what there like ie handling, performance, rust, reliability and what mods are best for a std car.... just looking into it now for a little bit of turbo fun.

cheers guys
ian

fasterthanjesus
23-11-2005, 11:52
i had one in 1996-98. it was by far the quickest beast i have ever driven. 1st and 2nd gear were something else.

it had its faults, it didnt feel "sturdy", it suffered from overheating in queues, and the standard wheels were a bit naff imho.

mine was clean, had no mods on it. body work wise, it was solid and had no rust. i imagine that a r5turbo nowadays will be expensive to keep on the road, but all good fun!

Dancliovalver
23-11-2005, 12:15
on of the most unreliable cars ever lol but fast as fook and very very easy to extract power!!!

OliS
23-11-2005, 13:40
I had one for a couple of years and it was a great car, sold it as it was costing so much money to keep in top condition, seemed like each month a new problem would come about! Also did not fancy my chances if I came off the road, saw too many pictures of 5 Turbos where you knew the occupants would not have been ok.

Loved it to bits though, did a few mods and got 142bhp and 142 ft/lbs with very little work and it was pretty damn quick, sounded great too!

A car that has been garaged regularily and well cared for should not have any rust on it at all, cars that are neglected can rust very badly, around the windscreen and the scuttle in particular are prone to rust.

Handling was also pretty good, I fitted adjustable Koni's and it was a huge laugh through tighter corners, on fast sweepers though it could be a bit of a challenge and a bit scary!

skipp123
23-11-2005, 13:58
iv found a white one compleetly standard with 2 owners and 58000miles never tuned ect sounded nice little car for £2600 and was just going to do the fmic oil cooler ally rad side exit exhaust filter and up the boost a bit for the time being do u think with those mods it would run ok

OliS
23-11-2005, 14:41
Yeah, I saw this car on the Autotrader website, looks like a good'un.

Exhaust, replacement air filter are worthwhile mods as the outlay is not too much. FMIC is only worth it if you are planning to run really high boost levels (20+psi) std IC is good up to about 16psi.

My GT used to run hot, but never overheated, so I can't advise on the alloy rad as I never had one!

Coops
23-11-2005, 21:56
and there was me hopin this would be a post about williams n valvers trashin the t*ts off old r5 turbos!!! speakin of which, does anyone have any stories, which is fast, better handlin, head to head etc!!!

Coops

James Clio 16v
23-11-2005, 22:06
I had one, absolutely loved it even though it cost me a fortune.

Would have one again if I could.

wilyolddave
24-11-2005, 00:21
Been in a couple, one supoosedly v.powerfull but to be honest was pretty dissapointed with it .It had a shed loads spent on it with digital boost control, intercoolers much boost etc but it didnt feel anything special??!Maybe it wasnt as good as it was supposed to be ?? :?
Look the tits though!!My missus loves em!! :D

Chris n`nic
24-11-2005, 10:31
I had a minter with 223,000 miles on it and the only reason it blew the headgasket was my own dumb ass fault. I slowly wound the boost up more and more as I got used to the power and it popped at 120mph. Got it fixed for a couple of hundred quid (plus got it ported and polished) and it was quicker than ever when I got it back. Great car and if I had the spare money and a garage I would have another no probs.

Chris

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/chriscup1/101-0130_IMG.jpg

Zollo
24-11-2005, 10:48
I had one too. Only lasted abour fours hours before I'd managed to blow it up mind :oops: . Damn those adjustable boost knob :x

Very similar driving feel to the Williams (funnily enough). All about the low-rev, boost hungry motor and no-nonense, heavy, and mechanical controls. And Man's shopping trolley, no doubt :P

byers
24-11-2005, 12:09
ive had 5 gt turbos very impressive i might be buyin my old one back, i got rid of mine to get a williams, and to be onast i miss it and wish i never got rid of it they get a lot of pple looking as you drive by imo the best performance and thrill factor.. the white 1 was unreal!! :roll:

http://www.rtoc.org/members/member.asp?memberid=11686