PDA

View Full Version : Norton Internet Security

Jimbob
21-11-2005, 23:29
Anyone else use this? I used to use Mafee anti virus stuff until I got my new PC which was preloaded wit the 2005 Norton security suite. Whilst surfing the net today Norton advised me it had detected some kind of trojan virus (one of those diallers I think) and on actions it said "unable to access file". I clicked ok, did a full virus / spyware scan with brand new updates and it came up completely clean in all areas - no viruses, spyware et al. Does this mean the auto protect stopped my system from being infected straight away (being unfamiliar with Norton!).

Andyvalver
23-11-2005, 14:21
Ive got norton mate. Yeah it means it stopped it and it normally tells you if it hasnt. You have to do a scan and then try and get rid of it or put it in quarantine.

Jimbob
23-11-2005, 16:52
Yeah scanned it and its clean... On the same note (really boring techie question) how do you look up and modify port settings?

Andyvalver
23-11-2005, 18:17
Im not sure mate but tbh i dont think its something you should mess with.

BRUN
23-11-2005, 21:11
get rid of it, you think Norton is good until you put something else on and it finds loads of virus/trojans etc on your comp

Norton really isnt up to scratch anymore and it slows your computer down a little

im currently using F-Secure which found loads of things Norton didnt, about 100 things to be precise !

Gav
23-11-2005, 23:55
i have norton and its shite, nothing but problems with the comp since i have had it

Jimbob
24-11-2005, 00:14
From what I've been told by certain, so called, experts, Norton is essentially good, as long as you have the full security suite (rather than a fragmented firewall, or just virus protection), and you keep the subscription up to date. I've heard negative stories about Norton only for people to say they havnt updated it for months, even years after the free subscription runs out. I guess its only effective if updated monthly, but then what package isnt?

Zollo
24-11-2005, 00:50
IMO Norton is shit, and I have a new subscription.

Not using it any more though.

Jimbob
24-11-2005, 01:09
McAfee any better? Got 2006 edition of that (full suite) but not installed it as Norton was pre-installed on mine. Is it worth replacing with this??

Zollo
24-11-2005, 01:23
I've just downloaded McAfee, so I don't really know yet!

I had a couple of problems with Norton where it wouldn't enable auto-protect, the second time it stopped working completely. So I followed all of their online guides, nothing worked. So it instructed me to un-install and re-install the software. Three hours after following all their crap, I couldn't re-install, so gave up and ordered McAfee (which was half the price of Norton). This all happened yesterday, so I'm still pissed at them :P

Also, Norton's telephone help line, apparently, on average works out to be £19 to fix a problem.

And finally, it never once found a virus, whereas my other software did. :roll:

Jimbob
24-11-2005, 01:29
Its a shame you cant run loads of the buggers at once to catch everything!!

Zollo
24-11-2005, 01:45
You can run some anti-spyware stuff with it too.

NickFr
24-11-2005, 10:48
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5519&highlight=software+virus

You can buy the upgrade which is AVG 7 + firewall, I would use the free one first, combine this with Spybot and Adware by Lavasoft, which are all FREE and you have some of the best PC protection for free!

I have heard poor things about both Norton and McAfee!

I also mainly use Firefox as my main browser on advice as it also provides better protection :wink:

BRUN
25-11-2005, 19:55
From what I've been told by certain, so called, experts, Norton is essentially good, as long as you have the full security suite (rather than a fragmented firewall, or just virus protection), and you keep the subscription up to date. I've heard negative stories about Norton only for people to say they havnt updated it for months, even years after the free subscription runs out. I guess its only effective if updated monthly, but then what package isnt?

my updates were done daily and my subscription was valid, Norton is crap !