PDA

View Full Version : I have wasted an afternoon trying to REPLACE MY DAMN BATTERY

Jimbob
21-11-2005, 18:58
I had taken today off (amongst others) to redecorate my lounge and dining room as I am having a new floor laid on Wednesday. I have just wasted an afternoon of much needed DIY work trying to get a new battery put in my car. We all know the cold weather kills batteries, that together with the fact the my battery should have been replaced in 1999 (according to the sticker on it, must still be original!!!), it completely ran out if juice this afternoon. Luckily Halfords is right around the corner, so off I trotted and purchased a new one (at £47 - ouch!) and walked it all the way back. On trying to undo the battery from the mount, I realised I left my extended arm bolt removing tool at my dads house in Shaftsbury. So off I went, back to Halfords to get a new tool. They didnt have one, so I dejectidly walked home. After a while I managed to fashon a workable 7mm tool, and attempted to undo the locking mechanism. Several cuts and blisters later, on my most useful hand :wink: I got the damn thing undone and out of the engine bay. Put new battery in, secured it and went to put the leads on. No game. Different connections. Now, having only ever owned French cars due to an odd twist of fate, I didnt know it was just French cars that hda odd connections. Took it back to Halfords who explained that it was my car that was odd, not the battery and told me to swap over the terminals from my old battery. So, back it walked, with the battery. When I got back I had wasted so much time it was dark. No light in my garage, so I got the floodlight out the boot. Switched it on and bulb blew. So I now have to wait until tomorrow to finally sort the damn thing. Do you ever think that things are permanantly against you?? The dining room didnt get painted. If you have read this far down, thats for taking the time to read my rant, I feel better now...

Rich
21-11-2005, 19:01
lol all i can say is at least my day was better than yours! :lol:

Plattsy
21-11-2005, 19:05
i used pliars on my battery mount thing lol. As for the terminals just take positive off and whack that on and just get a copper clamp and swap that with your old one for the negative. 10min job mebe 15mins lol

fab
21-11-2005, 19:17
i have been waiting for a exhaust repair kit from an ebay seller and today it arrived.the packaging/instructions are in French and the contents say"made in england :?

BRUN
21-11-2005, 20:08
lol

ive had loads of people argue with me at work about batterys for Renaults and other french cars

i wish they would stop using those terminals because they are SHIT

Jimbob
21-11-2005, 20:17
Annoying in the extreme! I'm told I can gently prise off the ones on my old battery. Couldnt be bothered to do it when I got back on the dark... Damn bulb on my desk lamp has gone now, think i'm cursed!!

Plattsy, wheres the best place for a copper clamp 9just in case). Pretty sure they dont have em in Halfords?

BRUN
21-11-2005, 20:37
personally, change the clamp mate, when you try and take it off your old one it will probably break......

soak it in some plusgas over night and you might have a better chance of it coming off in one piece, or WD40 if you havent any P/G

Coops
21-11-2005, 21:28
yeah mate, just have the whole lot off and get rid!!! mines got standard bolt clamps on it now!!much easier than them stupid renault screw top things!!! one day am going to the renault offices armed with a gauntlet to give the designers a good slappin!!

Coops

FATBOY
21-11-2005, 22:14
cant see the fuss with the screw top clamps myself??? i swapped over to my new battery as easy as!

Coops
22-11-2005, 00:20
u've been lucky!!! everytime i changed the battery on my old rt (took me ages to twig it was a knackered alternator!!!i was young and foolish back then!) it pissed me off n got so wound up ended up cuttin em off n replacin em, thankfully my valvers was already done!

BRUN
22-11-2005, 00:26
they are piss poor.......

Plattsy
22-11-2005, 04:15
i think u shud be able to get em from halfords tbh not sure tho found mine in the shed lol. if not probably some electrical place or from renault. the new battery terminals are these clamps

just remembered i have a new one from renault in shed!

Jimbob
22-11-2005, 10:55
Cheers, I'll have a look today, wish me luck!! Need my car working cos its my only one! Good job I'd already taken time off work I spose.

Swervin_Mervin
22-11-2005, 11:53
It's easy, did mine last night. Pull of -ve with some mole grips, and then slide a narrow screwdriver under the flat bit of the +ve and twat with a hammer.

Having said that, I might well change them at some point.

Jimbob
22-11-2005, 13:44
Thanks for the help guys (and gals?). Just did mine, and after all that, terminals slip off in my hand (fnar fnar) no problem! Almost electrocuted myself in doing so though... She lives again!!!!!! Only prob I've had in over two years, and it wasnt really the cars fault. Not bad for a Renault?

Lunner
22-11-2005, 18:26
I just got anohter battery from ATS, said it was for a clio and he gave me a battery, fitted in seconds, i just used a 7mm socket on it :roll:

Jimbob
22-11-2005, 19:12
Yeah 7mm is what you need. Luckily I found the right socket in my electric screwdriver set thingy, screwdriver didnt have the power to undo though, leaving me with blistered hands (i was determined to get the sod off!!). Engine seems to rev a lot more freely, maybe cos I freed up the load on the alternator?

smokey
23-11-2005, 13:50
I had to order the terminal adaptors from Renault after buying a new battery.
They called me this morning to tell me they are in stock now ready for collection.
£12 for both + & - terminals.

Jimbob
24-11-2005, 00:45
lol, looks like Renault are now making money by inventing unnessary car parts!! :lol: