PDA

View Full Version : Changing Alternator

Plattsy
21-11-2005, 11:10
How do you get old one off and new one on then? if you have to take engine out im guna set fire to the bloody thing! lol :lol:

clowo16v
21-11-2005, 12:59
I found the easiest way is to jack the car up and take the drivers side wheel off.

You then need to take the plastic arch liners out.

Take the drivers headlight out

Unbolt the crossbrace that the rad is bolted to. Its the 6 bolts near the headlight mountings. Push the radiator to the passenger side.

Unbolt the top mounting from the alternator. and loosen the bottom bolt of the alternator. Push the alternator inwards and remove the belt.

Fully remove the bottom bolt and the alternator is free

Fiddle for about 10 minutes to get it out of the engine bay. Cant remember how I usually get it out its just trial and error lol.

See ya

Matt

Swervin_Mervin
21-11-2005, 13:05
I just took the bonnet and o/s headlight out.

Plattsy
21-11-2005, 13:58
jus had a scout through haynes. shud be easy enough aslong as i manage to get room to play with. wouldnt it be easier to just take the radiator out? tne youve got plenty of room there to take it out.

Swervin_Mervin
21-11-2005, 14:11
It's not the room there that I found the problem, it's the room down by the pulley that's a ****er.

Plattsy
21-11-2005, 14:34
oh right then.looks a right twat with bonnet open lol.
Could i knackered alternator/belt have something to do with power steering? belt squeaks all the time when cold and power steering does aswell but when belt stops power steering doesnt sqeak.

Swervin_Mervin
21-11-2005, 14:37
Garage just had a problem with my PAS after fitting it. Turns out the belt wasn't quite at the right tension, so it could be that yes.

Rich
21-11-2005, 14:38
cos the p/s pump pulley runs off the same belt so it wont squeak if its not running!

clowo16v
21-11-2005, 19:59
The belt needs tensioning. Just file the hole in the top alternator mounting bracket into a slot, lever the alternator out and tighten the bolt up.

Sorted mine.

See ya

Matt

VIPERONE
22-11-2005, 01:05
belts squeel when they are worn.. or the incorrect tension... a quick fix is wd40... you can buy belt life extender spray also..

i just changed my alternator.. the tensioner is a twat.. in the end i left it at the slackest setting then just pulled the alternator top bolt out and then put it back in at the other side of the hole... so the force of the belt pulls the alternator towards engine, but the bolt is acting as a stopper,.. matts slot method is also a good idea... i'd have to take a pic for you to understand my method.. its the quickest and easiest... unless of course your tensioner pulley works ok...

remove o/s/f headlight
remove bonnet
remove the bolt that holds the pipe guard that runs opposite the aux belt and pivot it upwards as far as you can. Using a 7mm allen bolt place it in the centre hole in the tensioner pulley.. use a 22mm spanner whilst holding the allen bolt move the spanner (ANTI-clockwise) there is a printing error in the haynes.. undu is anti clockwise retighten is clockwise,

Swervin_Mervin
22-11-2005, 11:37
Might have to try and re-tension mine. It was squealing this morning when cold. Soon disappeared, but I can't be arsed hearng that everytime I start it.

Mattie
22-11-2005, 11:42
iv got a squeelin noise wen i start my car up and its cold as well....only just had the cam belt dun as well :x ...wud it still be this?

VIPERONE
22-11-2005, 13:50
its not the cam belt its the aux belt.. caused by tiny hairline cracks everywhere on the belt..retension, and/or spray wd 40 on

jamesy
22-11-2005, 13:56
I just took the bonnet and o/s headlight out.
same hear but left the bonnet on.

Mattie
22-11-2005, 15:41
its not the cam belt its the aux belt.. caused by tiny hairline cracks everywhere on the belt..retension, and/or spray wd 40 on

how do i retension it? :oops:

VIPERONE
23-11-2005, 00:16
tighten the tensioner pulley, 7mm bolt undue it tighten the pulley via 22mm spanner then tighten the allen bolt back up.. or replace belt f it has 10k of life or more

Plattsy
23-11-2005, 00:36
doesnt it have to have about 1.5-2.5mm of play on the belt? could the problem be its too tight? aparently excessively tight belts lead to quick wear of alternator and power steering pump

VIPERONE
23-11-2005, 00:47
mine squeeled due to it being to tight...a happy medium is needed