PDA

View Full Version : Will 16's.......

Jamie.
17-11-2005, 15:56
A. Fuk up me handaling?

B. Slow me down much?

bammargera
17-11-2005, 16:08
It depends what size of tyre you were to get on the 16's, if you were to get say a 45mm profile it will have about the same rolling circumference as the standard 15's running 55mm profile, thus meaning it wont slow you down. Then also your tyres will be slightly wider giving better grip (but not during the winter months of snow and ice) so would probably improve handling ever so slightly but I wouldn't imagine making the handling worse.
Hope this helps, Mark

Zollo
17-11-2005, 16:38
Larger wheels will, in general, not do the handling any favours at all. The smaller sidewall will give you less flexible and pliancy, meaning any bumps and ridges in the road will more easily effect the behaviour and balance of the car. The wider the tyres the more the car will follow road imperfections and white lines, causing even worse torque-steer and unsettling tram-lining. And the bigger the wheel, the heavier (materials being the same), so the unsprung weight is increased, and so the suspension has to work harder to do the same thing. So you get a nervous, unstable, slower reacting car. That looks pretty.

Of course, if your car is purely a track car, where the surfaces are completely smooth, and you can find ultra-light wheels, then you don't have to worry about the above. :)

NB. All in my opinion of course!

Jamie.
17-11-2005, 16:41
hmmmmmmm, ive been on the look out for new wheels for ages and it just aint happening! i was tempted to offer adams16v 250 for his white alloys as it is a fukin bargin but by the time i get em refurbed its another £120 then its £370 all in all.

Zollo
17-11-2005, 16:46
370 doesn't sound too bad if you're getting some perfectly refurb wheels in return.

Zollo
17-11-2005, 16:50
Oh, 195/45/16s are very close to 185/55/15s, so at least your acceleration won't be affected.

Jamie.
17-11-2005, 16:52
prob is they already are mint...... im refurbing mint wheels whats the point in that? i thought by buying an additional set of wheels to refurb/allready refurbed it would save me hassle then trying to get mine done without a spare set of wheels, my oh my how wrong was i

stew
17-11-2005, 18:05
if you buy craigs white willy wheels dont refurb them! they are MINTED! would be a huge crime!

16" rubber is more expensive than 15" by quite a bit last time i looked, as 15" wheels are more common! as zollo said about handling, so unless all you care about is looks, dont get 16" wheels. you buy a williams for the great handling, so u dont wanna go ****ing it up!

Ive got 195/15/50 tyres (Toyo T1-s) for my wheels, got them £36 quid a corner delivered! Bargin IMO! 8)

northy
17-11-2005, 18:30
I was a fan of original williams's with williams alloys.

But after seeing ballcrushers on 16" maxi lookalikes - i'd say do it.

16"'s thank you kind sir !

Zollo
17-11-2005, 18:39
I was a fan of original williams's with williams alloys.

But after seeing ballcrushers on 16" maxi lookalikes - i'd say do it.

16"'s thank you kind sir !

Tart! :wink:

matty
17-11-2005, 19:25
A 16" will always be heavier than the same 15" wheel, so from a rotational POV it will take longer to spin to same speed. But I do believe that a heavier wheel through momentum will keep spinning for longer once up to speed. If I remember rightly a heavier wheel is slower to get to speed but has an effect on top end. So light wheels are what you want for acceleration.

You may get a different manufacturer or style of 16" wheel and get same or lighter than what you have, for example a really light Oz wheel or magnesium wheel but then cost is high. Then tyres in 16" will have to be 195/45/16, which are probably not much more than 185/55/15 seeing as the 185 size is not that popular. Price difference over 195/50/15 would be greater though.

And then you are going for lower profile tyres with stiffer sidewalls giving less give than a 15" tyre in the required profile for that size.

16s may look good but don't think the sacrifices you make are worth it.

jay s
17-11-2005, 21:02
ballcrushers rims r 17's, look fookin good aswell.