PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes.

OliS
17-11-2005, 14:17
Attempted to do an oil change on a Williams over the weekend, and I have a couple of questions that I know you guys will be able to help me with! :wink:

First off the oil filter. I had a bit of advice through other forums on how to try and get the little bastard off, but what is the best way to do it. Northy replied to my post on the R'sport forum saying that it can be accessed between the headlight and plastic radiator cowl, however when I tried doing this I just took the skin off my forearm, I found the best access was from underneath between the rad and the block, but I could not get the wrench onto the filter due to the pipework that surrounds the filter. What is the definative, best way to change a Williams' oil filter.

Secondly, the car ended up taking all 5 litres of oil, is this correct? I read in the manual that it would either be 4.2 or 4.5 litres, so I was quite suprised when it was still showing just under max when all 5 litres had gone in, what is the actual oil capacity?

Apologies for the essay! :wink: Thanks in advance!

oilman
17-11-2005, 14:32
Williams Clio takes 5.1ltr according to my book.

Cheers

Guy.

OliS
17-11-2005, 15:57
Thanks Guy, bit of a coincedence, as I got my oil for the change from you guys! :D Silkolene XTR 10w-40, Made the car run so much smoother! Just hope I can get the filter off next time :roll:

dannyt
17-11-2005, 16:04
Well....make sure when you put the next oil filter on you don't do it too tight as to need to use the oil filter removal tool! I just do it hand tight so I can take it off easily through the way northy said next time!

Be careful not to rip the fan switch wires off when going from that route!

And the valver engine takes about 5.5ltr oil i think!

Danny

Swervin_Mervin
17-11-2005, 16:25
Don't need to remove the lights or owt. Lie under the front end and put your arm straight up. You can get your hand to it quite easily that way.

Swervin_Mervin
17-11-2005, 16:32
Just to add I always use a filter wrench to get it loose. Just one of those that's like a large adjustable wrench, not a chain/strap type.

OliS
17-11-2005, 16:43
Thanks mate, I was trying to use a chain wrench, and could not get the chain over the filter! Got some adjustable oil filter pliers on the way so hopefully they will help next time. :D

Lunner
17-11-2005, 17:27
Here is a tip for all you valver/williams owners, go to Halfords and order the Champion filter for the Williams, its fitted wiht a nut on teh top, so you just have to get a spanner/socket up tehre rather then a filter wrench

BRUN
17-11-2005, 17:39
that particular Champion filter has been discontinued, so buy it whilst you can...

Swervin_Mervin
17-11-2005, 17:45
Here is a tip for all you valver/williams owners, go to Halfords and order the Champion filter for the Williams, its fitted wiht a nut on teh top, so you just have to get a spanner/socket up tehre rather then a filter wrench

IMO it would be easier to just loosen with the wrench, which is easy to get in, and then unwind by hand. Once you've found it it's a piece of piss to do.

matty
17-11-2005, 19:04
Yeah put car on ramps and use a torch to locate the filter and then just pray your arms aren't too big to get up there.

Should be able to loosen by hand but a nick with filter removal tool is good as sometime you do need to nick them up a bit with one to ensure no leaks.

It is over 5 litres capacity to top of dipstick. Remember filter needs filling too.

Glad I did mine last week now its so cold, another 6k miles of trouble free motoring I hope.

Lunner
17-11-2005, 20:00
that particular Champion filter has been discontinued, so buy it whilst you can...

:shock: :cry: