PDA

View Full Version : clutch...

ian711
17-11-2005, 09:51
got a problem with the clutch, the biting point is all over the place, sometimes at the very bottom, sometimes at the very top, and the stiffness of the pedal gets really bad when it's at the top.
had the clutch pedal taken off to see if the rachet on the end was worn?? (i was told this could be the problem) but looked okay, cleaned it up, but its still doin it.
any idea's??
just a bit worried that the clutch cable is goin to go again...

fab
17-11-2005, 13:58
new clutch mate. :(

ian711
17-11-2005, 14:23
do ya reckon that'll def cure the problem or should i change the pedal first and then see what happens.
whats the damage to me wallet for a new clutch?? :?

fab
17-11-2005, 14:29
have you any service history on the car?
generally if they break cables the clutch is foopah!cost wise renault will ride you however there are a number of lads on the forum that can do this kinda work with their eyes closed(so i'm told :) )where you based?

Rich
17-11-2005, 14:30
new clutch mate

ian711
17-11-2005, 14:53
yeah it's got a full renault service history,
it's in a1 condition (except for the mud!!! :wink:)
based down south in surrey, havent seen any other williams or valvers down in my area...
i've only broke one cable, it broke pedal end of the clutch.
so do ya reckon change the clutch and pedal or just the clutch??

fab
17-11-2005, 15:03
clutch and pedal.i believe a modified pedal was released by renault.
but hey my advise is based on experience and from reading on the forum. :wink:

ian711
17-11-2005, 15:06
your help is very much appreciated mate,
reading eh??
i work in winnersh so not far from you.
will look into gettin some quotes for a new clutch and pedal.
any rough guesstimates on price???

Rich
17-11-2005, 15:07
correct fab, the modified pedal stops you snapping cables

ian711
17-11-2005, 15:15
ok, slightly dense question but do i have to ask for the modified one or do they only make the modified one now??

fab
17-11-2005, 15:35
Cheers Rich and Richy.Youve taught me well :D

Ian,nope i'm not in reading.I'm not even going to tell you where I am :lol:

Clutch from Renault.Part number 7711134045.£90I think they will take your old one as a trade in also.
Dont know how much the peddle is.chances are renault will sell you the modified one.you can hint it anyway when talking with the parts department.
Possibly looking around 2-3 hours labour.People have quoted various prices on the forum for labour on this job.

Anyone down south near Ian able to advise on this?

Cheers,

Fab.

ian711
17-11-2005, 16:37
sorry fab just looked your post from earlier, having one of those days!! lol
seems to be most willy's are up north or midlands area??
thanx for your help fab and rich, much appreciated.

fab
17-11-2005, 16:41
no worries :wink:

pretty sure zollo and anders are down south.Jan even.they are organising a mini southerners meet soon.you should hook up with them.

matty
17-11-2005, 19:14
Clutch from GSF is IRO £40. Got mine changed for £150 labour cash in hand via subframe being moved to access from underneath. Did get quotes nearer £400 from other places. New cable was fitted at same time and they reckoned that was harder than the clutch.

Never snapped a cable but been told that is the symptom of your clutch being on way out. It just tightens up more and more then snaps cables for fun.

You should know if its needed by how many miles you've done. Mine was diagnosed as being overly heavy before it started snapping cables at 85k miles and I got sorted within weeks.

Believe there was a pedal modification some cars were recalled for but not sure if mine has it or needed it being a N reg and not getting car till 5 years after it was 1st registered.