PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick tube removal

James Clio 16v
16-11-2005, 00:42
Right, my dipstick tube is broken on the support that bolts to the engine.

I've removed the bolt for the support, but how on earth do I get the tube out of the block?

Haynes is no help at all. Anybody know?

Cheers

James

MatBrown
16-11-2005, 02:22
I have tried before and didn't manage it.
Sorry, can't help.

Mat.

BenR
16-11-2005, 03:09
it'll most probably snap if you pull from the outside, it needs to be pushed from the inside of the block.

Its a true bugger.

VIPERONE
16-11-2005, 08:16
weld it, or use metal paste

2 live
16-11-2005, 10:25
iv tried gettin em out b4 now too.no success as yet...always tried on a built block tho...

James Clio 16v
16-11-2005, 12:00
Bugger! Not taking the block apart.

Would it cause any damage if I left it as it is? It seems pretty solid.

PhilW
04-02-2017, 20:14
Well, looks like I achieved the impossible when I stripped the engine down.
I must admit that after removing the bracket bolt for the dipstick tube, I was a little stuck on how to get it off the block, I did consider leaving it insitu but figured that it would probably get damaged when moving the block around.
I manaed to get it off after twisting it (trying to unscrew it) but after removal couldnt quite see how it was fixed, but based on the fact that it wouldnt be an issue for some time, I moved on with the stripping of the engine.

I got to the dipstick tube today and so revisited the problem.
The dipstick tube has a flange at the bottom and where it fits onto the block there is a flange the same size, however there is nothing to hold the dipstick tube in place as it just "buts up" to the block.

I'm convinced that Renault bonded it in place in some way as I have not broken any welds or anything like that when I removed it and thats the most obvious way of holding it in place.
However, I have asked an engineer friend of mine to make me a sleeve that will sit over both of the flanges and wil hold the tube in place.
I'll report back how I get on.......

16v_paddy
04-02-2017, 20:52
It's not bonded in any way, it just sits there & is just kept pointing in the correct position by the bolt going through the bracket into the block.

Sounds like you've just snapped the bottom of the tube off as there's supposed to be more sticking out after the flange which goes into the engine

PhilW
04-02-2017, 20:57
It's not bonded in any way, it just sits there & is just kept pointing in the correct position by the bolt going through the bracket into the block.

Sounds like you've just snapped the bottom of the tube off as there's supposed to be more sticking out after the flange which goes into the engine

What you say makes sense Paddy, however there is no sign that anything has snapped, the dip stick tube has a clean flange at the bottom and the flange going into the block is clean also.
It would make sense if there was an insert that held the parts together?
If so maybe it dropped out?

PhilW
04-02-2017, 22:19
Just seen a post on a Clio Sport site Paddy and you are right, my dipstick tubes looks like this compared with the new one.
Looks like the sump cover will have to come off.....Bugger
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8274&stc=1

Crossers
07-02-2017, 09:56
Mine wasn't bonded. I just pushed it back in with the thinnest smear of sealant and there's no hint of any leakage.

Paul

PhilW
07-02-2017, 20:08
Mine wasn't bonded. I just pushed it back in with the thinnest smear of sealant and there's no hint of any leakage.

Paul

You got lucky Paul, mine wont sit back in place, so unfortunately its sump back off and tap out the remainder of the tube.
I'm going to see if a friend can braise them back together again, if not its a new one...

16v_paddy
07-02-2017, 20:49
I've had 1 of mine welded back together so it's not much of a problem tbh

PhilW
17-02-2017, 08:40
I've had 1 of mine welded back together so it's not much of a problem tbh

just thought that I would post up the solution to the problem and see that Paddy has beaten me to it 😉.
I got my Dads mate to brasie the two parts together for me, after he did this he was not happy that the join was very strong as the metal on the lips is quite thin. So he made a collar to go over the join, brasied it on level with the lower section (so it will sit in the correct position) and then filled this with brass weld.
It should now last even if it ever needs to be removed again by a future owner 👍
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8283&stc=1 http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8284&stc=1

PhilW
24-02-2017, 16:44
Just to complete this thread incase anyone looks to see how to remove the oil dip stick tube in the future.
One the sump has been removed, you look to where the dip stick enters into the block and you will see the other end of the dip stick tube as shown below

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8286&stc=1

You just need to use a suitable drift and hammer to tap it out from the sump side.
This will avoid all the welding repairs as this part is one of the many now that is NLA.