PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried these....

dannyt
15-11-2005, 23:04
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=591

Danny

stew
15-11-2005, 23:23
apparently they make small dents in the bonnet over time. :shock:

im sure they are good coilovers tho!

Lunner
16-11-2005, 00:36
Ypou just ahve to see edde's car to put you off them for good

BenR
16-11-2005, 01:10
dont touch gaz's...........i've got the damper dyno reports just to show that they are basically........well, undeveloped to any extent.

Cheap, but your basically just paying for some steel and springs.

2 live
16-11-2005, 10:27
yep^^^^^^^^^

stay away from gaz coilovers...cheap wank.... dents in bonnet, they have done this since they launched a few years ago. AVO's or billies all the way mate. cant get billies for willy tho

dannyt
16-11-2005, 10:43
Cheers lads,

I think i just need rear dampers but keep thinking about getting the whole shibang!

So Avo's are the way to go or is it better to go for some shocks and dampers, Bilsteins or Koni etc?

Any other coilover makes etc?

Cheers

Danny

2 live
16-11-2005, 10:48
iv never had any complaints with billies tbh mate. apart from the fact that u cant get em for the williams, or u couldnt when i was researching them lol.

konis are pretty good, but i believe they sell on name alone more than actual quality of ride etc. never been in a koni equipped valver tho..they also dont make coilovers for the williams.

theres loadsa diff makes of spring/damper set ups avaliable for the valver, best off doin some research lad :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
16-11-2005, 11:26
Mr Kirman had Avos. Not coilovers though I believe.

dannyt
16-11-2005, 15:54
How much of a stiffer, harsher ride are coilovers than up-rated shocks and springs?

Also does everyone with adjustable coilovers etc adjust them much?

Danny

Jason
16-11-2005, 16:07
Koni offers a very good overall suspension + they are adjastable-> Valver only
Bilstein are a bit rough if combined with lowering springs-> Valver only

Coilovers you can get from HR, JR height adj only (made for Williams)
and Avo, Gaz, KW height+rebound adj.
Leda -> custom made to your taste :D
Apart from these you could also get Proflex, Ohlins or GrN RS
but only for competition use :P

Now here my question...
According to the local ex-dealer of Avo the quality isn't the same no more,
since the company changed hands, that's why he no longer suplies...

Comments anyone :?:

2 live
16-11-2005, 22:02
had mine over 2 years...never had a problem with them.

danny .......the coilovers on mine can be set to be softer than the original shox, middle is about std then uv got the adj either way.

tbh once id fukt around wi mine for ages, and got trhem set to how i wanted them, only times iv re-set them is for the strip, stiffening the rear up n softening the front a little. never bothered on the track, dint wanna get me hands dirty doin the rears lol

matty
16-11-2005, 22:16
Had FK Highsports on my Valver for nearly 3 years and they are awesome. Lifetime guarantee and TUV approved which speaks volumes.

Heard GAZ are too stiff and you need to get softer springs, which seems to me thatthey aren't tested on teh car they are designed for.

H&R supposed to be very good but more expensive than the FK's I went for.

And doubt adjustable damping is worth going for as they tend to be fit and forget, unless you want the option to cater for varying road quality and track use.

Jason
17-11-2005, 11:41
FK seem very interesting!!!
Do they realy make Williams coilovers, or is it just type error?
Perhaps they only make for valvers and Williams?
check it out (http://www.fk-automotive.com/data01/en/downloads/pdf_katalog/fk_2005_page_042.pdf)

smokey
17-11-2005, 14:27
I have got the Gaz coilovers on my Hybrid mate. I am yet to use the car with them fitted but took it for a 10 mile blast the other night to test my 4 pots.

They are solid as a rock and I was bouncing all over the place (not the best B roads to try them out on) but all 4 were set on the hardest setting and slammed -70mm ish. Next test drive I am going to put them on the softest setting and see how that goes and try to find a happy medium. If it comes to it I will just get a different spring rate.

Gaz are sending me a doughnut type thing which sits between the strut and body of the car to stop my bonnet denting.

Mine came with Camber correcting bolts so I need to try to find somewhere to set this all up for me proper.

Craig
17-11-2005, 15:55
iv got GAZ too, they are pretty hard, and bouncy!

leda are the way foward (if your rich)

BenR
17-11-2005, 21:05
gaz damping qualities is the problem, not the springs.

I just put my ledas on and i run 275lbs on the fronts AND even when the damping set to hardest its not crashy, stiff as ****, but not crasy at all.

The damping curves for gaz look like they were drawn with a ruler, the ledas are a perfect arc.

koni are ok, but the rears always seem to go on them and they leak often.

Spax i'm actually a bit of a fan of, i've run their NEWER stuff and not hadn a problem, damping control is actuall pretty darn good.

2 live
17-11-2005, 22:02
hehe....i have spax on the mini... rock solid, only give in the susp was in the deflection of the tyres

dannyt
17-11-2005, 22:37
So are the spax 2live and BenR reccomended too then?

Danny

BRUN
18-11-2005, 00:18
yea i had GAZ before, would be ok for a track but i wouldnt buy them again for the roads

plus the bushes on the rear shocks went within a year, and the adjustments on the fronts siezed up aswell even though they are zinc coated

Martin
18-11-2005, 00:52
I've got avo shocks on mine harsh as fuk but good on track.

Lunner
18-11-2005, 09:07

I just put my ledas on and i run 275lbs on the fronts AND even when the damping set to hardest its not crashy, stiff as f**k, but not crasy at all.

The damping curves for gaz look like they were drawn with a ruler, the ledas are a perfect arc.

Spax i'm actually a bit of a fan of, i've run their NEWER stuff and not hadn a problem, damping control is actuall pretty darn good.

I agree, got the new shoprtened uprated adjustable dampening shocks on teh fron of mine and they are good, jusy need some springs that aren't dead now

Craig
18-11-2005, 09:33
actually, when i went on the track the car handled amazingly well I thought with the GAZ's on! Not tried any others, but was well impressed. And that was with my 18 stone mate in the passenger seat!

Jason
18-11-2005, 15:13

I just put my ledas on and i run 275lbs on the fronts AND even when the damping set to hardest its not crashy, stiff as f**k, but not crasy at all.

The bad thing is that SPAX dont make anything but spring for the Williams :(

Leda is the way forward but too expencive unless you're into serious racing :roll:

BenR
18-11-2005, 21:30
mine were totally worth it, i'd actually pay more.

richy
18-11-2005, 22:37
im sticking with std (new) shockers and uprated springs now, had AVO coilovers they was ok, but prefer the std shocks and 200lb springs :)