PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wheel! Polished! Bit!

Daz.
15-11-2005, 23:00
Can't believe it, managed to keep my willy wheels spotless for months then they did the road up and not mark up the raised bloody ironworks!

F.A.O anyone whos polished there own lip on willy wheels - whats the ultimate sandpaper you use to finish it off?

The scuff's very very minor about an inch and not deep at all so it might be able to be rescued!

To be honest they could all do with a touch up as the refurb place did a shit job.

Thanks!

Winston
16-11-2005, 11:51
I bought my wheels already polished second hand :roll:

Get the wet n dry out :P

northy
16-11-2005, 11:53
if its really deep then you might need some new alloy letting in.

but a dremel is the best tool you should use.

sand the scrape out, and polish with the mops.

can u post a picture ?

Daz.
16-11-2005, 16:06
After looking in the daylight its nowhere near as bad as first thought - and all that crying i did! :oops:

I reckon if I go over the lip again all the way round it'll sort it out nicely

Northy how would I use a dremel to polish the lip? never used one before what would I need?

northy
16-11-2005, 16:12
dont need a dremel. but it makes it easier

t-cut / autosol will do the job.

dremel - the selection of sandpaper and then the polishing stones and then a mopp with a liquid polish and the appropiate attachement.

pop into b&Q and have a look !

Jason
16-11-2005, 16:14
If the lip isn't laquered you can use sandpapper #800-1200
If you do it carefuly enought using plenty of water it should perfect :wink:

Daz.
16-11-2005, 16:17
don't think it would have been to be honest, which is finer 800 or 1200?

Northy I've read that end bit 3 times and havn't got a clue what the mopp bits all about! lol but saying that I've needed a dremel for ages...

Jason
16-11-2005, 16:26
1200 is the finest one.
First do it with the 800 -Caution use LOTS of water-
Then use the 1200 with some water
and when done use some fine polishing liquid, as onrthy said

northy
16-11-2005, 16:46
Use something like this for the sanding mate

http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Sanding.html

And then these with either t-cut or autosol for polishing the rim back up.

http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Polishing_Points_Wheel.html

http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Cleaning_and_Polishing_Accessories.html

P.S Dremel call them polishing wheels, sorry but i said mops, sorry.

Daz.
16-11-2005, 17:05
right apparently we'd got one so I've just had a play with a black and decker dremmel type jobby on and old alloy - FUN!

Are those lollipop stick things called mops then? :roll:

I really don't think I need to sand it, its hasn't been 6 months since they were done, just think they need a bit of a spruce, I'll take a picture of the mark actually so you can see what I'm up against...

Which one of those doo daas is best for the final polish the bigger ones or the small ones?

Daz.
16-11-2005, 17:14
its a bit big i apologise but you get the idea - its not deep at all infact its not really that bad when you run your finger over it...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/Photo-0083.jpg

northy
16-11-2005, 17:36
thats nothing, id use a stone to remove a light skim of alloy then polish up with what ever you have to hand.

dont go to mad as you want to remove the scratch without putting more in :wink:

Jason
16-11-2005, 17:51
Listen to the man ^^^^ :wink:

Daz.
16-11-2005, 17:54
oh good!

I've got some autosol anyway, thats what I use to keep em buff which is one less thing to buy..

Is there a recommended said stone or should I go to a diy place (b&q?) and ask for a polishing stone? :shock:

Sorry about the nth amont of questions but I'm one of those really annoying perfectionists that won't attempt anything until I have the exact details! :roll:

northy
16-11-2005, 18:05
well them dremels bits are made of gold as they sell for something stupid like £10 a throw.

If you have fine wet and dry - and i mean fine, i'd use that as you can control it better.

Take your time and you need to attempt the following

remove the scrape
remove the sanding marks from removing the scrape
polish the sanding marks out

t - cut is amazing mate, or even silvo ?

Daz.
16-11-2005, 18:13
Right ok might be best if i use the 1200 wet and dry by hand to remove the scratch then t-cut out the marks..

Shame I can't do this for 3 weeks now, the cars going for its touching up treatment - I'll post a finished pic so we can all see how shit i am! :wink: