PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Storage

fab
15-11-2005, 11:22
Anything missing please feel free to add to list.

1. Fill the petrol tank, adding a fuel stabilizer, and then run the car for a while to make sure you've distributed the stabilizer throughout the entire fuel system. Over time, an empty gas tank will rust, and untreated petrol can go bad.

2. Add antifreeze to the cooling system even if the car is protected from cold temperatures. The newer coolants have corrosion inhibitors that protect and lubricate the system.

3. Change the engine oil and oil filter. Dirty oil can damage the bearings and cause engine rust. Replace the brake fluid, making sure to use the most durable grade. Remove the battery lest it leak corroding acid.

4. Coat all exposed metal surfaces in the engine area with a lubricant spray; remove the distributor cap and spray the contact points lightly.

5. Wash the entire car and apply a good wax. If storage space is damp or humid, place desiccant packs inside the car to keep moisture from damaging the interior. Don't forget the boot.

6. Set the car up on blocks to get the tires off the ground and prevent flat spots. Drape with a cloth car cover. Heavier is not necessarily better: If the car is stored outdoors, wind can cause a heavy cover to abrade the paint.

GazTwo
15-11-2005, 11:33
Stick a bit of sponge in the Tail pipe to block it up, obviously once the car has fully cooled.

Willy 2
15-11-2005, 11:43
Not sure how long your storing it for but its a bit OTT in my opinion.

Change the oil cos you can get engine rust?? What about all those old Chevy V8's you find in barns inthe states that have been left there for 20-30 years. I've seen them crank over after just a few turns of the key.

Whatever floats ya boat i guess.

Best of luck

:D

fab
15-11-2005, 12:21
As the post states "please feel free to add to list".Thanks.

p.s you can never do enough oil changes.

Anders
15-11-2005, 13:44
Buy one of those plastic bags that you actually park the car inside, then inflate with the blower. Can pick em up cheap for small cars.

A small bit of moisture in the air will rot the car from inside out!! Keep it nice and regulated, plus will keep it clean too!!

Tommo
15-11-2005, 14:16
Why just not use it? Not very helpful I know but if there's nothing wrong with it why store it?

richy
15-11-2005, 14:18
the fuel tank should be plastic mate

GazTwo
15-11-2005, 15:21
Why just not use it? Not very helpful I know but if there's nothing wrong with it why store it?

When I spoke to Fab @ Anglesey I believe the car is eventually going to Italy where his family lives so I presume it will be in storage while he is in Ireland.

Swervin_Mervin
15-11-2005, 15:23

When I spoke to Fab @ Anglesey I believe the car is eventually going to Italy where his family lives so I presume it will be in storage while he is in Ireland.

Bastard! :evil: :wink:

fab
15-11-2005, 15:28
Tommo,I bought a left hooker in the UK last July to use when I go back to my parents place in Italy.
always wanted a williams and I remember back in '92 I think it was,having the brochure on the williams and wanting one so much.couldnt afford it at the time.
So here I am today having one of them maintained and hopefully this christmas will be driving back to Rome and storing her there for holiday time etc.

Thanks for the input from Gaz Richy and Anders.Very much appreciated as ever!

Martin
15-11-2005, 15:38
Mmm Italian roads, weather and less than enthuisiatic traffic cops...

Tommo
15-11-2005, 16:07
Tommo,I bought a left hooker in the UK last July to use when I go back to my parents place in Italy.
always wanted a williams and I remember back in '92 I think it was,having the brochure on the williams and wanting one so much.couldnt afford it at the time.
So here I am today having one of them maintained and hopefully this christmas will be driving back to Rome and storing her there for holiday time etc.

Thanks for the input from Gaz Richy and Anders.Very much appreciated as ever!

Fair doo's then mate, never driven in Italy but heard the roads there are fantastic for driving... :)

fab
15-11-2005, 16:13
Promise loads of pics from the journey.

and I might add just because the williams is going there doesnt mean I wont have a track-day whore over here for those outings in the future :twisted: even if its just two wheels!