PDA

View Full Version : Engines out...

Geezer
14-11-2005, 21:23
I've just managed to bag myself a willy engine (should be having this weekend), while the engine is out what sort of things should I be looking at having done? I will be having the following as a minimum...

1. Cambelt, Tensioners & Idlers
2. Waterpump
3. Head Gasket Set
4. Oil & Filter Change

Also, are GSF parts the way to go? or should I stick with Renault only?

Sorry I know it's been posted a few times before, but I just want to make sure it's going to be running good from the start!

Craig

number1
14-11-2005, 21:37
i would do 1,2,3,4 and also while doing the headgasket make sure all the valves are sealing correctly and maybe replace the valve stem seals, maybe pop the sump off as well and clean the gauze filter on the oil feed and check shells and thrust bearings are all ok

Dave

matty
16-11-2005, 21:41
With new engine out it will be the most ideal and cheapest opportunity to get any work done on it.

You will need new Head Bolts. Clutch probably worth doing at same time.

Guess you are replacing a Valver engine so make sure you have smaller starter motor from Williams or Megane.

Could go the whole hog of checking internal components, fit new piston rings, bearings, oil seals. All dependent on milage of engine and how long you wnat it to run in car without risk of anything failing. By spending a bit extra now could save a lot of money further down line.

What milage and how much did you get it for out of interest?

Plattsy
17-11-2005, 09:03
if its a high miler might be worth getting gearbox reconditioned aswell, cost about £300 but it saves engine out and ££££ down the line getting the engine out again.
Also the clutch for sure and all the internals for any excessive wear, piston rings definately! you dont want to put the engine in to find the rings are knackered! check the injectors are ok, all valves and seats, collets, make sure u get the head skimmed!
Why not get a manual steering conversion while its out aswell ;)
Just make sure everything looks ok!

J o n
17-11-2005, 09:20
gearbox and clutch change too imo, just to be on the safe side... also something else missing from the list... CAMS!

Mattie
17-11-2005, 11:51
if u do the gear box _Craig id invest in a willy box :wink: