PDA

View Full Version : maybe make the williams more?

Gav
14-11-2005, 13:41
do you think that renault n williams should of done more to the williams b4 putting in the sales market?
I mean, 2.0 ltr, 16v body.

today u got the 1.4 16v [rn/rt] 172[rsi] 182 [16v] then the mighty v6 which really is the modern day williams, and look how much they jumped from the 182 to the v6!

maybe a 2.5 ltr 24v or something in the williams. Apart from suspension, interior, engine and a few other things its basically the same as a valver :?

what u think?

Rich
14-11-2005, 13:57
williams had nothing to do with the design so thats probably why is wasnt too much different!

J o n
14-11-2005, 13:57
wash your mouth out, it's perfect!!! :evil:

northy
14-11-2005, 14:05
do you think that renault n williams should of done more to the williams b4 putting in the sales market?
I mean, 2.0 ltr, 16v body.

today u got the 1.4 16v [rn/rt] 172[rsi] 182 [16v] then the mighty v6 which really is the modern day williams, and look how much they jumped from the 182 to the v6!

maybe a 2.5 ltr 24v or something in the williams. Apart from suspension, interior, engine and a few other things its basically the same as a valver :?

what u think?

Dont swear like that again on here buddy !

TBH i think the 172 CUP is the presentday williams in my eyes. Shares some actual 'official' bits aswell.

J o n
14-11-2005, 14:09
... I think a double ban is in order here... can't believe what i'm reading...

V6 is more R5 Turbo 2 replacement... only a proper shit version... why they never made it 300bhp N/A god only knows... then theirs the 1400kg's... recipe for pants car. Looks good though

Zollo
14-11-2005, 14:42

V6 is more R5 Turbo 2 replacement... only a proper shit version... why they never made it 300bhp N/A god only knows... then theirs the 1400kg's... recipe for pants car. Looks good though

I don't know, you straight-line merchants. The 255 V6 is a great car. So much fun to hussle around. So what if it's not some sort of quarter mile warrior?!

And besides, the Turbo 2 wasn't very quick as standard.

Mattie
14-11-2005, 14:51
wouldnt people agree that the trophy is the modern day williams???

or am i just basin that on the fact there both lmtd editions?

:-k

Swervin_Mervin
14-11-2005, 14:58
I'd say 172 Cup personally. Trophy is a gimmick, out and out.

Anders
14-11-2005, 15:27
I thought the main reason behind the Williams was for homologation for the WRC, or the equivilant back then, F2, or something like that..

As originally it was the 1.8 but then Pug brought out the 1.9 205. So Reno upped it to 2.0 and tweaked the steering geometry, but back then you had to make so many to comply with homologation, and seeing as they had won the F1 championship with Williams it was a perfect opportunity for double marketing.

A sly plan, but it worked, so much so they made a version 2 then 3.

No effort from Williams apart from the signiture to use the name.

TriO`
14-11-2005, 15:29
Trophy is a gimmick, out and out.

I'd have to agree... ^^

renault were just trying to flog a few more spare chassis before they brought out the new shapped clio ... all they did was painted them red, chucked buckets in and refurbed their wheels :?

nothing will touch the mighty Williams

J o n
14-11-2005, 15:58

I don't know, you straight-line merchants. The 255 V6 is a great car. So much fun to hussle around. So what if it's not some sort of quarter mile warrior?!

And besides, the Turbo 2 wasn't very quick as standard.

it's quick, but if someone said "we're bringing out a 3.0 Clio!" i'd expect more tbh. more power for one and less weight... A Skyline R34 only weighs a bit more than a Clio V6. The turbo 2 was a quick car in it's day though, these are slower and handle worse than 172/182's according to most reports... dunno, I'm prolly biased as the best SQM i saw from one was 15.2 iirc... pish lol

David
14-11-2005, 16:49
Trophy is a gimmick, out and out.

I'd have to agree... ^^

renault were just trying to flog a few more spare chassis before they brought out the new shapped clio ... all they did was painted them red, chucked buckets in and refurbed their wheels :?

nothing will touch the mighty Williams

Agree with you slightly there Swervin but i believe the Trophy is the new Williams i don't like to admit it as i love Williams (and no other Hot hatch in my eyes would compare) but my Mates Trophy is so much fun, he had an 182 with cup pack before but the Trophy is just so much more on the road even with its minor changes ie suspension.

Swervin_Mervin
14-11-2005, 16:57
Nah. It's still a gimmick. The 172 Cup is the spiritual successor as it puts driving fun solely as the main purpose of the car. The Trophy is too heavy, and those dampers are a gimmick.

If they'd been deadly serious they'd have cut toys to a minimum, stripped some weight and fitted coilovers.

J o n
14-11-2005, 16:58
Trophy wont be anything like a Williams... cars these days could be, but most prefer to build with the NCAP and other bullshit ratings... it may be fun, but it wont have heavy direct steering that you can feel driving over a piece of paper... now that's feedback!

David
14-11-2005, 17:11
it is true that the dampers are a gimmick but the alterations they made are certianly noticable i am sure Ragnotti would agree there :lol:

Quote:
If they'd been deadly serious they'd have cut toys to a minimum, stripped some weight and fitted coilovers.

Williams didnt get coilovers? :? ok Williams stripped slightly (compared to Vuulver) but nothing major

I know what you saying but still cant knock possiable the best handling Hot Hatch ever as agreed by many world class drivers, dosn't make the Williams feel shart because no matter how well the next generation of Hot hatch's become it will never make the Williams handling feel poor I have never drove another road car which actual feels like your turning the wheels with your hands with the sheer amount of feedback that you get

Swervin_Mervin
14-11-2005, 17:13
I'm just saying they could've basically done a proper Cup version, like the 172 Cup, but then fitted coilovers rather than those wanky Sachs things. Then they could've charged more like what the 172 Cups went for which was c£10.5k wasn't it?

David
14-11-2005, 17:22
sorry see where your comming from :oops:

Very valid point
Good call tho if all had been a bit more agreesivly setup then maybe all 500 Trophy's would have sold as it has been a good few months now and i believe you can still get one from Renault.

Were as the Williams sold so well and so quickly they produced 2's & 3's don think they will be doing that with the Trophy some how

northy
14-11-2005, 17:34
my williams 3was ordered long before it was made....have that.

no relavence - just thought i would mention it.

I really like the cups and they get alot of respect from me.

Nevr been in a trophy although ive passed afew on the trackdays we have done.

im getting coilovers in the near future - will see how much of a improvment they make.

Coops
14-11-2005, 23:04
ur missing the point, its not about speed or performance.........well okay so it is but a cars gotta have SOUL and the valvers have got that and the williams has it in buckets. modern cars got nothing, u feel like everyother bugger whos got one, same feelings same mass produced car! each and every single valver and i guess williams has its own quirks and annoyances and thats why they kick arse!!!! w elove to hate them!!

long live the early 90's clios!!!!!!

Gav
14-11-2005, 23:14
the williams is a very very very good car, just i think they might of been able to push more into it, bigger engine, wider body, something like a dimma kit on the williams. I love the williams and cant wait till nxt yr when i can get one, still think they shud of done more tho.

but then again, whats done is done, and the williams is superb :D

richy
15-11-2005, 00:01
im getting coilovers in the near future - will see how much of a improvment they make.

nay lad dont want them on!

kj16v
15-11-2005, 14:00
I'd say 172 Cup personally. Trophy is a gimmick, out and out.
One of my mates bought a 182 with Cup suspension so I can't really see the point in the Cup

Martin
15-11-2005, 14:10
172 cup is 88kgs lighter than the mk2 172 the 182 cups are just ghey fakes.