PDA

View Full Version : Rocker cover removal HELP!

paulous2k
14-11-2005, 13:31
I need to replace my rocker/cam cover gasket. I've removed all 16 bolts, pipes, plastic spark plug thing (and the 3 bolts holding it on) etc so there is nothing holding the cover on but I can't get the b&stard thing off!

I tried hammering a screwdriver in the corner and it went quite deep but I still can't lever it off. I know it can be done without removing the timing belt cover BUT has anyone got any tips for removal??? I'm asuming the old gasket is what's still holding things together.

Cheers,

Paul.

Rich
14-11-2005, 14:32
should come off! may have been put on with gasket sealer which makes it harder! just make sure you lift the dizzy side first with the cam cover being on as the rocker has a slight lip on it to keep it under there but it shoudl come off a piece of piss!

paulous2k
17-11-2005, 14:40
well its as stuck as a very stuck thing with lots of sticky stuff on it. It won't budge! Gonna book it in to my local garage......again!

Coops
17-11-2005, 19:31
sure mate? mine came off easy, it does get stuck at other end n all on vacum pipe! try gentle pursuasion with a crow bar, more levarage, but be dead careful not to damage ur head, that aint cheap to replace where asrocker cover is!!!

Coops

Justin..
17-11-2005, 22:12
i had same problem, i got a flat bladed filler knife and went along the edge till it popped of :D

BRUN
18-11-2005, 00:15
mine was badly stuck aswell first time

i hit it with a few things and just pulled by grabbing inside the plug holes

took me about 10 minutes or more, but it came off :)

paulous2k
18-11-2005, 16:46
My local 'backstreet' garage have just tried and gave up! So I'm shafted!

I hammered a screwdriver in the corner nearest the battery, it actually cut right in to the rocker cover and I still couldn't lever it off.

Guess I'm gonna have to try cutting it all the round with a blade or something, but then if it still doesn't come off I really will be shafted.

Its frustrating!!! Only needs replacing cos I'm getting oil on top of the plugs.

Justin..
18-11-2005, 19:33
use an engine hoist if its stuck that bad :P

TA
18-11-2005, 23:49
nock it sideways with a rubber mallet?

worked for me