PDA

View Full Version : Loose Steering/removing steering column...Guide on fixing??

Mish_16V
13-11-2005, 01:36
I no this has been gone over again and again on here so sorry for making yet another topic up regarding this!

My steering is loose...inch each way maybe but it flew through the MOT so can't see my dying anytime soon- only problem is it's ruining the driving sensation for me as its really not nice feeling like the steering is constantly loose.

sooo... was wondering if anyone has done a guide or anything on how hard the steering rack is to disemble, how hard is it to get off the car and what is actually needed to be welded up to solve the problem of the sloppy steering. bodyworks my thing and i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the steering assembly on a clio...

Any pics, guides etc or links to other posts i haven't managed to find would be most welcome for a damsel in distress!

Cheers in advance, Mish :D

Daz
13-11-2005, 10:20
Get a new column and change the whole thing IMO.

If you want to cheat by welding :lol: , you don't need to remove it - just give whoeever can weld stuff a photo of what needs doing - someone took a photo of a welded column and posted it ages ago.

fab
13-11-2005, 11:44
Think it was BIGHP who posted a photo of what needs to be welded,and zollo has a topic on it also.

found another link for you that might help

http://www.retro-renault.com/viewtopic.php?t=3887

Zollo
13-11-2005, 11:59
Here's a couple of threads...

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=982&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4571&highlight=column

And HP has a picture saved just for these moments....

VIPERONE
13-11-2005, 13:26
easy to remove 3 bolts in dash and one that connect to steering rack, remove and weld, or get a dwarf in there to weld it up

Mish_16V
13-11-2005, 13:41
Nice one lads, was expecting major surgery. Sounds easy enough (famous last words :lol: )

Lunner
13-11-2005, 14:10
Gunner makes it sound easier hten it is, lol

Half the dash has to come off, and tehr are 4 bolts iirc holding it ot the dash, and the bolt conencting it to the rack is a cunt and a half to get at, thanks to the rubber boot in the way

stan
13-11-2005, 14:55
this is true, but his dwarf idea was damn good....im off to look on ebay for one :lol:

Zollo
13-11-2005, 15:29
Now hang on a god darn minute! This isn't a column out job, and Lunner (and 2live), didn't you say this was a 5 minute job (if that!)? Oh no, hang on a minute....

Saw you comming, lol, its a 2 minute job, if that, couple of spots of weld

My man doesn't take any of the interior out, doing everything in situ, without burning the carpet, and does it in 30 mins. That's a drive in and out job, all for 30 quid (a lot cheaper than I've heard others being charged). And he's certainly no dwarf, but he manages fine.

Or, Lunner can help you out Mish....

I'll get my mate to do it for a drink, lol

Put your money where your mouth is mate...under 2 minutes....and all for a pint...

:wink:

fab
13-11-2005, 16:27
that sun of a bitc lunner been havin us on all this time :lol:

2 live
13-11-2005, 22:41
il do it for a tenner

Mish_16V
14-11-2005, 00:45
I bet you live the other end of the country....?? lol

Coops
14-11-2005, 01:43
my guy did the same mate, 30 quid n i watched him do it, nowt removed atall, just dampened the carpet n all i got to show for it is a bit of melted rubber from the joint itself on my bulkhead thats covered by the huge rubber grommit thing anyway, oh and pinpoint steering!!!!

Zollo
14-11-2005, 09:53
il do it for a tenner

I want video evidence of this being done in 5 minutes! From door opening to carpet being tucked back in...

He he :wink:

willy55
14-11-2005, 10:40
got the same problem with mine replaced the rack and there still movement there do you have to drop the h frame to get it out and how easy is a power steering pump to do engine out job or take the wing off???

Lunner
14-11-2005, 13:57
Now hang on a god darn minute! This isn't a column out job, and Lunner (and 2live), didn't you say this was a 5 minute job (if that!)? Oh no, hang on a minute....

Saw you comming, lol, its a 2 minute job, if that, couple of spots of weld

My man doesn't take any of the interior out, doing everything in situ, without burning the carpet, and does it in 30 mins. That's a drive in and out job, all for 30 quid (a lot cheaper than I've heard others being charged). And he's certainly no dwarf, but he manages fine.

Or, Lunner can help you out Mish....

I'll get my mate to do it for a drink, lol

Put your money where your mouth is mate...under 2 minutes....and all for a pint...

:wink:

Welding the column in the car is a 2 minute job, my comments ahve been taken outa context.

my mate will prolly weld it up for me for a drink, but is likley to charge a little more for other people.

Pull back carpet, and pull up rubber boot, weld visable half, rotate wheel 180 degrees, and weld up othger half, replace boot and carpet....job done.

Will ahve a column soon wich i'm gonna weld up and sell on

Lunner
14-11-2005, 13:58
il do it for a tenner

I want video evidence of this being done in 5 minutes! From door opening to carpet being tucked back in...

You see, normal car 5 mins, my car without carpet....2 minutes

2 live
14-11-2005, 17:49
a nomex/carbon/kevlar sheet will stop the carpet burning.

a weld all the way round isnt needed either.a couple of spots will suffice, or 4 if u really want.

Zollo
14-11-2005, 18:08
il do it for a tenner

You see, normal car 5 mins, my car without carpet....2 minutes

3 minutes to pull the carpet back and then tuck it back in? You're having a laugh. 30 seconds, tops, if that... :wink:

fab
14-11-2005, 18:12
still reckon the dwarf is the way forward on this fix

Zollo
14-11-2005, 18:15
Would he not get in the way holding it in place all the time? And want if he needed the toilet whilst you're driving? You'd have to stop. You couldn't get a Claustrophobic one either.

fab
14-11-2005, 18:24
never thought of that...would get in the way of the peddals whilst driving also...mmmh but after the welding job on the column you could use him for other jobs aswell.just build a little house for him where the spare tyre goes...thatll work

Zollo
14-11-2005, 18:40
If you just get a normal person to weld it up though, you won't need the little skirt in the first place :)

Besides, for the money you'd spend on making his house and feeding him for the rest of his days, you may as well just buy a new column and get Renault to fit it!

fab
14-11-2005, 18:57
no way mate.you wouldnt have to feed the little bugger.he would be able to feed off the rust under the rear archs.tell you thats 5* accomadation for one of those little nippers :lol: