PDA

View Full Version : silicon hose help

Dancliovalver
12-11-2005, 23:53
right have decided im going to build my own induction kit,
asically gonna have a throttle body adaptor, with a samco blue silicon elbow, then a long straight polished stainless steel tube down to the back of the near side fog light, another blue 90 degree elbow then have a throttle body sock for the filter!!
basically just wanna know where can i get the throttle body adaptor from (can i get them from here, how much??) and also need to know what bore the silicon elbows should be that i need???
cheers

heres a link to help!!

http://www.samcosport.com/elbows.asp

Anders
13-11-2005, 21:02
Not as easy as it sounds mate.

You will need some serious research to get this right. Its all about SHM (Simple Hormonic Motion), pulse freqeuncies etc...etc...

A straight pipe is not the way to go, you are going to need a collection chamber at least. The whole induction process is all about atmoshperic pressure transfer, although your plan sounds good, blue hoses, stainless pipes etc...

the fundamental principles of induction and combustion are being overlooked. Stick to having that pipe going into the standard airbox.

Best of look if yu still wanna go that route though. Don't wanna put you off, but read up on the maths before you try anything.

Dancliovalver
13-11-2005, 23:07
And also in english please mate!!!

i really dont understand to be honest!!! :oops:

Anders
14-11-2005, 12:23
OK, what you are looking for in good 'volumetric effeciency'..i.e. you want the space in the cylinder to be filled as much as posssible with wet air (air/fuel mixed).

The control and flow of this air is critical to good VE and engine performance. When your piston is on its downward stroke, it creates a space of low pressure air, then the air in the inlet manifold which is at a higher pressure (atmoshperic) is transferred to the low pressure space. The percentage of air in the cylinder comparred to the volume of that cylinder is the VE number.

To help maximise this number, without going into cam timings, port locations and surfaces, you have to control the flow of air into the inlet space (or plane). By wanting to replace your airbox with a straight pipe to the outside world you are effectively trying to push air into the inlet without any overall control, the flow will vary with road speed and you will be creating unwanted eddie currents in the chamber.

The airbox isn't just there because it holds the filter, it is there to collect and hold a set volume of air before being moved through pressure transfer into the inlet manifold. Thats why just replacing the panel filter works so well..

Peak VE happens at or near peak torque of your engine, and you can use this to calculate the optimum induction pipe bore by means of the Helmholtz Quarter Wave Organ Pipe Theory.

Another way is to use Wave Motion Theory, to help use the pressure pulces in an additive way to increase this VE.

Happpy reading!!

VIPERONE
14-11-2005, 16:10
as long as the airflow is cooler it'll be more dence = a larger bang int he cylinder.

airbox are indeed good enough for stock cars, but renault designed them with economy and loudness in mind... the average customer back in 94 spending 15k wouldnt want a rally style sound coming from the engine bay.

the rally cars naturally ditched the air box and ran green induction kits.
there are various options where you fit the home made kit, in the washer bottle compartment, in the front bumper, back of engine bay, test your installation by getting a colleague to operate a hairdryer into the intended port, feel the air at the inlet side, adjust accordingly until maximum flow prevails, the ecu will adjust itself accordingly(within limits) to sort fuelling and air ratios out... if yo fit an airfuel meter i can issue you with the idea air/fuel ratios at all rpms.

Heat soak from engine will slow you down, theres no doubting that.

speak to winston, his dong method issued him with more noticable torque etc, and the sound that came with it was nice :-) enjoy, 'll also bee making an iduction kit, but im not wasting money on alu piping, B & & gutter piping and reducers etc will suit me fine :-) cheap and does the job,,,may even surround in fireplace backing tape to reflect the heat..

any sharp bends will cause an airlock int he pipe, and will more thanlikely forceit back out of the intake... subtle is the key .

Dancliovalver
14-11-2005, 17:30
lol u both have still lost me, you sed that an airbox works well on standard cars, mines not really standard, would that make a difference??

AndyFielder
17-06-2007, 13:11
will be interested in the air fuel ratios once my gauge is working gunner.

Andy