PDA

View Full Version : Removing brake pipes

smokey
11-11-2005, 17:58
Whats the best way to undo the joint on the car? I have undone the caliper end no probs but cannot get the other end undone.

Thanks

Rich
11-11-2005, 18:52
use a proper brake spanner or you will prob round the nut off :wink:

Lunner
11-11-2005, 20:09
Soak in lots of plus gas and a brake spanner, i still managed to round mine off though, so plan B) cut the pipt off just above the union,a nd fit a new union, and then get a grinder on teh existing one and take it off the car, but will need a new brake line if you do that

smokey
11-11-2005, 22:05
well.............I have well and truely rounded it off :oops:

How easy is it to cut and fit a new union? Will i be able to get the parts from Halfrauds?

I am fitting my 4 pots and braided hoses so will be chopping the old ones off :D

Whats best to cut through the metal brake line with?

edde
11-11-2005, 22:15
Its not to bad you have to replace the whole line back to the ABS or master clyinder (depends if you have ABS or not).
Halfords sell the stuff you need a new nuts new pipe and a pipe bender and flairing toools. Just remember to put the nuts on before you flare the pipes as I've forgot way to many times.

Lunner
12-11-2005, 01:05
I thought if you choppedthe pipe off close to the unon then yuo didn't nee to replace the whole line :?

edde
12-11-2005, 15:39
Yep you can do that buts it better replacing the pipe you never know if you cut a pipe if you'have enough flexiable piping IMO so best replac the wheole thing its not much more work and brakes are the most important things IMO.

smokey
12-11-2005, 17:09
well i have just been and bought 8m copper pipe, 4 unions, a pipe flairing kit and pipe cutter.

Will give it a go see how I get on :?