PDA

View Full Version : Main Dealer Service

fab
11-11-2005, 09:57
2morrow i'm bringing the car into a main dealer for service.this so far is the list i have compiled for them to do.

Gearbox Bush Kit Adjust Linkage
Gearbox Mount 7700849715
Drain and Re-Fill Gearbox Oil
Front Shocks and Top Mounts
Check Springs and Front Suspension Components
Renew Clutch Cable
Flush Cooling System
Diagnostics check XR25/CLIP
Adjust lights for Continental roads

Based on your experiences,can anyone advise on anything else that may need to be looked at?
I am planning a long journey before christmas so any tips on what I should bring along and what to look out for mechanical wise on the trip would be much appreciated.
Ive done this road many times but always in a new car.
I have faith in the williams so I want to really enjoy this one.
:D

Mattie
11-11-2005, 10:50
reno will suck u dry 4 doin all that.....there rip offs! :evil:

fab
11-11-2005, 12:05
LOL.care to hazard a guess at the price?

NickFr
11-11-2005, 12:14
£250-£300....I guess....Where are you driving to?

fab
11-11-2005, 12:20
The route is from Dublin to Holyhead on to Folkestone across to Calais, head towards the swiss/italian border and head down south to Rome.

NickFr
11-11-2005, 12:41
Couple of tips, which I expect you know anyway!

1. Snow chains are a legal requirement in Italy when driving throught the Alps

2. Jump leads are advisable, however they are also a legal requirement in France, together with tow rope(very cheap to buy fold up rigid tow bar in France.

3. Use High Performance antifreeze
4. Reflective vest for you and Passenger....legal requirement
5. Spare Bulb kit....legal requirement

Bit Boring sorry!

fab
11-11-2005, 13:08
Most of it I got from the AA site about legal requirements.

You just reminded me to fill the windscreen washer bottle also with high performance windscreen wash as the last time I did this in winter the wipers stuck to the windscreen going down the M1.

Once I land in calais I wont be hanging around france all that much.7 hours to the border.

northy
11-11-2005, 13:09
pictures - pictures - pictures

fab
11-11-2005, 13:20
hehe northy,once i drove around the M25 and I thought it was thunder and lightning!afterwards i realised it was those gatsos they use!
no worries though,the irish do not have a system whereby the europeans can issue speading tickets to us.LOL

Coops
12-11-2005, 18:56
how much was the service then mate? come on its gotta of been a packet!!!

fab
12-11-2005, 19:09
:lol: i left it there today and legged it
will know next week.

funny thing happened on the way there this morning.bought a rear wiper arm couple of months back.decided to fit it before bringing into them to save like a £100 labour!!sure enough it went on Ok but when i went to use it the balsted thing stopped working :evil:
i thought to myself turn around go home and burn this car.after about half an hour it decided to work.so its in their hands now and yes i am sweating it :D

Coops
12-11-2005, 20:10
i thought the rear wiper was motor or something problem but the intermittent problem is with the ciruitry, relay or something!!!cuz i got no rear wiper but i use the circuit to open my boot cuz its delocked n all!!!and it never works!!

fab
12-11-2005, 20:30
those problems are usually relay related.

will say this though.
I spent about 10 minutes talking to the service manager this morning about problems i'm having with the front suspension and basically the amount of knowledge that I have gained over the past six months by being a club member is phenomenal.
talked the talk if you know what I mean and in the end he conceded and said he would ask the mechanics about the suspension issue.

VIPERONE
12-11-2005, 20:41
if you have a van you wont have a rear wiper arm!
its not an mot issue..

it'll be the relay under glove box,top row far right

Coops
14-11-2005, 01:23
what u on bout guner? vans n stuff n mot issues? u lost me!!!!

fab
14-11-2005, 13:34
Gearbox Mount
Drain and Re-Fill Gearbox Oil
Top Mounts
TrackRods and Ends
Clutch Cable (supply)
Rocker Cover Gasket
Flush Cooling System
Adjust lights for Continental roads
Rear Wiper blade
Boot Clip
Tracking
Accelerator Cable

Slight variation on original estimate,but I was close to what needed doing.
Green light for diagnostics check.No errors. :D
Shocks not leaking oil. :lol:
Springs OK. :D

How Much?!

j3ned
14-11-2005, 13:40
You want that doing at a main dealer ???????? expect little change for £1000 !!

fab
14-11-2005, 14:02

p.s remember aswell that Renault Ireland have to buy their parts from the Renault UK.

So from what ive been reading about main dealer estimates on the site it sounds like you lot are being rode! :P

Anders
14-11-2005, 15:14
Did you need new headlight units to adjust for continental use?? Or can they tweak the beam direction??

Need this doing too, but just presumed the direction was based on the lenses in the actual units and I needed new headlights complete.

Cheers

fab
14-11-2005, 15:27
My car is a dutch import and I remember the Lady I bought it from telling me she had the original headlamps for it.That must mean she had to have them replaced for UK roads.She forgot to give them to me when i collected the car so their still in her place.Thanks for reminding me.Will give her a buzz.

I havent collected the car yet Anders but i remember the service manager telling me that they use the lamp stickers.But I guess you are like me and need the actual lamps.

Anders
14-11-2005, 15:34
Yeah go the shitty stickers as a pre-caution, not sure what the Swedish police are like - tall, leggy, blonde with a great rack would be good, but I'm guessing that won't happen.

Reckon I am going to have to change them over, at some point, but not sure how much dazzle there would be as the beam coverage at night looks kinda the same either side.

TriO`
14-11-2005, 15:38
800 quid :o you could have saved so much cash by doing most of those jobs yourself...

could have probably bought cams with the money you could have saved :o

fab
14-11-2005, 15:58
Yeah go the shitty stickers as a pre-caution, not sure what the Swedish police are like - tall, leggy, blonde with a great rack would be good, but I'm guessing that won't happen.

Reckon I am going to have to change them over, at some point, but not sure how much dazzle there would be as the beam coverage at night looks kinda the same either side.

tall leggy blonde...yes please :D

bout the lights.its not that you would notice much difference but you would blind the **** out of truckers on the other side of the road.I remember well going on the continent without adjusting my lights and for the whole journey the bastards kept flashing their lights at me!

fab
14-11-2005, 16:00
800 quid :o you could have saved so much cash by doing most of those jobs yourself...

could have probably bought cams with the money you could have saved :o

I'd say ive saved myself a lot of bother.I dont have the tools or lifting equipment to do those jobs safely.Aswell as that I get a nice big fat Renault receipt at the end of it all :wink:

Coops
14-11-2005, 18:57
ur mad mate! am rebuilding my engine on that budget!!!!!although i admit, its gonna take me fookin ages!!!haha!

fab
14-11-2005, 19:00
mad as a hatter i am :wink:
ive saved some money on petrol costs by taking the bus to work so I can afford to throw some money at it.anyways the way i see it this car is gonna out live me.so looking back in years to come it will probably have been worth it.

Zollo
14-11-2005, 19:12
Personally I can't believe any of you lot use plumbers, electricians, builders. Waste of money, I do it all myself. And why use a bank and suffer those charges, when you can set up your own financial institution. As for Lawyers; no need, I have all the qualifications.

:roll:

fab
14-11-2005, 22:43
Yeah go the shitty stickers as a pre-caution, not sure what the Swedish police are like - tall, leggy, blonde with a great rack would be good....

hey anders did you manage to fit those shocks n springs last weekend.remember you posting something about it.I take it your heading off soon?