PDA

View Full Version : I want lovely looking black bits!!!

Jeeder
09-03-2005, 14:45
That subject got your attention didn't it!!!

I need some help please all. All of the black plastic parts on my Williams 1 (door handles, inside section of wing mirrors etc) are starting to take on that horrible faded, greying appearance.

What is reccommended for restoring it back to a blacker colour.

I had a look in Halfords and there's billions of products that reckon they do the trick. Do they really work? And if so, what one should I go for?

Thanks, Matt

GazTwo
09-03-2005, 14:55
I use Auto Glym Bumber Care, I found when I first used it it washed off very quick then after that stuck on and gets blacker everytime u use it.

Swervin_Mervin
09-03-2005, 14:57
No they don't. Well not for long anyway.

1st step. Get to boots and buy some nail varnsih remover, taking care to get one that contains acetone.

2: On somewhere inconspicuous test a little of the NVR. It should be fine, as I've used it with no problems.

3: Using a cloth or toothbrush (gets in to the grain) go over all the plastic areas. Don't rub too hard, as the acetone may slightly smooth out the plastic. (I overdid it on the roof spoiler, but you wouldn't know if I didn't tell you)

4:Once you've done this, you should've noticed a difference.

5: Now you can apply products. My fave is Williams F1 Gel (keeping in with the williams theme!) I've found this lasts very, very well indeed.

The reason most product sdon't work properly on their own is that they are a silicone based. All they are really doing is sealing in the crap that's aready in the plastic that has built up over the years.

If you use the NVR you'll find you need to re-apply the product far less often than if you don't. Whatever you do though, don't go over the top with it, and I'd use it only once un-diluted.

It's also extremely good at removing white chalk marks from polish/wax. These you could probably do diluted or with a light pressure.

KingStromba
09-03-2005, 15:01
I have 5 litre bottles of acetone at work i used everyday. Hmmm i wonder if some will go missing. :D

Swervin_Mervin
09-03-2005, 15:07
Cool. Obviously pure acetone is better. Although I used the g/fs nourishing creme NVR last time! :P

northy
09-03-2005, 15:10
mate....everyone will tell u differant.

Mine are nice and black / dark grey now...but its taken a good year for them to keep there shine.

I use autoglym bumper care - recommended to gaz and 2live by myself. But for heavily faded plastic - You carnt go wrong by buying some turtle wax back to black liquid. (not the spray type...you want a black gel) treat the bumpers and plastic with this once everytime you wash it - or 2 a month then add once it starts to hold the colour treat and protect with autogylm.

Mine were grey when i bought it - now its a nice dark grey...if your coming to fcs i will do them for you.

KingStromba
09-03-2005, 15:12
I use eye of newt and toe of frog...

....and just a pinch of spam :wink:

dannyt
09-03-2005, 16:18
auto glym bumper care...but might try using what mike said first just to remove the crap!

Swervin_Mervin
09-03-2005, 16:31
I might be dropping mine by some detailing nerds with extreme equipment before the FCS! :twisted:

big hp
09-03-2005, 17:20
Because of the type of plastic Renault used the colour sinks from the plastic. A tip a friend at a bodyshop gave me was to remove the trim where possible, and heat with a heat gun. This encourages the colour to the surface. You can then use Autoglym etc just to protect. Obviously if you can't remove the trim then mask up etc.

**** i accept no responsibility for damaged paint or melted plastics ****

I recently done this on my mums corsa for her, the arch extensions on them are notorious for it. they actually go white though. Looked like new by the time I finished.

Swervin_Mervin
09-03-2005, 17:29
Dude. Now I'm going to HAVE to try that!

Anyone know much about recovering the boot strip. I bought one from Infinicar to replace my cracked one, and intended on just sanding it down and then re-spraying in matt black/dark grey. Would it last?

KingStromba
09-03-2005, 17:38
Because of the type of plastic Renault used the colour sinks from the plastic. A tip a friend at a bodyshop gave me was to remove the trim where possible, and heat with a heat gun. This encourages the colour to the surface. You can then use Autoglym etc just to protect. Obviously if you can't remove the trim then mask up etc.

**** i accept no responsibility for damaged paint or melted plastics ****

I recently done this on my mums corsa for her, the arch extensions on them are notorious for it. they actually go white though. Looked like new by the time I finished.

Hair dryer?

big hp
09-03-2005, 22:29
Would do the same thing, just take longer. Prob safer though.

KingStromba
09-03-2005, 23:02
Ill try it on the plastic i take off to replace with new parts and report if it works.

big hp
09-03-2005, 23:12
Ok KS.

Defo works on vauxhall plastics. done it to my mums car last weekend.

dezmondo
09-03-2005, 23:31
Have heard of this before (the heat gun thing) but I know someone who did it but got a little carried away and ruined his door mirror glass by heating the surround too much which kind of delaminated the mirror! You defo need to get the trim off before doing this.

Wonder what all the black bits would cost new from reno? got me thinking expensive thoughts now :wink: !!

KingStromba
10-03-2005, 00:12
LOL, alot :wink:

AndyFielder
05-07-2007, 21:05
heating worked on the boats i used to race... a very good way to increase the 'resail' value after you have thrashed it for a year ;)

Daz.
05-07-2007, 21:34
Will have to try some of the methods above!

bill.
05-07-2007, 22:24
aye, think the hairdryer will be out at the weekend

AndyFielder
05-07-2007, 22:25
just spend £50 on cleaning kit, on top of what i already have! best be worth it (i have been reading too much CS ;))