PDA

View Full Version : pleas help fuel computer broken car running like poo

gwionsavill
09-11-2005, 14:33
hi guys me again, ive taken my williams 2 to a local garageto see if he could sort the dodgy idle for me, like i said on my last post i cleaned the idle control valve and tb and put new dizzy cap and rotor arm and plugs in it but to no avail. What the guy at the garage has told me is that the fuel computer is playing and he can not reset it or do anything else with it. He told me its around 500 quid for a new one so i asked about second hand and he said he wasnt sure if you could use a second hand one because each one is set for a specific car. Do any of you all knowing gods on clio williams know what i should do or how can i fix it on the cheap. :cry:

Lunner
09-11-2005, 17:21
Balls to that, they are of the shelf ECU's, just egt another one for your car, but make sure its the correct phase.

Don't think the imobiliser is an issue.

Or if you take it to somewhere like superchips they will solder a new chip on and map it properly to your car, so problem will be sorted and car will be faster, around £300-£350 iirc

gwionsavill
09-11-2005, 17:25
mate u are a ledgend, u tell me all the right things, any idea where i can get a second hand ecu for a m reg williams 2.

neilc
09-11-2005, 17:42
Get the throttle pretensionometer checked as mine was giving a broken signal and causing it to play up.

Still on the hunt for an ECU myself just to be safe lol.

gwionsavill
09-11-2005, 18:36
do you guys know anywhere in the cardiff area that could do the chip in my ecu

neilc
09-11-2005, 19:21
easier to swap the whole ecu over, when you find one that is.

BRUN
09-11-2005, 19:29
contact these

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

BigBoreBri
09-11-2005, 19:31
I would make sure the ISCV has been set-up correctly, ECU's only take input signals and corespond that to its internal MAP to set the fuel/air ratio etc...

Most ECU failure's ive seen have been catastrofic, not merely idle issues... :?

gwionsavill
09-11-2005, 19:58
how can you set up the idle control valve :?: im not sure whether i understand this properlly is the fuel computer a seperate ecu unit or is it the main ecu of the car. :?

BRUN
09-11-2005, 20:03
there is only one ECU and that does everything, its in the scuttle panel under the jack

its very common for them to get wet and **** up

gwionsavill
09-11-2005, 20:11
thats what the guy at the garage said,the mechanic pluged the car into a diagnostic tester and a fuel computer fault came up and he told me i need a new ecu so im only going by what he has said.

neilc
13-11-2005, 18:56
Get the throttle pretensionometer checked as mine was giving a broken signal and causing it to play up.

Still on the hunt for an ECU myself just to be safe lol.

Got me an ECU off of eBay today for £10.50 :D

gwionsavill
13-11-2005, 19:57
ive sent mine off to ecu doctor but he has phoned and said he cant find any faults. i have no idea what to try next, i think i will buy a new idle control valve and see how it goes, unless somone has any bright ideas :(

big hp
13-11-2005, 23:58
ive sent mine off to ecu doctor but he has phoned and said he cant find any faults. i have no idea what to try next, i think i will buy a new idle control valve and see how it goes, unless somone has any bright ideas :(

I've got a Williams ISCV that works 100%. Bought it when I thought I had a problem. £25 if your interested. (what I bought it for)