PDA

View Full Version : Willy Wheel Refurbs

Fred
09-03-2005, 02:30
Hello, as some of you may have seen on CS i now do Williams Wheel refurbs

Chemically stripped, blasted, powdercoated + lacquered, then cut rims

the diamond cut rims aren't lacquered, some of you that have used lepsons will understand why!! you will have to polish the rims every 2 weeks or so

£220

ring me for further questions 07769712624

cheers FRED

FlamingMonkey
09-03-2005, 10:20
Yeah got my rims done in Bury and they arn't laquered, the rims look good when Autosol'd pity the paint on the wheels chip when you look at them hard :cry:

northy
09-03-2005, 10:52
Mine are booked in with Fred for the 1st week in May. He's even fitting my new tyres. Cheers pal.

A little expensive compaired to others - but i carnt fault the match and finish.

Mine can be viewed at FCS.

dannyt
09-03-2005, 11:26
I want mine gold now, i feel left out!!!! :lol:

Fred - how much for just one colour?

Danny

Dno194
09-03-2005, 12:37
Fred, I'm based in essex, am I too far to get this service? Would I have to post them?

KingStromba
09-03-2005, 12:45
Dean, i want mine done too, im in Norwich. Would you come this way for two sets fred?

KingStromba
09-03-2005, 13:06
Id like to book mine in Early April.

big hp
09-03-2005, 13:36
Why don't you lacquer the polished rim?

I refurbed my own wheels, polished lip etc and lacquered the rim. Its perfect. No reaction etc. can't see what the problem is.

2 live
09-03-2005, 14:22
me neither really......unlacquered id say its more suseptable to corrosion and fine damage ..... mine are lacquered also....been done over a year now n they fine...............apart from where the mrs kerbed it....

Dno194
09-03-2005, 14:45
I've actually got 5 that need doing in april (so they'll all be exactly the same colour). The other four are in need of a refurb, but is not worth the financial outlay as I will sell them once the other 5 have been refurbed. I've also got a few silver ones (some of the five that need doing). 10 wheels in total! :shock:

Does that make sense?

dezmondo
09-03-2005, 20:58
Am going to ring you tomorrow because I need a set of Williams and a set of cup alloys doing (PM'ed you on CS a while ago!) and plan to get them over to you next Monday.

Don't fancy not having the rims lacquered though (the person that refurbed the rims before I got the williams hadn't lacquered them and they were lovely, all grey and finely pitted (oh, and a kind of greeny gold colour!)! I polished them up a bit and lacquered them with Halfords rubbish and 2 years on they are still fine (if a little green!!).

Would you be able to lacquer them if requested and then let us take our chances? I suppose I would even be willing to get them polished and re-lacquered by you once a year or so if need be ('cause I am a lazy arse and can't imagine getting the brasso out every couple of weeks!! :wink: ).

Whats the best number to ring and when is best to get you :?: ?

dezmondo
09-03-2005, 21:01
I assume reno laquered them originally and they must have lasted a few years without issues (or were loads re-done under warrany??).

richy
09-03-2005, 22:12
freds doing mine at the moment should get them back around the weekend, ill just buy some polish and use that for rim edge :)

dezmondo
09-03-2005, 22:38
I'm not bothered about the summer when the willy will be out most weekends and will probably get washed and polished more regularly that my other willy (ahem :twisted:) it is just the winter when I plan to use the car as little as poss and so don't want to be out every week un-covering the car to give the wheels another polish!

I wonder if I could coat them with somethimg to protect them?

Perhaps I could smear vaseline around the rim to prevent my willy from getting tatty :P :P :P

Just had another thought, re-polishing the wheels with a (slightly abrasive) metal polish every 2 weeks, thats 25 times a year (at least) keep the Williams a few years (say 5) thats 125 polishes - won't this affect the thickness of the metal over a long period?

FATBOY
09-03-2005, 22:45
there are protective waxes you can buy! i use it on mine!

dezmondo
09-03-2005, 22:50
So you reckon that an unlacquered rim is the way to go or do you think lacquered wit

h a relacquering each year (or if there is a reaction or something)? I do like the idea of keeping them nice and polished but worry that time is my greatest enemy and I might struggle to keep them well - risking corrosion and damage!

alos, is there not an 'edge' between the polished rim and the gold where water could eventually get in and cause the gold to come off?

big hp
09-03-2005, 23:01
me neither really......unlacquered id say its more suseptable to corrosion and fine damage ..... mine are lacquered also....been done over a year now n they fine...............apart from where the mrs kerbed it....

Exactly, unlacquered your open to the elements. A clear lacquer is fine.

Martin
10-03-2005, 11:04
My williams wheels are 18 months old and I have noticed yesterday the first tiny crack in the paint on one of the rims.....a couple of small marks from stonechips but on the whole they are wearing well. I can guess why they look fecked after 9/10 years though!

FlamingMonkey
10-03-2005, 11:13
Mine are unlaquered and they are fine, never been near any polish and look shiny as a shit

The reason the wheels errode is due to the laquer/ paint letting water in and keeping it in, when they are unlaquered this won't happen, either way do what you want as they will **** up eventually anyway, no matter who refurbs them hehe

KingStromba
10-03-2005, 11:40
I think the moral of this story is. Original wheels are best. :D

FlamingMonkey
10-03-2005, 11:46
Agree with Strombone

katbloke
10-03-2005, 19:14
for those of us too far away or strapped for cash can those who have satisfactorally refurbed there own give a step by step guide inclusive of correct gold paint colour/code im currently involved in buying a house and am skint.

cheers.kat'