PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problems???

roffy
07-11-2005, 10:38
I was driving home last night and whilst on the M40 the battery light pinged on, and stayed on. once i got off the motorway noticed that the wipers were slowing, so turned off radio and fan, and just about got home. as soon as i turned the engine off the battery was dead. i'll have a look at her when i get home, is there anything else that could have caused the loss of charge? i didn't hear a belt go and it was too dark to see the belts when i got home. oh and the battery was replaced a few months ago.

Any ideas? and what sort of labour time would i be looking at at changing the alternator?

Cheers

Anders
07-11-2005, 10:50
Check the wiring first of all to see if anything has come off. There is a block terminal at the top of the alternator, then a positive feed going back to the battery at the side nearest the bulkhead.

I would charge the battery up, start the car then put a meter across you battery, it should be reading at about 14V. If lower then the alternator is dead, or dying.

It doesn't take long to change, but it is a shit to get too when in the car. Headlight might have to come out, along with top frame that holds radiator in place.