PDA

View Full Version : What next?

LucyLoo
05-11-2005, 00:36
Right I've come to the difficult decision to sell the Williams, absolutely gutted because I love it and only had it 6 months, but I need to seriously reduce my outgoings and presently the Williams is costing more each month than the rest of my rent and bills put together (mostly insurance)

Sooo...... What do I get instead?

Need something a lot cheaper to insure, for about 2k, thats reasonably economical on fuel, also don't want anything thats going to break all the time :roll: It needs to be a little bit nippy :cry: i.e. not a 1.0 Micra (like my mum suggested!) Not driven a slow car since I was 19 (which was ages ago!) HELP?

So far can only think of a Saxo VTR 98-99, not sure what they are like for reliability tho, only known people who have had them when they were new....

Any advice much appreciated :lol:

FATBOY
05-11-2005, 00:39
dont do it! you will regret it! cut down on nights out more than anything! that would surely save some money if ur a very social person???

BRUN
05-11-2005, 01:18
i dont drink or smoke, if i did i couldnt afford a valver

LucyLoo
05-11-2005, 01:19
After 'essentials' i.e. rent, housebills, phonebills, car insurance etc etc. I have approx 50 squid a week left over for 'non' essentials like food, petrol, fags, beer, clothes, nites out..... £50 of which is going on fuel,...... and I'm starving...... and so are my cats!

P.s. I've tried to get rid of the cats, but they keep coming back!

BRUN
05-11-2005, 01:29
your financial situation sounds a bit like mine !

ill be ok, but only in about 4 years time when my monster loan is paid off

edde
05-11-2005, 01:56
I'd do some serious thinking about money if your that badly off.
Don't discount the Micra though there a funny car i had one for a few month when my car was being fixed 50mpg and I drove it hard I got 55mpg for the dci on the same driving. 30mpg foot to the floor falt out for a few hours loaded up with stuff. OK it didn't corner quick but its fun and cheap to run even the serving is detailed in the manual ie how to change oil etc.
If not what about a Ka same sort of thing cheap to run car but they do have good chassic plus they go round bend quickish.
Going from a Williams to any car will seem like a step down the cars are very quick and competant a 172/CTR won't seem like a step up and your looking at saving money.
What about a diesel you can pick diesel Clio's for quite cheap 18k/2yr servicing and I think I've done a good job of proving there reliabilty my dcis done a lot of track days, the ring a few times and 52k of driving without any serious problems. However its nowhere near the Willaims for sharpness but its still not to bad its quicker than a Ka or micra I recon on the bends.

lewis_willy2
05-11-2005, 21:39
ive jus sold my valver due to financial reasons so gutted, driving a punto at the mo, 1.2 so slow, but cheap 2 run, but geiin a bike 2mro, then gna save all the money i dont spend on a car

like the £270 a month insurance and 200 loan from the old man

gna save a few grand so in theory in 6 months i should have 3k maybe mre gna pay insurance outrite and get a hybrid :lol:

Gav
05-11-2005, 23:44
lucy loo, if u were 19 YEARS ago like you said and insurance on a williams is alot inc rent etc, then like edde said, maybe a change in job is the answer?
Ive been driving for 5 mths n i own a valver, plus rent, petrol, nightsout, and rent on the westmids bodyshop unit and i still got money left to waste.
I wouldnt sell the williams, your gonna regret it. There must be another way

fab
06-11-2005, 00:41
TBH I dont think your gonna save a whole lot by changing car.
Any car thats out of its manufacturers warranty is gonna hit your pocket every time.

So your insurance premium apears to be the issue.If the policy is in your name try and get your parents to go as policy holder and you as named driver.I did it this way for years when I had a 5GTT and other hatchs.
Otherwise shop around for a better quote.

Otherwise if you really want to keep the willy then garage it and take the bus/train to work as I do!I havent driven mine in two months and the amount ive saved on petrol alone will allow me to throw money at it to keep her sweat and also keep me interested in going to work otherwise I wouldnt bother my arse working because I would have nothing to look forward to.

anyways thats my two pence thrown in. :wink:

NickFr
06-11-2005, 00:46
Tough call.....owning and driving a car is expensive! hope you find a way to sort your little problem out :wink:

FATBOY
06-11-2005, 04:02
dont know if this helps! but norwich union are doing pay as you drive insurance for 17-23 year olds? how old are you?

J o n
06-11-2005, 14:29
declare the Willy off the road, dont insure it and get a run about until you can afford it imo... future classic, cant sell em! lol

Justin..
06-11-2005, 14:35
dont know if this helps! but norwich union are doing pay as you drive insurance for 17-23 year olds? how old are you?

dunno about that, norwich union wouldnt touch me on my valver, they said i have to be 25 to insure it with them, so i doubt they'd do it on the williams

Andyvalver
06-11-2005, 14:39

dunno about that, norwich union wouldnt touch me on my valver, they said i have to be 25 to insure it with them, so i doubt they'd do it on the williams

Me too, said i have to be 25. I told them to stop sending me ****ing letters then!

Gav
06-11-2005, 15:15
and me, only elephant would do me a good price.
And like Andy, there sending me letters still

mutley
06-11-2005, 20:08
Pug 106 rallye looks proper fun to me! my mates got a scooby sport - just as much fun as the big bro turbo, but cheaper insurance and cheaper to buy and sounds great with the K&N and full magnex.....

.......i been thinking about getting rid of my williams for a while and really dont want to. the price i paid for it 2 and a half years ago and the price i'd get for it now just doesnt make sense - i would prob lose about 2k :shock:

derv
06-11-2005, 21:54
can u not get a house mate to share the bills with?

BRUN
07-11-2005, 00:16
im in the shit at the moment with my finances too :(

tricky
07-11-2005, 01:43

Me too, said i have to be 25. I told them to stop sending me ****ing letters then!

I did an online quote for my old VTS and got the insurance. When I switched to a valver they tried to tell me to F* off but I argued about the VTS being grp 14 and the valver being grp 13 WTF? and in the end they insured me. (I'm 24 BTW with 6yrs No claims. )

Swervin_Mervin
07-11-2005, 12:04
I know I might get shot for saying this on here, but why not try a newer shape dci?

I had a dynamique+ (top, top spec) and it was teh 80bhp version. It was actually a very good car which my mum bought off me.

Insurance cost me about £400 or less, and you could easily get just shy of 500 miles off a tank and that was thrashing it.

I don't think it handled too shabbily either on it's F1s and it could demolish the motorway no trouble. Used to regularly push other cars out of the way with it.

2 live
07-11-2005, 12:17
eats the cats.3 birds 1 stone..u wont be hungry, the car will have juice, and the cats wont come back.

simple really

:lol:

Anders
07-11-2005, 12:19
Yep, sounds a bit stupid but I would go for an oil burner too.

try and go for a relativley new version as old ones ARE smokers, but the new crop are superb.

I have a new laguna 2.2 dci, and the torque is ace...as long as you stay in the torque curve it is great fun. But the Willy at weekends is better... :lol:

I would rent mine to you on a weekend basis but as I am leaving this stinking country maybe somebody else could step in... like a Willy hire car business...ummm there's an idea

Plus you can get chips for all sorts of diesels now which get huge power increases quite easily.