PDA

View Full Version : What gains can be had with....

Willy 2
03-11-2005, 16:20
If you take a stock standard Williams in good condition circa 80k on the clock what gains could be expected from

a) induction kit
b) A.M rear silencer
c) full system
d) full sys inc de-cat
e) chip / remap

But only one item can be added to your car; i.e std car + a chip...etc etc

And finally, if you add an induction kit, chip, full decat exhaust what could you gain from that lot. Assuming your at std power of 150bhp to start off with.

Just curious. :D

Andyvalver
03-11-2005, 16:22
10bhp ish :?

Willy 2
03-11-2005, 16:36
From what??? The whole chip, filter, zorst?? just the chip???......... :?:

Anders
03-11-2005, 16:36
All or nothing....

To see any gains at all, you have to fit all of these at the same time. You won't acheive much just changing one thing, they all work together.

By changing exhaust, filter (just upgrade the std panel filter), you are just making the breathing better. To get any real gains (10Bhp if you are lucky) then the fuelling has to be changed to benefit from the easy breathing i.e. Chip.

Next its headwork, cams blah blah blah

northy
03-11-2005, 16:39
induction kit - sod all bar noise

full system inc decat - a decat is like loosing a passenger and full exhaust is miles better than a standard one

remap - 2live is running a remap on a standard engine and has said that its better with than without.

but cams & throttle bodies is where its at.

VIPERONE
03-11-2005, 16:46
certainly the biggest diffrence i saw was when i decatted the vehicle. an induction will increase torque and slightly increase bhp, if it is located away from the engine:@ ie in a cool spot.

the ulimate kits are either hillpowers washer bottler replacement ik or his new air box feed mod.. that does look very good indeed, will be priced around £40.

exhausts are all different... different back pressures have different effects on the engine...

ideally a reamp would be needed in order for the engine to adjust all the ignition variables accordingly, afterall a stock ecu is not a learning one!...
stock ecu is factory set for economy and emmisions... get it properly remapped(not just rev limit increased) and the remmaper will adjust the economy and emmisions, as well a fuelling ect ect..

Ive sat as passenger in 2lives beast, it had a boot full of tools, he over took a standard williams with relative ease! was mental.

chip wizards is the place for remaps.

stock engines can be quick, winstons for instance runs a 14.4 1/4 mile, which is rather insane....
all engines put out slightly different bhp,.. you'd be pushed to find one the same! its du to tolerances in every individual component....
wayne @ chipwizards was telling me that some porches can be 50 bhp up on others of identical stats.....just in manufacturing tolerances....
the same is true of f7 engines..... some are just unbelieveable, where others are just plain crap:-whatever you do they dont benefit too much.
weird eh....

good luck with your expenditure!

Willy 2
03-11-2005, 16:54
Thanks for the great information thus far.

Is 2Lives car standard but just stripped out?

I have a standard engine, but with a Pipercross Induction kit and cold air feed. Im looking for a decated exhaust. Remap to come in the future. I will also be removing the rear half of the interior including spare wheel and cage to help inprove on acceleration.

Not got the dollar for cams!! :cry:

VIPERONE
03-11-2005, 16:56
2 lives has interior in and a spare tyre and it had tools in the back anfd me in the front.

Willy 2
03-11-2005, 18:09
BRING ON THE REMAP !! :D

byers
04-11-2005, 12:03
Thanks for the great information thus far.

Is 2Lives car standard but just stripped out?

I have a standard engine, but with a Pipercross Induction kit and cold air feed. Im looking for a decated exhaust. Remap to come in the future. I will also be removing the rear half of the interior including spare wheel and cage to help inprove on acceleration.

Not got the dollar for cams!! :cry:

i wouldnt remove the rear interior wont make much diffrence, the wheel maybe.. :)

2 live
04-11-2005, 12:15
2 lives has interior in and a spare tyre and it had tools in the back anfd me in the front.

u forgot to mention the babyseats as well.. lol

tbh like gunner said, the cheapest way to go faster is to run lighter.lol.

after that, the most noticable diff is in the de-cat, add that to a cat back exhaust and freer flowing air filter and u shud have a fairly quick motor. mine ran 14.6 in this trim, with rear seats and spare out only, cage weighs fuk all, and 1/2-3/4 tank o juice

after that ur really looking at cams/headwork/remap, and to see the gains out of these, could really be better to have all done at once, but u dont have to have them all done together, i had my head fitted with kent cams, and sightly worked valves, bolted to a freshly rebuilt meg 2.0 btm end and saw a 0.2 improvement down the strip, but i must say, i wasnt overly convinced of the gains the cams alone made. until i had it mapped to suit of course.

with the map in as well, i was running 14.1s consistently, and 14.0 as a pers best. as gunner said in this trim it was quite an animal,100+ pull was immense.

now im running with std 1800 valver head and std williams cams but with the remapped ecu, the diff between the std ecu and the mapped one is again huge. std map, jesus' cammed willy is quicker, mapped ecu, im quicker than jesus' cammed willy.

Daz.
04-11-2005, 16:50
all this in theory could work for the valver too i'm thinking!

Surely a decat on a 16v is a good thing, more torque would come in very handy sometimes... :roll:

VIPERONE
04-11-2005, 17:03
making a valver willy pace isnt too difficult... however making it club pace is more difficult..majority of us run modded engines. lol.

in my valver i could stick with a williams until he changed in to 3rd gear.

Daz.
04-11-2005, 18:05
Oh I know that!

be nice to have a few horses to play with until I figure out whats going on with the car engine wise.. it'll be a good year maybe longer till its engine swap time (unless it blows up before then 8) )

kj16v
04-11-2005, 18:54
DazOrz Can you do me a favour: Your car has two throttles(excuse me if you already know this). In the engine bay, Turn the quadrant for the small throttle and open the throttle as far as it'll go so that it opens both throttles. Now grasp the the quadrant for the larger throttle and try to open and close it. Is there any play in it?