PDA

View Full Version : stripped hyrid to be born

Gav
01-11-2005, 23:49
Alreet boys n toys.
Was in coversation with the westmids boys today at the bodyshop. And we have made the decision to make a clio hybrid, stripped to too fcuk exactly like the nana but not as good probebly.

Anyway, i have someone offering me a valver for 550, needs alot of mechanical work [except engine, thats pukka cuz it hasnt been in the car, been under a sheet for 6 mths, so anyone want a 1.8 16v engine i may have one soon], Shall i go for this one or look out for a more mechanically stable valver. Were gonna get the engine from Hillpower and build it ourselves, unless a better willy engine comes up for sale somewhere else. Everything on it will be for racing, interior will be stripped til only 1 carbon fibre seat left, heaters removed, everything heavy. And we know some company here in tamworth that can make us a carbon bonnet and boot apparently. May see if we can get front wings done also.
Just wanna know is it all worth it? It wont ever be going on the road, and when i bring it to wc meets it will be on a trailer, so we wont ever use the car for daily use or weekend fun. The lads are unsure about the valver they want a mk1 saxo or nova, and this is NOT GONNA HAPPEN! So i need some pos comment from fello wc ppl to show to them.

If this happens it will be finished in 6 months as we have 3 men per job being done except engine were we will all be chipping in. We all got the money on standby.
I really need to convince the lads its a good idea as some have kids and 1 has one on the way and they dont like throwing money away.

Let me know what you think lads n gals.

Gav

Winston
02-11-2005, 04:21
*drooooooooooooool*

Saxo or Nova ......ave a word :wink:

Rich
02-11-2005, 08:57
clios basically dont like to be neglected so if everything is done properly and they are maintained you wont ever see a problem!

Anders
02-11-2005, 10:49
forget about carbon fibre mate, unless you have stacks of cash. Yes it is light and strong, blah blah blah, but a bonnet and a boot are hardly stressed items.

If you can, I would rather go for GRP. A tad heavier, but will save you a lot of money to spend on other things.

If you can, you could also throw the doors away, install a roll cage and have GRP doors also, with perspex windows. Plus there is a lot of brackets and crap that can be removed that if thought about, you can use tiewraps instead of.

Lightweight fixings, so replace steel ones for good grade Aluminium ones or titanium if you feel flush.

Lots of things can be done to strip the baby out and reduce weight. But remember - get it weighed after and see the distribution corner to corner..this WILL effect handling and suspension set up...also a good add-on is a pedal box so you can tweak the braking bias front/back to match your new set-up.

u33db
02-11-2005, 10:57
500quid seems a lot for one that needs mechanical work...you could easily get better on the likes of ebay IMO.

Why not a nova though?

IIRC they're suppossed to be lighter than the clio, can get them cheaper and theres WAY better engines to put in them. Much as i love clios, sod paying upto 1k for 150bhp engine when you could have 300+ for far far less.

Garage local to me does this stuff...see what you can do with a rechip;
http://wallaceperformance.co.uk/c20let_software.html

or if you've a bit m,ore cash;
http://wallaceperformance.co.uk/wpmaxengine.html

Martin
02-11-2005, 15:27
Nova is a good option if only for the 2.0 XE engine which is cheaper to tune than the F7R but the clio is designed for the 1.8/2.0 and will not need seam welding etc and will handle well straight out the box...

u33db
02-11-2005, 15:31
Yeah i agree but thats kinda of irrelevant - if you were to put that much power in a clio it'd need seem welded too, as would almost any other small hatch....not that it expensive or hard to do i suppose.

Zollo
02-11-2005, 16:18
If you're making a track car, you really want it seam welded anyway, no matter what the car.

Not sure you can get 300+ brake for £1000 though! To get a C20LET in a Nova you'd be looking at £1500 realistically. Then that's 200 brake standard. Another 100 brake is expensive and quite difficult to achieve, even on a turbo.

edde
02-11-2005, 16:25
The Nova is a better car than the Corsa for tunning/ track work as there cheaper and they do have some rallying history. A 2.0 turbo Nova/Corsa you can pick up quite cheap and 250hp is just a remap chip away. However they don't handle as well as a Clio would there was one at Donny and the ring they weren't well in a stright line but on most bend I kept with them my my diesel the WIlliams/16V were much quicker in the bends (or least the owners were more dedicated)

Martin
02-11-2005, 16:31
Your right there Edde but I think it comes down to drivers mostly I did pass that Turbo Nova though... :)

Gav
02-11-2005, 18:12
thanks for your help fellas
Granted i could do alot more to a nova, but i dont like them at all, hate them and their reps and i wont have any enjoyment in tuning that up

Thanks to anders for the help and tips and u33db for the links. I will talk to the lads about the GRP insted of carbon, and get some prices on ali brackets etc.

It is going to be a clio, nothing else, i think im going to keep looking thru ebay see what i can find, but the engine is mint so may make some cash on that. I'll let you know what we decided to do, but it is going to be huge competition for the nana thats for certain.

Cheers Lads

Gav

Swervin_Mervin
02-11-2005, 18:23
Is there any point to seam welding if you go for a half decent cage?

Zollo
02-11-2005, 19:08
I'd imagine so, because a cage won't get into all those hard to reach places! Particularly if you don't get one that goes to the suspension mounting points and engine bay.

Anders
02-11-2005, 19:47
One tip, and a biggie, is to remember to run all your new brake lines and fuel lines inside the car...you don't want these being damaged by a stray stone or rock..

Try and get the underside of the car as clean of components as possible, this way you can create your own flat underside and help with the ground effect.

How about converting to RWD mid engine??? You have a bear shell right?? Perfect opportunity...too many horses in FWD is a big No No.