PDA

View Full Version : clio williams misfire

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 18:54
Hi there, new to the forum and new to owning a clio williams 2, just a question im hopeing that some of you clio fanatics could help me out with. When the car is running it idles fine for about 30 seconds and then the idle drops to 700rpm and the car sounds really rough like a misfire, also when i drive along at about 2500rpm all of a sudden there is a big delay in power and a misfire then all of a sudden the car will shoot off. Ive changed the plugs, dizzy cap rotor arm and given it a oil change but to no avail. So any suggestion or advise much appreciated.

Thanks

Slithers
31-10-2005, 19:01
Check the CAT

Oh and hi.

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 19:13
it sounds like its hunting for the revs, the revs die down then the car revs itself back up, then it settles for a bit and the same thing happens again.

BRUN
31-10-2005, 19:25
does this happen when its hot ?

this sounds exactly what mine was doing a few weeks ago, only ever happened from cold though

Tommo
31-10-2005, 19:27
Lumpy idling is quite common problem with these cars mate, I have the same problem which I have never been able to sort, I have put it down to the car having kent cams and try and live with it, if your car has cams it could be this? Try a search of the forum as it's been discussed many times and there are loads of things you can check.

Don't know about the misfire mate, again try a search as this has been discussed before.

Sorry I wasn't more help.... :(

Oh and welcome by the way.... :)

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 19:28
yes it does it when its hot and cold, worse when its hot though

Lunner
31-10-2005, 19:43
Check the cat etc and that the silencers aren't blocked

Also might be worth checking the air filter isn't blocked up

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 20:03
thanks for all the replys guys, :D

big hp
31-10-2005, 21:03
Idle control valve?

Temperature sensor?

Fuel filter?

tony16v
31-10-2005, 21:52
I got a similar thing on mine, but it only does when cold...

replaced the temp sensor the other week and made no difference...

I'm trying the ISCV next...

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 22:21
let me know if it works or not please mate, also anothor question how much of a job is it to replace the sterring rack and also to do the engine mounts.

FATBOY
31-10-2005, 22:32
hmmmmmmm steering rack! well as i was led to believe renault dont make the power steering rack for the williams anymore! all they do is recondition your old one! am i right guys?

FATBOY
31-10-2005, 22:32
oh and welcome to the site mate! hope we can be of help!

big hp
31-10-2005, 22:38

I've got a williams ISCV sat on the side if you havn't got one. Bought it off Matbrown but turned out my problem wasn't ISCV as I tried it but it still did it then found the real cause of the problem.

Can have it for £20 what I paid for it.

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 22:48
how much of a job is it to fit the rack.

big hp
31-10-2005, 22:50
how much of a job is it to fit the rack.

Not that easy i'm led to believe.

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 23:17
do they normally go on the clios, the problem is when you turn the steering wheel there is a good 2-3 inchs of play/slack before the wheels start to move, so would you say this is definatly the rack

FATBOY
31-10-2005, 23:19
hmmmmmmmm i think the steering column could play a part in the "play" thats why i think alot of the guys on here get the steering column welded up??? not sure if thats right but theres plenty of other peeps on here who may be able to help you!

gwionsavill
31-10-2005, 23:40
ill have to have a closer look i think, do you know any specialits around the cardiff area

big hp
01-11-2005, 00:59
Your problem is steering column. Theres a universal joint down the bottom which wears out. Easy fix is to get it welded. Can be done still on car. I know the common price people pay is £30. I bought a new one from Renault for £140 then welded my old one up and sold it.

I've got a pic somewhere, let me find it. will show you what were on about and can print it off and take it to garage to show them what you want doing.

big hp
01-11-2005, 01:02
The universal joint on bottom has been welded up to eliminate any play. This is what they used to do on the cup racers I believe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/big_hp/PICT0197.jpg

BRUN
01-11-2005, 01:18

mines got a fairly new ISCV on it, but, let me know if it fixes it

gwionsavill
01-11-2005, 13:15
this is great stuff guys thanks a lot

VIPERONE
31-12-2005, 23:39
he fixed the idle fault by replacing the iscv

stew
02-01-2006, 14:24
Welcome mate!

ISCV is usually the problem. Mine used to have a very stange idle when warm, but now after cleaning the ISCV, throttle body and inlet manifold its way better. Should have seen then amount of crap in them. I recommend NOT using piper-x filters of ITG etc. The oiled filters seem to cause any dirt passing into the engine to stick to the ISCV, thottle body and walls of inlet manifold. Maybe not a bad thing, but means cleaning becomes a annual (or anal :wink: ) occurance!

Anyway with all that cleaned, a reset ECU (battery off for 5 hours), and a tank of shell optimax, the idle was WAY better, and throttle was more responsive, no hesitations even in slow revs. Well worth doing IMO, as it only took 1 hour of my time.

Look at Retro Renault Forums for guides by Chris_H on all these things! 8)

VIPERONE
02-01-2006, 16:47
this fault isnt an obvious one... its a stupid one.. my problem is at its worst for the first ten minutes.. no matter where i rev to the poower can die off... then all of a sudden it comes back on.. causing me to judder, or nearly go in to the car infront.. im changing iscv asap.. and probably coolant temp sensor..we'll see where that takes us..lol.
it did it today on a roundabout.. i nearly span the ****ing thing

VIPERONE
05-01-2006, 15:55
he fixed the idle fault by replacing the iscv

however i didnt.

lol.

back to the drawing board

VIPERONE
05-01-2006, 20:42
_---------------------FIXED-----------------------_

Lambda Sensor