PDA

View Full Version : Horrible grinding noise...

Willy 2
08-03-2005, 10:02
Morning all.

So I was on my way to a supplier meeting and as i was nearing my way there, an unusual noise started to come through into the car, this got louder and louder making a grinding and a kind of fluttering noise. Luckily by this time id reached my destination and thought it was best to examin after my mett or id be late!

Meeting done, i popped the bonnet and checked everything i could do in a suit: Water fine, Oil level fine, nothing leaking, oil pressure fine so i assumed it was nothing internal to the engine...

Anyway cut a long story short the alternator has broken with the bearing on it knackered. Anyone know if i should replace it with a new one or get one from the breakers. Obvioulsy a new belt to replace it will go one. Is there anything else I should do whilst this is being done? Cambelt was done 15k ago. Also any hints or tips when replacing the alternator belt as its bloody tight in there!

Any info will be very welcomed indeed.

:D

KingStromba
08-03-2005, 10:22
Altenator is about £85 plus a bit of labour. Might as well get a new one as the one from the scrappies coulf fail tomorrow and then youll have to go through this all over again.

Willy 2
08-03-2005, 12:15
Cheers. :D

Rich
08-03-2005, 13:50
alternator is an absolute bitch to change! bleedign fingers time mate! i found it easiest form underneath but i did have my mate's ramp to make it much easier :P

J o n
08-03-2005, 14:07
Alternator is a byatch of a job, but should only take about 2-3 hours if it's your first time. Best way to do it is take the bonnet off (4 screws iirc) and then remove the drivers head light (3 screws iirc) and this will give you plenty of room to do it. There's an extra bolt on the willy that the valver dunt have too, just losen this (it will become obvious what i'm on about when it comes to taking the ****ed alty out... lol)

Willy 2
08-03-2005, 15:13
Cheers guys much appreciated!! Already have the headlight and bonnet off in prep for when i get the new alty. Haynes manual says something about removing drivers wheel and inner w/arch....or is this for something different?

Either way im just pleased its not anything more serious.

:)