PDA

View Full Version : Valver vs Valver

clowo16v
30-10-2005, 16:26
Had a tussle with a Naples valver coming back from Cleckheaton today. We were going the speed limit down the Osset bypass then we both went southbound onto the motorway and booted it. Left him for dead :-p especially in 3rd gear pulled away and kept pulling away right up to 120mph where he gave up. Probably had 10 car lenghts in it at least.

See ya

Matt

Scott-16v!
30-10-2005, 19:55
you bloody liar i beat your ass, pulled loads on you!!

:wink: :lol: where the fuks cleckheaton? :lol:

clowo16v
30-10-2005, 21:36
Near bradford.

Ur a liar mate, Naples red is like anti go-faster stripes. Naples "Lots Slower" Red it should be called :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See ya

Matt

Justin..
30-10-2005, 23:25
:o How dare you

:wink:

Andyvalver
31-10-2005, 10:31
Yours must be modded mate or his must be broken lol. I raced another valver once and it was just the same :shock: Naples looked better doin its thing though :wink:

gtbloke
31-10-2005, 11:31
I dont see the point in racing another valver... i mean its the same car isnt it 8)

Andyvalver
31-10-2005, 11:39
There not the same are they :shock:

JayR
31-10-2005, 11:45
Test of driving skill if anything!!!

clowo16v
31-10-2005, 14:48
Its just my gearbox really mine goes a fair bit quicker in each gear.

See ya

Matt

JonnyK
31-10-2005, 14:54
and which gearbox do you have?

i am in the market for a new gearbox!

clowo16v
31-10-2005, 17:56
Its a hybrid lol. 1st 2nd and 3rd are a bit lower ratio for acceleration and 4th and 5th are a bit taller for top speed.

See ya

Matt

Andyvalver
31-10-2005, 18:04
surely you should lose out in 4th and 5th. Valvers struggle in those gears as it is, and if they were taller it would struggle more :?

clowo16v
31-10-2005, 18:07
Yeh but it does 100+ in 3rd so its right on the revs in 4th. Just checked and 3rd is a longer ratio aswell. Pulls to the redline in 5th dead easy. I used a calculator we had in work to work out the best ratios then fitted the ones nearest to that.

See ya

Matt

Zollo
31-10-2005, 18:54
So if you lowered second and raised third, wouldn't that give a bit of a flat spot? And I'm surprised it pulls an even longer fifth :shock:

J o n
31-10-2005, 19:20
So if you lowered second and raised third, wouldn't that give a bit of a flat spot? And I'm surprised it pulls an even longer fifth :shock:

dunno, it's weird, but notice that when you change from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd your not actually on cam... my diesel box was even worse for this, but 3rd came in at 105mph almost and the flat spot wasn't really bad enough to cost you... on the road the power lost is minimal, but power gained seems ridiculous... for example 4th gear at 4k on my old box, as fast as a valver (i mean identical) in the flat spot and slower than a Williams by 2 car lengths... however, once it pulls on cam it leaves the valver easily and pulls back on the Williams and storms past to 140+mph... very weird indeed... it makes no sense at all to me

Zollo
31-10-2005, 19:24
Sorry, you've lost me :? :oops:

J o n
31-10-2005, 19:33
well if you redline 1st and 2nd (assuming 6'500k) when you change into the next gear it's not on cam (4.5k rpmish) until the higher gears, so in the higher gears making them taller but being in the right revs should actually see an advantage... if you see what I mean... the gearbox I had was 40+mph in 1st and 65ish in 2nd, but change to 3rd and the cars at 3800rpm... but this doesn't really matter as it's in a lower gear so can pull more freely anyway, so the flat spot isn't actually as bad as you think. Best way to see this would be get 2 std cars and increase the rev limiter on one of them, will have a similar effect in that you can hold onto the gear and power for longer. Once your car is on cam it doesn't really matter about the gear ratio (well, within reason), it should still be able to pull. the problem I had on mine was 5th gear... change from 4th and it really didn't have enough power... to even pull itself on cam. I did find a rather big hill to try this and IF you can get 5th gear on cam it would happily just pull all the way round and well off the clock... wouldn't do this tho... the wind noise coming through the vents that I manually closed was scary as hell... as was the light change in direction causing the car to travel a lane or two at a time :shock:

Zollo
31-10-2005, 19:44
Ah, I get ya. Basically a flat spot isn't so critical in the lower gears because it can pull through it.

Still, I'm surprised Clowo's can pull a longer fifth when some people are saying a Valver strugges to pull a standard fifth. Even if the standard box drops off-power in fifth, once its back on, being shorter, it should be pulling easier after that.

J o n
31-10-2005, 20:12
exactly Matt, in the lower gears your car being on cam would probably just light the wheels up constantly. Reno got the ratios worked out very cleverly if you ask me.

I honestly cant understand where people get this valvers dont pull in 5th from. Griffidh (Wayne) who I've known for years has a valver with over 100k on the clock and it is fooking awesome, it is the fastest 16v I have ever seen (bar Kirminators in 4th gear...), it was as quick as PK's silver one at lower speeds with 2 of us in it and in 5th will whip round to the limiter in 5th, i've been upto 130 almost in the passenger seat and it has revs left and is still pulling. There honestly must be some not so good valvers out there, as these two are the only ones i have been in to silly speeds and tbh when my car was standard (bar gearbox) there was nothing in it from rolling 1st gear to 70mph. Ive also driven it and it's very very quick.

oh, before i forget, the power in 5th could be actually easier to access if 4th is incredibly long and also worth mentioning is that rpm will almost certainly be out. on my old box 6500rpm on the dials was actually 6980rpm, but now is accurate... :?

Daz.
31-10-2005, 21:08
Wish I could have a blast against one of these super quick valvers, it's wierd but mine was the quickest one I tried (and bought!) and will fly upto 120, then for no reason it just stands on its arse and takes an age to go anywhere else...

Also does everyone notice that 3 people in a valver just destroys everything! handling, power!

Andyvalver
31-10-2005, 21:43
^^^^ I agree. Up to 120 its really quick but then after it just crawls to 130-135 and 3 people in a valver is gay and makes it sloooooow :shock: :P

Scott-16v!
31-10-2005, 23:30
^^don't have fat friends :wink:

Martin
31-10-2005, 23:57
Hehe just strip the beast out it's like -1 passenger.. :P plus no room for more than 1 passenger anyway...

Andyvalver
01-11-2005, 15:37

:shock:

I would strip it winston but i people go in the back every now and then :wink:

Scott-16v!
01-11-2005, 17:08

:shock:

I would strip it winston but i people go in the back every now and then :wink:
i'm not winston lol :? :lol:

Andyvalver
01-11-2005, 17:19
I know your not. Was trying to reply to 2 people in 1 post :shock:

:lol:

clowo16v
01-11-2005, 19:20
It used to light the tyres up in 1st and 2nd when I was racing anyway, doesn't do it any worse now, infact its better as it gets on cam quicker with less throttle.

Its weird to explain how it works, but basically my 3rd gear is not as short as the standard Valver, but not as long as the standard valver 4th. This means that although for a second till it gets on cam mine is slower, it then acclerates more or less as fast as standard. When a standard Valver changes to 4th, mine is still acclerating fast so I gain speed quicker. Dont know if that makes sense :?

Problem with the gearbox is I never uprated the selector forks so they're starting to go again. Hopefully the next gearbox I build should be fully uprated.

See ya

Matt

Swervin_Mervin
02-11-2005, 12:15
exactly Matt, in the lower gears your car being on cam would probably just light the wheels up constantly. Reno got the ratios worked out very cleverly if you ask me.

I honestly cant understand where people get this valvers dont pull in 5th from. Griffidh (Wayne) who I've known for years has a valver with over 100k on the clock and it is fooking awesome, it is the fastest 16v I have ever seen (bar Kirminators in 4th gear...), it was as quick as PK's silver one at lower speeds with 2 of us in it and in 5th will whip round to the limiter in 5th, i've been upto 130 almost in the passenger seat and it has revs left and is still pulling. There honestly must be some not so good valvers out there, as these two are the only ones i have been in to silly speeds and tbh when my car was standard (bar gearbox) there was nothing in it from rolling 1st gear to 70mph. Ive also driven it and it's very very quick.

oh, before i forget, the power in 5th could be actually easier to access if 4th is incredibly long and also worth mentioning is that rpm will almost certainly be out. on my old box 6500rpm on the dials was actually 6980rpm, but now is accurate... :?

Tried it in mine John. Mine was hardly any slower (apart from when you hit 4th) than PK's, but once it got to 130 with revs to spare it just wouldn't pull.

Andyvalver
03-11-2005, 15:39
I had a blast yeterday and had a look at what revs were at in what gears. changing from 2nd gear at 7000rpm in to 3rd it went to just over 5k at the start of 3rd. Thats bang on i think. Same when i went to 4th too. Straight into peak power.

Hope that makes some kind of sense :wink: