PDA

View Full Version : Williams - Slow?

gonch
29-10-2005, 22:01
Was thinking of getting one but speaking to a mate he said he drove one and was dissapointed as it was not very quick?, he said it was good fun and handled well but was average in a straight line?
any comments and comparisons plse

Daz
29-10-2005, 22:02
Probably doesn't feel quick as the torque is all the way over the rev range.
It doesn't feel crap then kicks you back in ya seat.

Point to point - it's quick.

Martin
29-10-2005, 22:04
Compared to what lol A williams will seem slow in comparison to a well sorted evo or Skyline or summut...but for a hot hatch it is pretty quick especially in tweaked form.

Zollo
30-10-2005, 10:39
I think they're pretty quick off the mark and in the first three gears, but not amazing after that. Perhaps he did a lot of the driving on the motorway?

And as Daz said, there's no kick-in-the-back shove at high revs so they don't feel quite as quick as they are.

gonch
30-10-2005, 10:58
You mention tweaks, what simple tweaks are possible, what would make a diff and what have you done?

Zollo
30-10-2005, 11:07
Decent cat-back system, straight-through decat pipe, and panel filter are the first things. After that, cams and a remap are supposed to make a big difference.

It's pretty easy to take some weight off the car too. Spare wheel and cage, parcel shelf, boot carpet and rear seats take about 15 minutes to take out, and lose about 40 kilos straight away.

Dancliovalver
30-10-2005, 11:16
well to be fair, when i first went in the valver it just seemed to feel abit slow, but tell him to test drive one again and look at the clock go up as he's toeing it, thats wen u realise how quick ur goin!!!

Andyvalver
30-10-2005, 13:16
Unless you have owned a subaru impeza a skyline or something simular then then a williams wont seem quick in a straight line. Its probably the most fun you can have round corners and its clio sport 172 pace :P

big hp
30-10-2005, 13:21
Unless you have owned a subaru impeza a skyline or something simular then then a williams wont seem quick in a straight line. Its probably the most fun you can have round corners and its clio sport 172 pace :Ps afast

It's faster than a 172, i've never had a problem with them 8)

Jan
30-10-2005, 20:51
It's pretty easy to take some weight off the car too. Spare wheel and cage, parcel shelf, boot carpet and rear seats take about 15 minutes to take out, and lose about 40 kilos straight away.

LOL - such a sceptic not so long ago :wink:

Zollo
30-10-2005, 23:42
Damn you! :P :twisted:

OneEyedWilly
31-10-2005, 04:04
To add a semblance of reality to this discussion, a Williams in standard trim (and I mean standard, not WC standard :wink: ) is a 150 bhp hatch.

If the guy drove a standard one it would be easy to be unimpressed with the straight line speed.

Certainly modded they absolutely fly and the handling has to be experienced to be believed but in standard trim, rocket ships they are not.

2 live
31-10-2005, 16:05
true they not rocket ships. but even in std trim an i mean std, with a scoob in std trim, the willy would still give it a good run for its money...

NickFr
31-10-2005, 16:09
A bit confused :? .....0-60 just over 7sec and a top end of 135MPH and that's in standard trim......that's not quick :shock:

2 live
31-10-2005, 16:31
on paper no.......but put it up against the scoobs on the road.......

mine still shows some scoobs the way....and its well down on power to what it was, possibly even lower than std, albeit with a slightly revised map :wink:

renonut
31-10-2005, 19:54
Iv got a few car mags that have got Clio Williams feature's and test drive's in them that iv kept over the years, inlcluding the Williams vs Golf GTI, Williams vs 172' etc etc and a few buyers guide's aswell, on one of the feature's the guys talks about how they put a Williams against a Lotus Esprit and the result was that on the twisties the Lotus never stood a chance against the Willy, the Willy was glued to the rear bumper of the Lotus, he says that at some bits the Willy was capable of overtaking the Lotus, but obviously when he hit the straights the Lotus was gone but the Willy would just catch back up on the bends again 8)

And they all still reckon to this day that the Willliams is the ultimate "point and squirt" car and the "bench mark" for all other hot hatches. 8)

Sometimes its not all about how fast a car will go in the straights, but what's it like on the bends, i think some poeple miss the point of hot hatches and are looking for fast motorway speeds, whereas the Williams etc are more about the "fun factor" , especially on B roads :P i used to own a few 1916v's and although fast but not the fastest on straights, but on twisty roads it was fantastic, nothing of that time could catch me, and iv no doubt the Willy is even better, iv got a fast performance saloon, its bloody great on the motorway, grinning from ear to ear, but once i get on the country roads the Williams would leave me for dead,

sorry for rambling on guys :lol: