PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Williams 2 ECU Problem

Marko
28-10-2005, 09:41
Hi, I have a rather serious problem with my Williams 2's ECU. The wiring loom that runs above the gearbox has over time worn through and the other day created a dead short that at first blew a fuse. Replaced this but somehow before this happened it caused a transistor in the ECU to get so hot it melted the piece of circuit board it's sat on and sank halfway through the board!

An auto electrician mate of mine has got hold of a company that fixes this kind of thing but unfortunately it looks like its gonna cost the best part of £350 +VAT to fix . So basically now as I see it I have a few options:

1) Pay the price of repair and be done with it.
2) Try to find a replacement Williams ECU
3) See if anywhere can do an exchange chipped ECU (superchips etc).

Does anyone know if the 16v and williams ECUs are different? Obviously they wil have different mappings as standard, but could I find a normal 16v ECU and get it chipped as a williams one to get the same results?

Secondly, anyone know where I can get a williams ECU from?

Cheers

lewis_willy2
28-10-2005, 11:10
sorry cant be of any help on this 1, try renault for the advice? or wait someone will know, anyway i got 2 16v ecus, cheap if needed

lewis

James Clio 16v
28-10-2005, 11:18
16v and Williams ecu's are different and 2nd hand ECU's don't come up for sale that often. I dread to think how much a new one would cost from Renault.

Best bet is to give Andy at GDI a ring, he may be able to help you. He's number is 01954 719007.

Good luck

James

u33db
28-10-2005, 12:50
Answered over on cliosport but you'll probably get this first with the notifications etc...

Secondhand williams ECU's go for about 50-60quid - try on here (matbrown), f7power.com, cliosport.net or infinicar.com.

16v and williams are different - running a 16v ECU in a williams can be done but it'll be lean at high revs so a bit dodgy.

If you can't get a williams ECU then Hillpower.co.uk will chip a 1.8 ECU to 2ltr spec..and improve the map at the same time. Again, 16v ECUs can be had for 30-50quid and the Hillpower chip is about 200quid.

kj16v
28-10-2005, 12:52
If you have no luck I could probably fix it for you for a small fee.

Marko
28-10-2005, 21:14
Thanks for the replies, have emailed a few companies to see whats available from them, gonna ring some local places tomorrow too.

If it is possible to chip/re-map a 16v ECU to work tih the 2.0 then thats what I'll have to do, the chances of a Williams ECU coming up for sale on
its own look pretty slim.

From what the Auto Electrician said this isn't an unheard-of problem with 16v/Williams, i.e. the loom above the gearbox causing a short. Apparently mine doesn't have the original protective conduit around it all the way so this may have happened and been repaired before. I'd definately recommend checking yours! Thank god mine cut out while I was driving along an empty road near my house and at no more than about 40, I dread to think what might have happened had I been overtaking or on the motorway when it happened :shock: