PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Help - Thermo & fan qustion

Anders
27-10-2005, 15:47
OK, as you are all aware I have been rebuilding my Willy 2 for the past few months now and last weekend was the big cross fingers and turn the key.

I am glad to say that everything works fine and drives even better than I remember.

Anyway, I have come across a strange problem. I left it running to build up temp in all fluids (on axle stands in 2nd gear) and get oil in all the right places. However coming up to where the fan normally cuts in - NOTHING. Just kept getting hotter, but when I switched it off to prevent it cooking itself the fan then cut in!! What the hell. It obviuosly has power and a trigger from the thermostat but why not work when running??

FYI, I have ordered a low temp thermo and switch although I doubt I will need it this coming winter in Finland!!

Any ideas?? Cheers

MatBrown
27-10-2005, 17:03
Bad earth?

Mat.

VIPERONE
28-10-2005, 18:01
no bad wiring, ive had this , you need to look at the fan switch and inspect the immediate wire that leaves the sensor and follow it back as far as you can.. i rewired it with fresh wire,, next check the diode which is situated in the passenger suspension turret fuse box... replacement may be needed/\
failing that replace the fanswitch, in the mean time run a switch from the fan in to the cabin so you can activate the fan as and when,... i would like to stress, you must use 50 amp wire for the switch... I used thin shite and i realised this when smoke was pouring out of the dash from the melting wire!