PDA

View Full Version : Which spark plugs & Oil??

Tommo
25-10-2005, 12:56
My car is going in for a service on Friday and I need a set of spark plugs, what do people recommend for the Williams??

Also thinking of changing my oil from Mobil 1 (too thin and burns off far too quickly) to Shell Helix Ultra (heard good things about this oil!) Has anybody ever used SHU and what do you make of it??

Cheers
Col

dannyt
25-10-2005, 13:01
Col,

spark plugs, I've tried the renault ones and some Bosch ones from hillpower, to tell you the truth, there wasn't much difference, but i'd say all you need is a single electrode instead of bosch super 4's etc. Go for NGK or Bosch pal.

Oil, I normally use renault motrio stuff, it's a good price and I change it every 3k, so not point putting £30 stuff in!

Tried Total Quartz 9000 last time and it was alright but not better than shell!

Danny

Tommo
25-10-2005, 14:59
Cheers Danny

matty
25-10-2005, 17:55
Have been using Champion Eons in my Valver for a while and they always do the job. Normal NGK ones are supposed to be all you need. Have some Denso iridiums for mine I got cheap to use when I get my engine rebuilt.

As for oil, find Mobil 1 not the best and car has always been fine with either Castrol RS fully synthetic (loads cheap on ebay at present) or Duckhams QXR or Total Quartz 7000 semi synthetic oils.

Doubt the Williams is much different to a Valver in use of oils and sparkplugs (although believe sparkplug model is different)

richy
25-10-2005, 18:00
im using the shell helix unltra at the mo, seems alright, didnt have any problems on track at donny with temps/pressure etc get the usuakl burn a little off but so far cant fault it, ive trying silkolene which was ok but expensive, dont like castrol magnetec stuff, going to try elf exellum next in it :) , plugs shouldnt matter i use std reno ones never had a problem with them

VIPERONE
25-10-2005, 18:15
lol halfords mineral all the way! cheap and excellent

Tommo
26-10-2005, 17:12

I've heard this oil totally eradicates the tappety cold starts, might give it a try! Wonder why more expensive oils don't do this?

Mattie
01-11-2005, 12:37

I've heard this oil totally eradicates the tappety cold starts, might give it a try! Wonder why more expensive oils don't do this?

so do people reckon this oil is worth ago....espesh as its cumin up 2 winter!....or shud i go for the SHU???? thinkin of changin my oil in few weeks time!

BRUN
01-11-2005, 15:41
i use fully synth 5W-40

and NGK BKR6EK plugs

Jan
01-11-2005, 16:08
halfords 10/40 semi synth seems to be spot on 8)

but i've yet to change the plugs :oops:

Swervin_Mervin
01-11-2005, 16:54
I use NGK BKR6EK plugs and Millers Semi 10W40. It's good shit.

J o n
01-11-2005, 17:46
cheapo Halfrauds oil or Costco does the job for me... works better than some of the pricey stuff i've used.

Mattie
02-11-2005, 11:32
think im gona go 4 sum of the halfords mineral then!....c if it dus help wiv the cold starts, worth a try i think now the shity wetheres started 2 set in :evil:

Willy 2
02-11-2005, 18:47
NGK are good Champion are pretty good too from past experience.

For oil it depends on the milage of the car. The lower the rating 5w40 the thinner the viscosity. As my Willy is on 91k and is relatively high mileage i would use 10w40 up to 15w40. A thicker oil can be good for a) burning less b) better engine protection as on higher mileage cars there may be more wear on its parts.

all IMO of course.

:)