PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cable change

Allan
24-10-2005, 19:30
Anyone know how hard / easy this is to do ???

my speedo is making loads of noise infact its louder then the engine at 7k lol :S

so i think i need to change it, works ok but the constant ticking sound is driving me nuts
:)

TriO`
24-10-2005, 19:45
Yeah its a bitch to change mate. well i thought it was... there was no where near enough space to work. consequently i speant nearly 2 hours trying to get a stupid gromet on lol... in the end i just gave up and used the old broken one.

The only reason it's awkward is because they give you the cable with the pedal attatchment secured onto it. If you could just thread the cable trough and secure it to the pedal yourself it would be piss.

I'm sure some ppl will have managed it easily anyway though.

saying that... i dont know why the cable would make a ticking noise ?!?! you sure that's what's making the noise ?

EDIT: spot the twat! I thought you were talking about the throttle cable :P

Allan
24-10-2005, 19:51
lol no worries i need a new throttle cable too :P
mines buggered lol but never mine :)

i will get around to fixing that one day hehe

have done a clutch or two there not to hard :)

VIPERONE
24-10-2005, 20:39
wtf!!?? its a 5 min job lol.. its easy as.

Plattsy
25-10-2005, 07:47
lol throttle and speedo cables are a piece of piss, iirc the speedo from renault is over £20 inc vat and the throttle about 16quid. dont take long to do!

Anders
26-10-2005, 11:56
Speedo cable is fairly easy.

You obviously have to take the steering wheel shroud off so you can get to the lower dials retaining screws. A forceful tug on the cable will pull it away from the dials body and leave you with the exposed connector plus a few wires and circuit board. ALL ONE ASSEMBLY..don't worry the new cable comes with all this gumf.

Next just disconnect the gearbox end, keep the black plastic clip as you don't get this with your new cable. Now both ends are free the esiest way to remove it is to cut it in half and pull out in either direction.

New cable...umm how flexible are you?? My approach was to feed the dial end around the back of the heater matrix from the passenger side of the car, whilst upside down and feet on the seat headrest. The gearbox end is then fed throught the bulkhead and use a blunt screwdriver or similar to secure the larger half of the grommet. Once in the smaller half is just a push fit.

Now, round to the drivers side and feed the other end of the cable up through the dash and out near the dials. Simple push fit on the dial body, and same at eh gearbox end using the black plastic clip from old cable.

BISH BASH BOSH...job done.

Allan
28-10-2005, 09:39
ta for the info :)

if it ever stops raining up here i will give it a go :)

although i think first i will disconnect it to see if thats actualy the anoying sound ;)

wilyolddave
29-10-2005, 22:41
A forceful tug on the cable will pull it away from the dials body and leave you with the exposed connector plus a few wires and circuit board. ALL ONE ASSEMBLY..don't worry the new cable comes with all this gumf.

Hi Anders/anybody which wire do i rearth to sort the idle prob pics would be great!!Or is it easier to fit new cable?? :D [/quote]