PDA

View Full Version : 205Gti

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 13:13
Right anyone know anything about them pros and cons?

Apart from the obvious whats the diff between 1.6 and 1.9?

Loobie_lou
24-10-2005, 13:17
my m8 has one ill ask him if u like

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 13:23
my m8 has one ill ask him if u like

Yeah cheers :D

Loobie_lou
24-10-2005, 13:44
ok i asked me m8s thathave them this is what they said:

not much

the pros fantastic little nippy car with alot of power

cons

its a pugeot
its french
they break alot
its hard to find a decent one thats not had its balls ragged off

pros: they're quick, handling that'll kill most on country lanes, cheap, sexy, easy to fix etc etc.

cons: prone to problems, have been ragged normally.

ermm 1.6 is a revvy little engine compared to the more torquey 1.9. simple answer is a 1.9 engine and swap for the 1.6 box. done it to mine and its quick as if not quicker than an mi16

what budget you looking at??? theres a few nice examples but people seem to push price up heavily. a cheaper option is get a good shell cheap and get a strong engine and build it urself. or get someone to do it for you lol.

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 13:49
Cheers for that :lol:

Ideally it would be for a project track car, just tryin to weigh up if I want to go ahead or not, there are soe cheap exaples on Autotrader, ragged but cheap :lol:

Loobie_lou
24-10-2005, 13:55
tell him to find a good shell.
engine he can pick up from a scrapped car or find an alternative engine.

track car he wants a solid shell and get a cage welded in.

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 14:00
yeah I had a look around and engines can be picked up for peanuts really, proble being is finding one without a sunroof i'd guess for a track day car.

GazTwo
24-10-2005, 15:06
TBH Rob for the price of Clio's these days it would be wise to go for a Valver.....u know all about them and newer so probably easier to find a solid shell.....and from previous experience the Valver is a lot more fun engine wise.....1.9 seemed pretty boring.... :(

richy
24-10-2005, 15:07
i was looking at these before i got the williams, great little motor but id rather use williams for track now, not as cheap but hey!! :)

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 15:22
Good points fellas, I agree the Clio would be a sensible choice, theres a wealth of info on here, Matt for parts etc, plus I've owned a Valver so know what to expect.

The only thing that puts me off is having the Willy also, as my Willy is a lot faster than i'd imagine most 1.8 16v's so would end up having the slower car on track.

Suppose I could just track the Willy and get a diesel motor for daily driver, but don't really want to ruin the Williams, would be gutted when I bang it, wouldn't feel that bothered about banging up a tatty Valver as much.

Tommo
24-10-2005, 15:23
Hmm don't know about the 205 but I had a 309 1.9 GTI a few years back, and as good as it was performance wise, it was totally unreliable, everything went wrong with it and cost me a fortune!! I'd never buy and old Peugeot GTI again after my experience...

GazTwo
24-10-2005, 16:14
The only thing that puts me off is having the Willy also, as my Willy is a lot faster than i'd imagine most 1.8 16v's so would end up having the slower car on track.

Yeah but a 205 would also be slower than the Williams even an MI16 as u well know.....and after that experience I reckon the Valver is quicker than a MI16.

Different cars mate....the Valvers are a right hoot....rev happy.... :D ...just how u like it.

Do what Scott has done but without the roll..... :lol:

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 16:15

Yeah but a 205 would also be slower than the Williams even an MI16 as u well know.....and after that experience I reckon the Valver is quicker than a MI16.

Different cars mate....the Valvers are a right hoot....rev happy.... :D ...just how u like it.

Do what Scott has done but without the roll..... :lol:

hmm possibly, theres one on Trader £650 in Wigan, looks a bit shitty but spose thats what you want in a slag :P

GazTwo
24-10-2005, 16:17
DO IT....get it as cheap as u possibly can...u've got nothing to lose....just walk away if he won't drop the price plenty more out there.

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 16:35
DO IT....get it as cheap as u possibly can...u've got nothing to lose....just walk away if he won't drop the price plenty more out there.

Well this whole thing was brought about by Stu, he wants the track day car, he wants me to go in with him, but im unsure yet, might just get one on my own :P

Zollo
24-10-2005, 16:53
It's difficult to say that any car is slow from seeing it at a track day, otherwise someone may come on here asking whether they should buy a 996 Turbo or 360 Modena for a track car, and we'd all say no 'cos they're all really slow, particularly around Donington :P

For performance per pound, you can't really can much better than a Hybrid, and you have got the advantage of knowing all about them, and having lots of expienced hands to help out. But if you do fancy a change....

A 205 can be a very fast track car. Even a standard one can embarass badly driven supercars, etc, just like a Clio can. They're not very fast in a straight line, and a Hybrid would paste all but a highly tuned 8valve or a decent Mi16'd one, but on a twisty track a 205 would be more than a match for the Clio. The 1.6 is the sweeter of the two I reckon. Differences are...

Engine (same bore, but different stroke, which basically means the 1.6 is a freer revving, more top-endy unit)
Gearbox (shorter ratios on 1.6, which makes a massive difference)
Brakes (bigger front discs and rear discs for 1.9, 1.6 has rear drums)
Suspension (pretty much the same tbh)
Wheels (14-inch on 1.6, 15 for 1.9)

Pros...

Even bigger buzz, and even rawer than a similar spec Clio
Very light (900kg 1.6, 915kg 1.9)
Mega cheap to fix and for parts
Plenty of tuning options and loads of tuning parts available
Very simple to work on
Mechanically pretty robust

Cons...

Shit to crash in (but you'll be putting a cage in it anyway)
Not amazingly fast in a straight line
Very frisky handling (though lowering them improves matters, cos the weight doesn't move around so much, so less lift-off oversteer)

Zollo
24-10-2005, 16:59
......Just read that it's for Stu as well. On second thoughts, going on yours and Stu's track record (excuse the pun :D ), you're probably best going for something else :shock:

I reckon a standard 106 GTi is as quick around a track as a std Williams/Hybrid. How about one of them? At least Stu would be used to it.

FlamingMonkey
24-10-2005, 19:14
Yeah still not sure if I wanna go in with Stu to be honest, he's got his heart set on a 205, but I'd be swayed the Clio route, mainly cause any problem with it and I know you guys would help me out.

Cheeky, my track record is for spins not for crashes, thats Scott and Stu's area :lol:

Zollo
24-10-2005, 20:32
He he, only kidding :wink:

Although seriously, I wouldn't recommend a 205 GTi to Stu. They really are a bit of a hand-full :?

wilyolddave
24-10-2005, 22:37
Just to add my opinion ive owned a std 1.6 and a modded 1.9(133 bhp@wheels) and they are both good cars deffo go for the 1.9 even in standard form it is far superior in all aspects to the 1.6. Lift off oversteer is a prob with scary moments a plenty(i had one at 105 mph and nearly shit myself!! :shock: )
Having said all that my willy 2 is better than both of these so why not go for a willy/hybrid?
If on tight budget 1.9 all the way!!! I spose its still french!! :D
Just wish i could afford a trackdayer :evil:

GazTwo
24-10-2005, 22:44
Well I was going the route buying it with a mate but it didn't happen....We bought a 205 just for Track with the intention to trailer it but nothing happened so thought sod it I'll buy a Valver and use it daily and get it on the Track....but then along came the Nana..... :twisted:

It's difficult Rob as u well know u find it hard to come off the track in your Williams never mind something your not to bothered if it pops and would u be happy stood around waiting for your turn then knowing u have to come back in to let Stu out again and same for him....

but on the other hand it's half the cost on everthing which is very appealing.

Personally if u can afford it I'd do it on your own.....but means doing what me & Rach do and running both cars.....does the other half not fancy using a Valver as a daily driver????

richy
24-10-2005, 23:07
me bayliss and steve all looked at getting a cheap track car and share the costs but in the end i turned my williams inot one and run a r19 1.4 to work, bayliss now has a valver for track and steve just works 24hr lol, i still sometimes wish i got a valver for trackday's but once im on in the williams i love it!! :) :D :twisted:

Dancliovalver
24-10-2005, 23:18
all i know is that there is supposed to be a second difference in 0-60 times between the 2, but have seen a few 1.6 put up a very fair fight with 1.9s

FlamingMonkey
25-10-2005, 09:17
Gaz, she wouldn't be interested in a Valver, well she would, but she knows how many times my old one was in the garage, she has a 1.4 Clio with low miles and in good nick, so it would have to be a minty fresh valver for her to swap, then your faced with the "it's too good to track" question.

Willy/Hybrid is a good route it's, just again, I have a Willy and it would be silly having a cammed, chipped WIlly to go to work in and a standard 2.0 for track work....hmmm. Could get the cams moved over I suppose?

Questions, questions.

GazTwo
25-10-2005, 09:31
For now I would just go with a standard Valver mate and see how u get on....we all know it's more how u drive it on track than how fast it is.

U'd still need your cammed Williams for meets etc..... :twisted:

FlamingMonkey
25-10-2005, 09:42
hehe yeah the valver does sound the better idea

Zollo
25-10-2005, 10:27
Just use the Williams for track days mate. As you say, it'd be silly having a faster car doing the pootling to work, and you'd be missing out on major fun in the Williams, which is what the car is all about. A Valver is fun, yes, but a Williams more so.

It's always a risk using a nice car on the track, but look at the guys using 360 Stradales and M3 CSLs. Granted, some don't push it, but a lot of guys just get on with enjoying doing what their cars are designed for. At the end of the day, it is only a £3500 hot hatch!

richy
25-10-2005, 11:31
Just use the Williams for track days mate. As you say, it'd be silly having a faster car doing the pootling to work, and you'd be missing out on major fun in the Williams, which is what the car is all about. A Valver is fun, yes, but a Williams more so.

It's always a risk using a nice car on the track, but look at the guys using 360 Stradales and M3 CSLs. Granted, some don't push it, but a lot of guys just get on with enjoying doing what their cars are designed for. At the end of the day, it is only a £3500 hot hatch!

^^ spot on theres ppl who runs £60k+ cars, just use the willaims but dont go so daft lol at the end of the day its not a race its just about having fun in your car, so use the williams!! :)

P.K.
25-10-2005, 16:08
Takes me back reading this thread, I owned a 1989 1.9 pug for 5 years and had some very scary moments in it..yep you guessed it..lift off over steer. The trick was to keep the power down when you felt the back end going but it's hard to convince yourself to do it. The car I had was very reliable, had the valve stems done but that's common on the Pugs.
I preferred my Valver TBH, better handling, more predictable and I'd say easier to tune for less cash.
Also, the driving position was dog poo, you sit very high in them and the throw of the gearstick was not suited to a 6ft er.

j3ned
25-10-2005, 17:09
dont listen to chicks when it comes to cars

Zollo
25-10-2005, 17:23
dont listen to chicks when it comes to cars

Very good advice.

Daz.
25-10-2005, 17:58
hehe yeah the valver does sound the better idea

gwan you know you want to... you can let me have a go then - desperately want to get into the realm of the track, after the respray I want to save some pennies myself and hoepfully get a track car.

LucyLoo
05-11-2005, 00:19
I owned a 91 1.9 Gti for 4 years before I bought the Williams, I found it to be a very reliable car, used it for the 70 mile round trip to work for 3 years, and it only let me down once when the alternator packed up. I sold it to my dad (who's owned 2 previously) and it's still going strong with 160k on the clock. It's a totally different drive to the Clio and TBH I do miss it at times, it was a lot 'rawer' and just seemed a bit more fun :shock:

If you are still thinking of a 205, have a look on www.psooc.co.uk & 205gtidrivers.com

2 live
05-11-2005, 14:53
why dont u just bang a valver/2.0 block in the mrs' minty 1.4??

bingo..willy for keepin nice, clio for track use, both can be used as daily drivers too..unless u bump hers.

but like most have said, dont go too silly and u can use the willy without fear of wrapping it up. altho its not always ur fault that can cause accidents, had a couple close ones myself with cars in front either spinning or just not knowing wot the fuk theyre doing and nearly stoping mid corner etc.

safer option if u 100% dont wanna ruin the willy by crashing it tho...put it in a garage n never use the fukker...ur more likely to bump it on the road than u are on the track......IMO

Andyvalver
05-11-2005, 15:57
Id have a valver because you know all about them allready and they are as quick as the 1.9gti. They may not handle as good (im going on what others have said) but if you gonna track it you will be changing the suspension anyway so it dont matter. Willy track and a good set of springs on a valver and you will be laughing. :D

Swervin_Mervin
07-11-2005, 11:35
Me and my mate are doing the valver route next year. We had others listed like AXs and 205s but having done Ty Croes and Haynes I told him we were going the valver route! :P

Might be slower on some of the bigger circuits but as you can see from mine they're still plenty cuckable on the smaller ones.

Our plan is to get a shitter and strip it and cage it to start with. Then we'll progress with the occasional mod here and there.

FlamingMonkey
07-11-2005, 11:54
Cheers lads and lasses, still unsure what to do yet, gonna think about it over xmas and decide int he new year, never know what might happen :D

Mrs 1.4 is no good, its got 5 doors and looks GAY :P

J o n
07-11-2005, 12:12

All the more reason, will prove to be more of a sleeper! It's not what's on the outside that matters, it's what's under the hood dude... imagine the 1.4 reborn as a 2.0 with Willy track... what a sl@g! would be a right laugh.

Daz.
07-11-2005, 12:21

All the more reason, will prove to be more of a sleeper! It's not what's on the outside that matters, it's what's under the hood dude... imagine the 1.4 reborn as a 2.0 with Willy track... what a sl@g! would be a right laugh.

And you wouldn't have to get out to let your mates out to go to the cash point at the local chavdonalds! :shock:

FlamingMonkey
07-11-2005, 12:26
hehe both true

Hulio
20-11-2005, 04:29
Going back to the subject of 205 gti's,

I had a 1.6, then a 1.9, and then I got a valver and now I have a Hybrid

The 1.6 was much older then the 1.9 but felt sweeter then the 1.9 wich seemed a bit sluggish and just not as much fun as it should have been.
I put it down to the 1.9 being just a particularly slow one....
The 1.6 is definetly remembered more fondly in my memory..

The valver was much more fun then both of them and the 2.0 wide track hybrid is awesome.

A valver would be a great track car for anyone too scared to risk their williams. :P

richy
20-11-2005, 13:27
as said before use ya bloody williams! next u will be locking it away in the garage never to use it again! washed every week then rolled, yes rolled into the garage! :lol:

(edited due to poor spelling!)

FlamingMonkey
20-11-2005, 13:36
as said before use ya bloody williams! next u will be lcokign it away in the garage never to use it again! washed every week then rolled, yes rolled into the garage! :lol:

hehe :lol: