PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

JayR
21-10-2005, 12:31
Right getting a bit worried as my cars been on the road for 3 months with no probs now and due a breakage sometime soon im sure!

The last one was bad which resulted in an engine swap so in theory the car should be running pretty sweet after only 3 months and 45k on the clock..........Iv noticed for a while that the car seems abit tappety and last night i noticed that goin up the revs (slowly) to about 3.5k it seems really whinny, probs does it after but the cars soo noisy i cant really here it!!!

Anyone any ideas? Or is it normal?

Anders
21-10-2005, 14:45
Could be anything.

Was the car/oil/fluids cold?? Always let it warm up before giving it death.
Tappets usually smack about a bit in cold weather starts, OK when warm though.

Have you changed oil yet?

Another potential is that the bearings/tensioners are wearing on the timing belt. These give a nasty whirring/whinning noise about 2-3.5K

VIPERONE
21-10-2005, 18:47
the best and easiest the sort ticking tappets is to change your oil to mineral oil... the 10/40 stuff from haolfords.. in orange tun.. use it for 1000 miles then change

JayR
21-10-2005, 19:24
I always let it warm up to 2 notches on the oil gauge before givin it anything above 3k mate and last night i didnt thrash it at all!

Was well warm by the time i got home aswell!

Oil was changed when engine went in less than 2k ago, as was the belts as was the gearbox!

BRUN
22-10-2005, 01:18
my manifold heat shield vibrates against the hook on the engine near the brake fluid bottle at around 2-3k rpm, that sounds like a whining, could it not be that ?