PDA

View Full Version : anyone do lots of motorway driving?? if so read on...

FATBOY
14-10-2005, 22:08
right i know this a bit of a silly topic but when driving along the motorway and say your behind a HGV with a high trailer do you ever think "**** that was close" when they go under bridges??? cos ive noticed that there is such a small gap between the underside of the bridge and the top of the trailer? same with car transporters they seen ever so close when they go under bridges, has there ever been an accident by a lorry striking a bridge cos the trailer was that little bit to high? ive never heard of one?? something happend on an A road near mine about a year ago, a lorry which had a portacabin on the back had a hiab crane to lift it on,but instead of packing the crane away behind the cab he just left the BOOM resting across the top of the portacabin, went under a bridge and struck it! the boom ended up snapping off and flying across the road! no one was hurt thankfully! but just wondered if anyone has noticed how close the gaps are under bridges???

VIPERONE
14-10-2005, 22:11
yup, it mostly occurs on a and b roads with 1900 spec bridges.. ive know a few disasters occur on low bridges.

Jamie.
14-10-2005, 22:11
do 40 mile a day on a roads to work and back.......... never bothered me abt bridges etc

richy
14-10-2005, 22:17
theres a bridge near were i work, quite low lol the same bus(double decker) and same driver used the road as a cut through and totally chopped the top half off! luckly no one was inside it!!! also the bridge over the road was hit by a transporter delivering cars to us and totalled the frotn end of a un registered megane coupe cab pmsl

summeh
14-10-2005, 23:47
most it ever happens on is train bridges over b/c roads mate... but lorries do have devices fitted these days to warn them of the height etc.

derv
15-10-2005, 11:37
theres one services on the m6 cant remember exactly which one, round midlands area and just as u go under the services joining walkway, theres a dip in the tarmac, but because the tarmac is dipped just before it the tarmac is raised a bit, and when the car transporters etc go over at speed u can see the weight being lifted up a little bit, and with the movement in the lorry suspension and the cars suspension they are carrying, it gets VERY close.

katbloke
15-10-2005, 13:30
Not witnessed anything but any bridge clouting is driver error obviously i maybe wrong but all bridges are 15'6" unless otherwise stated and the driver should be aware of the max height of their vehicles.

Scott-16v!
15-10-2005, 14:20
i know what you mean mate sometimes i think fuk how did that get under there, however ive only ever seen it happen on local low bridges where its caused quite a bit of a mess :shock: