PDA

View Full Version : strnge noise when accelerating!

FATBOY
13-10-2005, 21:47
been using the car for work for the past 2 weeksas im awaiting a new works van! and ive noticed a strange humming/whirring noise when im accelerating coming from the rear wheels??? it sounds like its from them? not to sure? and after ive accelerated and let off the accelerator it whines and then dies down once the car gets slower??? any ideas anyone? or anything to look for so i can rule some things out?

Justin..
13-10-2005, 21:51
wheel bearing?

Lunner
13-10-2005, 21:51
Wheel bearings, or calipers sticking slightly

Jack the rear up and spin the wheel.

How long ago did you have new rear discs, and were the bears replaced wiht new ones, or were the old ones used?

FATBOY
13-10-2005, 21:56
new rear discs were done about a year ago! new bearings on the discs??? is that what you mean? if so then i dont know??? how do i check to see if it is a bearing?? what do i do? cheers

LEIGH-ANNE
13-10-2005, 22:24
to check the wheel bearing has gone, jack the car up and hold the wheel at the top and the bottom, see if there is any play in the wheel at all

FATBOY
13-10-2005, 22:31
to check the wheel bearing has gone, jack the car up and hold the wheel at the top and the bottom, see if there is any play in the wheel at all

cheers! :oops:

LEIGH-ANNE
13-10-2005, 22:32
pmsl, its ok :wink:

Anders
13-10-2005, 23:29
I don't want to scare you, BUT....try balancing the throttle. Not full on, or full off like you have put in your post.

Wheel bearings when they are going tend to change pitch very slightly with steering input - left to right.

Whereas if its a gearbox bearing then they go quiet when the throttle is balanced and get louder when under load - either WOT or full lift off.

worth trying, you never know.

Allan
14-10-2005, 01:51
other thing to test a wheel bareing is go around round corners ;) load up one side of the car, the noise will stop once its unloaded or get quieter anyways and you can tell from that

saves jacking it up.

and if your really unlucky like me you will have 3 go :S
lol that was funny trying to figure which ones it was, so just changed them all !

Mattie
14-10-2005, 11:17
if it was ur wheel bearings wudnt they continue 2 make the same noise even wen letting off the gas untill u slowd Considerably of cors.....

sounds like gear box bearings 2 me! sorry fatboy :(

.....sounds like the same kinda noise i was getting and wen i let of the gas it quitened slowly.....after a few days the noise started getin like a crunchin noise.....then my gears kept gettin stuck and i was loosing power wen pulling off in 1st (as if it was in 3rd).....

get it up on a ramp, spin the front wheels and stick ur head nxt 2 the gear box! best way of telling i think.

FATBOY
14-10-2005, 18:30
gearbox bearings??????????? that mean the gearbox is fooked??? shit!!!

anyways if i turn hard one way i get the noise more than if i turn the wheels the other way???

oh and how much is it to get wheel bearings done??? rough estimate???

Lunner
14-10-2005, 19:21
Bearing is £15, and to get it pressed in/out is about a fiver.

Basically when tehy changed the rear discs did they charge you for new bearings, if not its the bearing.

Piss easy job, i'm down in maidenhead on Wednesday, if you can pop up wiht the part and i'll sort it for you, i know its not very close to you, but still cheaper then paying a garage

Lunner
14-10-2005, 19:22
My fronts cost me £130 for 2 for labour, but the front is more labour intensive, its a 30 min job at the rears, if that, this was before i learnt more about cars, now i would do it myself

FATBOY
14-10-2005, 19:38
cheers lun! i will see if my neighbour fancies the job as hes a mechanic! is there a part number for the bearings??? is it literally a ball??? or is there a kit?

Lunner
14-10-2005, 20:31
Its a bearing kit, you get a circlip, bearing and stub axle bolt, £35 from GSF, from Reno:

77 01 463 523 W/BEARING SET 32.39

Its a simple case of taking the rear caliper and carrier off, 4 bolts, and removing the pads, un doing teh hub nut, loosen this with car on floor, pull disc off, if you are lucky it will come off, but you might need a hub puller, take the disc and new bearing to a garage and get them to swap them around, making sure they use the new circlip, then its a simple case of sliding the disc back on, rifitting the hub nut hand tight, bolting the caliper back on using locking compound, and then drop the car to the floor and torque up the hub nut.

if you get it from GSF you will need either a large washer, or just re-use the old reno nut using locking compound, doen't matter too much on the back

FATBOY
14-10-2005, 20:32
is that wheel bearing set the same code for all 4 corners of the car mate?

Lunner
15-10-2005, 00:19
IIRC its only the same fro the rears, will check tomorrow for you though

FATBOY
15-10-2005, 16:55
sorted! went down to renault

7701205779 front bearing kit = £51.63

7701463523 rear bearign kit = £38.53

had her jacked up and its the o/s/r bearing thats gone! my neighbour across the road is gonna do it for me for £20! cant complain!

oh and both them prices are inclusive of vat!

summeh
15-10-2005, 19:15
i hope thats 4 bearings you have??? cuz if u only got 1 front and 1 rear u got ripped off !!! GSF sell them at 20quid each.

FATBOY
15-10-2005, 19:19
that is per side mate! how much at gsf??? just need the one rear wheel bearing.

Lunner
15-10-2005, 19:45
They are about £15 at GSF with cliosport discount, as i said above :roll: :wink:

R41304 WHEEL BEARING-REAR CLIO 16v/ABS DISC BRAKES 19.60

inc. VAT = £23.03, minus cliosport discount = £20.73

I was slightly off wiht the price

:oops: