PDA

View Full Version : Donny trackdayers.

Swervin_Mervin
12-10-2005, 12:01
WTF happened to Scott and Stu?

Just been looking through Winstone's pics and :shock:

Lunner
12-10-2005, 12:05
Scott entered the gravel sideways at about 9:25 when it was very wet, as a result he rolled.

Stu exited teh final chicane slightly wide, had 2 wheels on teh grass and cus he was still turnign the back end went and he ended up sideways into the end of the pit wall, wiht an instructor on-board might i add, lol

GeeUK
12-10-2005, 12:07
Guy in the Clio tried over taking a Skyline at a bend and it was wet, you know the rest.

Guy in the Pug has an instructor out with him. After the long straight to the S turn he told him to 'give it more gas'.

He did, clipped the grass, instructor grabbed the wheel, Pug spun into the pit wall.

Swervin_Mervin
12-10-2005, 12:08
Shee-yit. Is Scott ok?

Must say teh idea of hitting gravel doesn't appeal for that very reason.

GeeUK
12-10-2005, 12:10
Its when you hit the gravel sideways the cars rolls, its best to go in straight if you can.

Both are OK :lol:

Martin
12-10-2005, 12:11
scotts vid

http://media.putfile.com/donningtoncrash44

Martin
12-10-2005, 12:11
Its when you hit the gravel sideways the cars rolls, its best to go in straight if you can.

How did you deduce that Holmes? :lol:

David
12-10-2005, 12:13
is it possiable for someone to email / PM me the video above as cannot use putfile at work??

J o n
12-10-2005, 12:26
avid, have you got MSN bud? if so i'll send it you when i get in. i'll be home for 4, but am going out soon after but can set it going for you matey.

GeeUK
12-10-2005, 12:31

:roll:

Lunner
12-10-2005, 12:33

He watched you, and learnt :lol:

J o n
12-10-2005, 12:34
looking at the Scott crash vid it's amazing how easy the car rolls over on gravel, i'm pretty shocked tbh as I ran a little wide there myself when it span up on the edge of the curb/grass :? :shock:

David
12-10-2005, 12:38
Unfortunatly Jesus MSN blocked at work but not to worrie !!
Once i have sorted out my PC at home i wil be able to look then

Cheers any way

Martin
12-10-2005, 12:38

He watched you, and learnt :lol:

hehe it took some driving skill to straighten it up for the gravel trap!! :P

Lunner
12-10-2005, 12:44
Bet it woudl have taken more skill to straighten it up and keep it on the track :P :wink:

J o n
12-10-2005, 12:49
Bet it woudl have taken more skill to straighten it up and keep it on the track :P :wink:

yeah but then you can argue that your not pushing hard enough... your not a real man unless you roll your car on a trackday eh Scott? :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
12-10-2005, 13:10
Guy in the Pug has an instructor out with him. After the long straight to the S turn he told him to 'give it more gas'.

He did, clipped the grass, instructor grabbed the wheel, Pug spun into the pit wall.

So the instructor grabbed the wheel? Forgive me if I'm talking out of turn but that's ****ing bang out of order. From the pass. seat the instructor would NOT be able to wind opp. lock on and so grabbing the wheel would only turn the wheels more to the left, thus exacerbating the spin.

What does stu think of that. He seemed like a pretty cautious guy to me at Anglesey so to be told to speed up by an instructor, then lose it and have the instructor grab the wheel before twatting the wall seems a bit out of order IMO.

Obviously I don't know the full story and wasn't there in the seat though.

Lunner
12-10-2005, 13:18
If thats true that the instructor grabbed the wheel i would be having words with the instructor

FlamingMonkey
12-10-2005, 13:21
Well, Stu came round bend a little to wide and went on to grass, his first instinct was to get off it, I think he really should of carried straight on and gradually come off, but he tried to come off grass to sharp and lost the back end, the grass was really slippy.

I believe the instructor was just trying to straighten him up to exit the grass rather than apply opposite lock?

Stu is fine with it I think, he is a cautious driver and did take his time round both days he's done so far, end of the day Stu was driving, so I don;t suppose anyone else is to blame.

His car is going in for work on Thursday and it's costing him £800, expensive day out for him really, hope it doesn't put him off further track days.

Martin
12-10-2005, 13:22
Stu did'nt mention it to me when I was talking to him about it...

Martin
12-10-2005, 13:24
£800 Ouch...tbh it could have been worse just cosmetic damage really.

Swervin_Mervin
12-10-2005, 13:24
Yeah, bummer for him. I didn't think the instructor would really do anything to make matters worse. Bit of a shame knowing that stu is such a cautious guy as well.

Funnily enough there's an evo trackday at Donny this saturday and seeveral people are not going because they think it's one of teh most technical circiuts around and have either been in accidents there or seen bad ones.

It seems that rolling in the gravel is a common thing there. :?

Martin
12-10-2005, 13:27
Aye in it does put me off future track days at donny as I know I would'nt be comfortable drivng round in the wet it really is like an icerink....

It is very enjoyable circuit to drive in the dry though..just don't feck up as all the corners are fast...

FlamingMonkey
12-10-2005, 13:29
I reckon most circuits could be dangerous, I've taken t the approach of taking it easy for a good hour or two, had too many near misses in all the trackdays I've done so far, seemed to work on Sunday, didn't get a twich, skid or spin all day :D

Zollo
12-10-2005, 13:31
Is this the same 'cautious' Stu that span right in front of me at Anglesey? :? :wink:

Like you say Monkey, let's hope it hasn't put him off doing track days in the future.

I wouldn't be to happy with the instructor if it was me.

FlamingMonkey
12-10-2005, 13:34
Is this the same 'cautious' Stu that span right in front of me at Anglesey? :? :wink:

Like you say Monkey, let's hope it hasn't put him off doing track days in the future.

I wouldn't be to happy with the instructor if it was me.

hehe, yeah, amazes me how he can spin when he goes so slow....lol

Zollo
12-10-2005, 13:40
hehe, yeah, amazes me how he can spin when he goes so slow....lol

That's exactly what I was thinking at the time! :shock:

dannyt
12-10-2005, 13:44
Opel Fruits! :shock:

FlamingMonkey
12-10-2005, 13:45
Opel Fruits! :shock:

Starburst I think you find young man :P