PDA

View Full Version : nearly crashed the car today.......

bigjim
10-10-2005, 22:42
:evil: was driving to work behind an old volvo estate heading up a hill that is also a bend which has a pedistrian crossing at the top and i cant see shit because of the volvo anyway she decideds to slam the brakes on to let somebody cross and i have to jump on the brakes (pulling a muscle in my calf in the process) and realise that the shit williams brakes arent goint to stop me going into the back of her so swearve right (thank **** for abs!!) and miss her by an inch and end up half over the other side of the road. i wasnt speeding i was travelling at the same speed as the car in front probably about 30mph. anyway pull up next to her at next lights and tell her to roll down her window and i gave her a mouthfull of abuse she was a right snotty bitch, i asked her if she always does emergency stops for pedistrian crossings she replied yes. ****ing arsehole!! anyway was so close to wrecking the willy and have come to realise again just how shit the standard brakes are, even compared to my last car the 172 cup. was thinking about cams but the car really does need better brakes they are woeful and just dont stop you quickly enough.

Scott-16v!
10-10-2005, 22:53
i had new brakes for the m.o.t. made the world of difference :)

bigjim
10-10-2005, 23:13
thing is mate the brakes are nearly new, its just that the standard set up is really shit. i really need to get some 4 pots and bigger discs because ive lost all confidence in the standard set up, really.

Scott-16v!
10-10-2005, 23:15
ahh i see, should see big improvemets if you do

Lunner
10-10-2005, 23:17
If that had been me i woudl ahve given you a shit load of abuse back, round hewre people just walk out onto pedestrian crossings and you have to stop sharpish, it was your own fault for traveling so close when you knew you had shit brakes.

Which btw i find VERY hard to believe, i'm running smaller discs, 139mm, and pagid fast road pads and i can stop on a dime, iirc 30-0 takes about 3 mtrs, i would suiggest investing in some decent pads (pagids are £30), and make sure the fluid is bled properly and topped up and that you have some decent discs on there (std ones are more then enough)

bigjim
10-10-2005, 23:22
the person hadnt even stepped onto the road they were on the pavement and she decided to slam on the anchors!!! anyway im telling u the brakes on williams are shit. i went from a cup to the wiliams and the brakes on the williams are not in the same league. and the cup didnt have abs either.

Lunner
10-10-2005, 23:25
At the end of the day if they are properly maintained and run properly they will be good, its just the care people take of them, they are better then mine, when they are running properly and mine are mint, there seems to be this obsession wiht getting 4 pots beacsue the std set up is 'shit' when really its shit becasue the brake fluid is 10 years old and hasn't been bled for 5 years etc etc

bigjim
10-10-2005, 23:28
my cars been serviced at every service interval without fail by renault and had new discs and pads fitted 3000mls ago. fact is yes the willy is an older car now and the brakes are not up to todays standards on newer hot hatches which is to be expected so it seems like the logical thing to do to impove the brakes before i think about making it go any faster. 172 discs and 4 pots sounds like the way to go, not cheap but no point in scrimping when it comes to brakes.

Zollo
10-10-2005, 23:47
It varies from car to car. Some Williams brakes are good, some not so. I ran with the standard setup at Donington (including std pads) and they were well impressive for stopping power. I'm still getting 4-pots though, because I want fade-free braking, and that's where the standard stuff falls short. If you've got really shit brakes, there's something wrong with them!

Anyway, the dosey bint shouldn't have slamed on her ancors.

Mattie
11-10-2005, 11:34
ye my brakes r wank!.....iv already gone in2 the bk of my m8 at about 25 mph n i wasnt very close 2 him either, luckily it was only a bump cuz by time i hit him i was only doin about 5mph :D

but i need 2 upgrade mine asap b4 i kill my car, and my self 4 tha matta!

wots a gd cheep kit 2 buy??!?!?!?!?!!?

Andyvalver
11-10-2005, 13:34
Sounds like a close call. Id get some new disks and pads if i were you. The 16v/willy brakes are good imo and you shoult have trouble stopping like that.

bigjim
11-10-2005, 20:18
think it may be the abs as well, really dont like the way it works, prefer cars without it tbh.

Lunner
11-10-2005, 20:22
Take the fuse out.......