PDA

View Full Version : Off Roading at Donnington

Martin
10-10-2005, 19:44
Anyone else venture off track?
I did a bit of 90mph grasstracking first thing, a slowish spin at the first corner and my trip into the gravel trap later on when pushing a bit much..

richy
10-10-2005, 19:51
only about half the car sideways on at the old hair pin, its on camera but need to sort a lead out to download!

FlamingMonkey
10-10-2005, 19:56
Nope not once, deffo a first for me :P

Lunner
10-10-2005, 20:06
Almost spun it at teh first corner, first thign in the wet.

Was going in and got towards the turn in point and i'm thinking, shit going too fast, gotta get off the brakes or i'm gonna spin, car stared to go mid corner and the hte back end went, oppersite lock, and then it gripped, and ****ing spun me back the other way, so i'm now going sideways the other way down the track, again oppersite lock, catch it as its commign back around this time, and sheepishly continue on my way.

That was my hairy moment, althoguh i did do a bit of 4 wheel drifting, trying to take the left hander down the back curves falt out in 4th, the one where you usually have a little jab on the brakes before

J o n
10-10-2005, 20:06
nope, cars supposed to stay on track though aint it? Yoz did go grass tracking for a moment and had me worried for a second, but recovered it to then broadside the corner before the big long super fast straight... lol

GazTwo
10-10-2005, 20:15
None for me, couple of little twitches but no spins... :D

GeeUK
10-10-2005, 20:16
I span on the 4th lap on the S turn after the long straight.

Went in too fast and it was wet.

Martin
10-10-2005, 20:20
Good lad Gee I was feeling lonely for a minute! :wink: lol

I blame the valver track lol nah I was actually well impressed with the handling on avos..willy track is'nt needed imo.

J o n
10-10-2005, 20:21
thort those GTIR's had 4WD Gee? lol

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96379

Lunner
10-10-2005, 20:24

Had a fair few laps behind you Gee, i was having to back off through the corners behind you and then you pulled ever so slightly on the straights, in the end i came in cus i was getting that pissed off

Jan
10-10-2005, 20:34
the curbs were very slippery! almost lost the back end a few times in the sharp right after the kraner curves :?

GeeUK
10-10-2005, 20:38

Had a fair few laps behind you Gee, i was having to back off through the corners behind you and then you pulled ever so slightly on the straights, in the end i came in cus i was getting that pissed off

Oh, sorry Lunner.

As I say, my stock suspension let me down in the corners, but my coilovers came today so I should be fast next time.

Was my car pulling away on the straights then, is urs standard?

GeeUK
10-10-2005, 20:44
thort those GTIR's had 4WD Gee? lol

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96379

Haha, he's right thou, would of smoked him :wink:

2 live
10-10-2005, 20:46
nope no grass trackin or spinning from me .....

had it a little sideways a time or 2, and neednt have bothered with 4 wheels apparently.......lol

J o n
10-10-2005, 20:46
should have smoked him! saw the CS sticker and it was too tempting... may as well let people see the AWT 182 Killer :D

edde
10-10-2005, 20:53
Nope managed to keep it almost on the road. I kept pushing the car though see how far it would go. Got to love the contis though the noise is superb.

Lunner
10-10-2005, 22:31
Standard may ass! :wink: :lol:

Stripped, lowered an insane amoutn and shocks are set to very hard, de-cat, strgith through exhaust (so a race system) and a re-located induction kit, still only putting out std power though, as its done 125k.

You were pulling ever so slightly to start with, obvously initially when the turbo kicked in, btu apart from that it was neck and neck, just didn't have the power there to get past, i think i was later on the brakes than you for the most part too

Zollo
10-10-2005, 22:46
No spins and only one sideways moment for me the whole day :o

GeeUK
10-10-2005, 22:55
Standard may ass! :wink: :lol:

Stripped, lowered an insane amoutn and shocks are set to very hard, de-cat, strgith through exhaust (so a race system) and a re-located induction kit, still only putting out std power though, as its done 125k.

You were pulling ever so slightly to start with, obvously initially when the turbo kicked in, btu apart from that it was neck and neck, just didn't have the power there to get past, i think i was later on the brakes than you for the most part too

Yeah mate, its the displacement I reckon, 1.3 vs 2.0.

I was a little scared of brake fade thou, I was braking much earlier than others, but no point banging my daily driver is there!

Wish there was some decent footage of me on track, nevermind. Coilovers are here, so will check my bank balance and try to get on another trackday with ya all!

Lunner
10-10-2005, 23:05
2.0.....news for you fella, which is gonna make you feel even worse.....1.8 8v....110bhp, and its my daily driver too

Lunner
10-10-2005, 23:06
Im actually really tempted to do Anglesey towards the end of this month, or ulton in december, only thing is is the weather

GeeUK
10-10-2005, 23:41
Nah, dont feel bad, I know what was slowing me down and have made note.

I was running near stock PSI on the track also, as I did not want to over do it. My boost controller has been setup so no choice really.

Top end speeds others with bigger displacement will reel me in, but 0-60, 0-100, I think I know which motor would get there first :twisted:

With my coilovers on a shorter, twistier track with not such long straights I think would be more suitable for my displacement.

Anyway, regardless of power and set ups, I had a jolly good time and will deffo be back!

northy
11-10-2005, 08:36
no spins for me, was well impressed.

im back on standard shifter now - didnt recon too much to the quickshifts with a standard williams seats...too low for my comfort.

roll on oulton park ! :D

J o n
11-10-2005, 08:42
roll on oulton park ! :D

wrong choice of words there pal

northy
11-10-2005, 08:44
heehee - thats for scott :wink:

Mooseman
11-10-2005, 09:29
two cheesy moments through the chicane - coming in thinking I'm in a williams, but realised I'm in a rwd :lol: no spins though, all that insurance money wasted lol

Zollo
11-10-2005, 09:42
all that insurance money wasted lol

You'd have been driving round like that guy in the Ferrari though otherwise :wink:

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 10:35
if you don't use the grass at donnington you weren't trying hard enough LOL

there are plenty of places where there is plenty of room to run wide on the kerbs.

:-)

/y0z

2 live
11-10-2005, 10:42
does help knowing the track tho as well mate lol

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 10:51
lol, this is true, have been there a lot recently.

Did an evening there a few months ago, a day there 11th Sept, was racing there on Sept 17th and then again on Sunday, but saying that, we had not had the valver out on track at all, so was good fun learning how it coped with the abuse.

/y0z

northy
11-10-2005, 10:52
and the results ?

2 live
11-10-2005, 10:53
i think it coped admirably

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 11:10
i think it did amazingly well. It is a 135 BHP car that was annoying a lot of much more powerful kit when we were just farting about showboating it through the corners, she went very well when i tried some just for speed quick laps and was excellent throughout.

:-)

everyone who came out in her was suprised at how well she went.

/y0z

northy
11-10-2005, 11:20
and future plans mate ?

J o n
11-10-2005, 12:36
2.0.....news for you fella, which is gonna make you feel even worse.....1.8 8v....110bhp, and its my daily driver too

not been funny mate but i'd bet my balls on Gee's car pulling swiftly away from you... it's RAPID. you need to remember your coming into and out the bends a fair bit quicker due to handling, so the momentum will give you what you need to pull... if this was the case then my cars faster in a straight line drag than an R34 Vspec II Skyline... but I very much doubt this, I could keep him honest because of superior cornering ability. I'm only saying this in Gee's defense as his car had no problems sticking with the 182 we raced on the way back, the guy thought it was a GTIR just sitting on him... lol

Zollo
11-10-2005, 12:38
I was in Toms black 182 and Gee's car was pulling on him out of the corners, and it was only when the 182 really got into it's pace was it keeping up.

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 12:38
when Gee was going for it at the end, there was him, me then atego and i couldn't get past him, he just romped away on the straight, and i was all over him in the corners and on the brakes, he just wouldn't let me past so i could slide around the last few corners before we came in :-(

/y0z

GeeUK
11-10-2005, 13:22
lol!

Yeah, Jesus that does make a lot of sense, he would be carrying the corners faster than me, I keep repeating myself, but this is where people catch me up.

No more excuses thou, my coilovers are here! lol!

Yoz, sorry mate, will be faster in the corners next time and will try not to brake so early :wink:

BTW, Jesus, I wasnt even racing with the 182, I was just keeping you in my distance so I didnt get lost! Think I should of joined in the little do now! Motorway was busy thou...

EDIT

Yoz, Mr A said he got our last lap on film, should be nice to view when he uploads it!

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 14:07
Gee, I was only teasing.

I saw the last lap and saw a bit of me going sideways through a few corners LOL

/y0z

J o n
11-10-2005, 14:13
like I said Gee, I was pulling on pretty much everything on the straights where I could carry more speed into the corners, the difference it makes is incredible. Example.

last corner before long straight and I go round there and go up to 120ish maxing 4th... Yoz and Jon get upto 125mph on average, Jon in the wet and Yoz in the dry. Thing is Yoz was in the dry, but was changing about 10mph too early into 5th... I never saw 5th gear all day. Just goes to show what difference momentum makes. I was seriously impressed with the straight line performance of the Glanza, as was 2 live. I kept saying to 2 live "is Gee still with us?" whilst racing the 182 and he's saying "yeah, he's just sticking to the 182 haha". Very very quick motor that... will deffo eat us Williams boys alive once your finished tinkering I'm sad to say :cry:

northy
11-10-2005, 14:22
like I said Gee, I was pulling on pretty much everything on the straights where I could carry more speed into the corners, the difference it makes is incredible. Example.

last corner before long straight and I go round there and go up to 120ish maxing 4th... Yoz and Jon get upto 125mph on average, Jon in the wet and Yoz in the dry. Thing is Yoz was in the dry, but was changing about 10mph too early into 5th... I never saw 5th gear all day. Just goes to show what difference momentum makes. I was seriously impressed with the straight line performance of the Glanza, as was 2 live. I kept saying to 2 live "is Gee still with us?" whilst racing the 182 and he's saying "yeah, he's just sticking to the 182 haha". Very very quick motor that... will deffo eat us Williams boys alive once your finished tinkering I'm sad to say :cry:

you serious ?

i was having to go into 5th around the bridge on the back straight. didnt do it everytime due to the shifters not being set up correctly.

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 14:26
you should be hitting about 120 odd by the time you go under the bridge in a williams I think.

Jesus, after seeing 9 lives driving yours i should he taken it to the limit in every gear - he did LOL. BTW even the valver was seeing 5th down the back straight.

Jesus, we weren't even going into the last double apex that well, i was arsing about as it is a throw the back end out there, you can probably take another 15mph on the exit of that corner which will put you at 130+ at the end of the straight (if you have the legs and the brakes)

/y0z

J o n
11-10-2005, 14:27
deadly serious... :?

you prolly went quicker through there tbh mate, I was in 4th taking it easy on the downhill bit, but the corner at the bottom before the bridge i was making up for it, that was my fav corner, that and the first one, which I could go round pretty fast. but yeah, didn't use 5th once, mainly 3rd and 4th... sometimes 2nd, but only if people were holding me up... like your kid or whoever was driving when coming through the chicane... lol

northy
11-10-2005, 14:32
good - im glad he went sensable in it...he just ows me a steering rack now :wink:

y0z2a
11-10-2005, 14:32
sorry, i think we might be talking about different sections of the circuit.

/y0z

Zollo
11-10-2005, 14:36
Same as Northy, I was getting into fifth going under the Dunlop bridge, but only hitting 110 (at a guess, didn't look at speedo).

I also had to go for 5th going down Craner, otherwise I'd hit the limiter just before the left-hander :x

northy
11-10-2005, 14:46
yep into 4th half way around the top right hander towards the bridge, into 5th at the bridge (even in the wrx i was changing in the same places) and braking when the building finished for the chicane....

never saw the limiter in 4th through the craners though !

Lunner
11-10-2005, 14:51
I was pretty damn close the limiter in fourth going under the bridge, think i was hitting 105, i was flat out in 3rd around teh final double apex corner, was usually flat out from mid corner, hitting the end of 3rd almost straight on the exit

GeeUK
11-10-2005, 15:17
Is there another trackday this month?

I am extremely tempted now I have my suspension.

Lunner
11-10-2005, 15:30
There is Anglesey at teh end of the month, thats only £85, i'm tempted by that but its a long way, or you have oulton park on the 10th dec.

You dont' have to go wiht everyone else, there is track action, easy track, and god knows how many other track day compnaies

GeeUK
11-10-2005, 15:32
Where is Anglesey then?

And why would I want to go by myself?

Surely its more fun going with guys from the club? :?:

J o n
11-10-2005, 16:36
tbh Yoz i dont really know the track corner names, so we're prolly getting confused... could someone post a pic with the corner names?

Lunner
11-10-2005, 17:19
Anglesey is a long long way away, furthest north west tip of wales, it is more fun going wiht other people you know, oulpton on the 10th dec is the one for you then

northy
11-10-2005, 17:47
http://www.trackdays.co.uk/shared/images/circuits/donnington-map.gif

northy
11-10-2005, 17:48
http://www.trackdays.co.uk/shared/images/circuits/donnington-map.gif

Lunner
11-10-2005, 17:49
arrgghh i'm seeing double!

richy
11-10-2005, 19:03
i was hitting 5th everytime down the back straight hitting 110 before backing off a tad early as i kept locking up in the morning, had a new miss into the back of lunner and with a golf gti behind me locked up! lol

Lunner
11-10-2005, 19:09
LOL, see my std brakes ARE impressive, lol

richy
11-10-2005, 19:28
lol u braked about 2mile beofre the end of the straight ! i spoke to the golf driver after and luckly he saw what u did and managed to get his onto the other side and miss me!

Lunner
11-10-2005, 19:31
:oops:

Not sure why i did that, i was braking just before that road on the left, and just getting the speed off to take the chicane in time, actually went in too fast a few times and ran a bit wide

richy
11-10-2005, 19:35
u didnt this time mate lol it was well before u road on the left! shat meself lol :lol: owell all is good no accidents(for me!!)